Author Topic: Volunteers Needed: Spring Cleaning of the Help Files  (Read 594 times)

SpyGuy

Volunteers Needed: Spring Cleaning of the Help Files
« on: April 03, 2021, 09:57:56 AM »
Hey everyone.  We've had a Valenkudos drive for 2021.  I'm thinking we continue on with the community momentum and work together to clean up some of the help files this spring.  This was discussed on Discord awhile back and there have been multiple instances of people getting frustrated that help files are outdated, inaccurate or in some cases misleading. This is a barrier to entry for newer players, returning vets and perpetual n00bs like me.  Well guess what, we can do something about that!

Caverin has generously offered to help facilitate and implement this and would like to move discussion of it to a separate board so we can organize it better and don't clutter the GDB.  I have some ideas on how to organize it all but am welcome for suggestions and comments below.

Here's what I'm asking you to do:

Step 1: Send a request in tagging Caverin in the title that you'd like to join the help file cleanup boards.  (Request -> Join a Clan forum -> Put 'Caverin - Help File Cleanup Boards' in the title)

Step 2: Help me organize how we split up the help files and then dig through them to find anything that can be improved.  We can post revisions and reasons why on the other board after joining.

Step 3:   Profit.  Because if this helps retain a few new players then that's more boots for everybody.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 10:05:27 AM by SpyGuy »

williamson

Re: Volunteers Needed: Spring Cleaning of the Help Files
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2021, 11:08:54 AM »
I'm happy to help.
"Let sleeping characters sleep naked." -Azroen

Brytta Léofa

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2021, 03:25:21 PM »
Idea: What about maintaining all the public help files in a GitHub repo? Too much?

By maintaining I mean: staff own the repo and approve changes; help files get pulled directly from the repo into new game builds.
<Maso> I thought you were like...a real sweet lady.

Barsook

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2021, 04:32:14 PM »
I like that idea but everyone can see the pull requests, unless you can set it to private.

SpyGuy

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 07:28:53 AM »
Looking for a way to improve the game for newer players?

Ever want to trawl through hundreds of help files looking for typos?

Does the idea of discussing with staff the best way to update important help files that haven’t been touched since the early 2000s excite you?

We’re still taking new people who would like to help out!   Flag mistaken help files, comment on ways to improve them or submit revisions yourself.  We could use help however you can give it. 

If interested in getting involved please submit a join clan forum to unclanned and include Caverin and help file cleanup in the title.

Lotion

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2021, 08:34:21 AM »
I made one such request and it's been open threee days. Might have been missed because I put my arm account username in the title as well
A staff member sends:
     "Hi, we don't need you to tell us EXACTLY what you are doing when you quit OOC.  We just need a vague reason.  Thanks."