Skellebaine and direction sense

Started by Brytta Léofa, March 31, 2021, 12:57:51 PM

Not exactly QOL, but succinct, and I didn't want to log in to IDEA:

Make skellebaine the great nonlethal PvP poison with this one weird trick: add a heavy direction-finding penalty, such that the victim really can't spam walk to safety.

You stumble around, tripping balls, and lose your bearings.
<Maso> I thought you were like...a real sweet lady.

Thats a great idea! A huge pentaly, such that even master dsense can be fooled.

This should already been in place. Strange it isn't. Good idea.
Czar of City Elves.

April 02, 2021, 06:06:05 AM #3 Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 06:08:54 AM by Inks
Find out IC. Trust me.

Find out IC is a crap answer. You maybe can't tell exactly where you are super easily, but you can walk in a general direction and not veer off course at all despite being almost entirely incapable of seeing reality.

Quote from: Hauwke on April 02, 2021, 04:58:30 PM
Find out IC is a crap answer. You maybe can't tell exactly where you are super easily, but you can walk in a general direction and not veer off course at all despite being almost entirely incapable of seeing reality.

That is what I thought I recalled from surviving a mekillot attack while skellebained with a throwaway character in like 2011.
<Maso> I thought you were like...a real sweet lady.

The proposal and the current state of things aren't equivalents.  I think the proposal is really cool and makes sense for the poison.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

So, I think we should consider some IRL psychedelics and their effects as we consider the effects of Skellebaine.
Skellebaine has intense open-eye visuals, auditory hallucinations, and tactile hallucinations. It is not a psychedelic like LSD, DMT, or psilocin-containing mushrooms. It is also not a dissociative hallucinogen. It seems to be a deliriant, to me, like Daturas. This would explain why tons of people in zalanthas are not actively seeking to poison themselves with Skelle in order to trip balls. Most psychonauts will tell you, Datura is poison, not a drug. Pure nightmare fuel. I think Skelle is right there with it.
However, because of the parallels here, I dont think Skellebaine would cause a person to not be able to walk down a road; it will just make the walk scary as fuck. Under the effects of Datura, you could have a horrifying conversation with a 6 foot tall insect. You can also navigate your home and the world without falling on your face every few seconds.
"But skellebaine is fantasy, right? It can do whatever we want it to!" Sure, we can. But it should make sense. With the type of open-eye hallucinations skelle causes, it makes me think that it is a anticholinergic. People have gone to work dodging shadow-monsters on angel-trumpets.
I think a dizziness/disorientation poison is a great idea. But its not skelle. Doesnt make sense.