Bring back full magickers maybe, like as a joke

Started by Yam, April 01, 2021, 10:29:22 PM

Quote from: Brokkr on April 29, 2021, 11:51:39 PM
Quote from: chrisdcoulombe on April 29, 2021, 03:42:01 AM
If you build a relationship with another character for years and find out they are a magicker the only default go to is to hate them, which I find forced and makes for bad story telling because the reality is you would have conflicted emotions.  Even if you hated magic, if that person was your best friend, they were still your best friend for many years.   I think that the  magick hatred is overwhelmingly pushed and a nuisance that hurts role play, and it takes away from the game.  I have almost quit entirely because of it twice.  I'm not saying that means in general there should not be IC hate toward witches, but I also don't think hatred should be forced without consideration to the situation, which has been my experience; twice.

Theoretical example that isn't so theoretical if you followed stories on this sort of thing.  Your family has always gotten along well.  It was unthinkable that everyone wouldn't get together at Thanksgiving.  There were the liberals.  And the Trump supporters.  Words were had, opinions made known.

And the whole group hasn't gotten together since, because they just don't feel the same about the people on the other side.

Like two people who know each other in Arm, some folks were always conservative, some always liberal.  People still got along.  But one of them now isn't just a magicker.  They are -using- magick, not ignoring it.  And you just don't feel the same about them any more.

I think that is a good most case scenario, but should it be the all case scenario?   Perhaps the outside ooc pressure is working as intended to create more internal conflict for the player, but really the internal conflict should be on the character and I think encouraging the player to have their character have that sort of conflict is usually good.  That being said, discouraging a player from engaging the way they think their character would usually isn't.   I understand that it is a way to stop widespread acceptance of magick in the non-magick base, and in the grand scheme of things has worked.   My personal experience with it has been off putting, because it doesn't seem to matter if 99% of your characters would turn on their best friend if they found out they were witches the 1% that don't are instantly shunned out of character even if they have a good reason and character arc to justify why it makes sense they are doing it.  I'm probably wrong I know, but thats the way it has come across to me.
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

Quote from: number13 on April 30, 2021, 12:38:02 AM
Spice should be more like magic. And magic should be more like spice.

Sure, your friendly water healer can cast Cure Light Wounds and Create Water, but it's really good, addictive water. Pretty soon only mage water will fully quench your thirst. And you find that you can't heal as fast any more without magical assistance.

Saying, sure your best buddy is now casting spells, but the magic itself only makes good things happen. If magic caused addictions, it would be as avoided as heavy spice usage is.

I am a big fan of this idea.

I've been watching another Armageddon player (Harmless) stream Witcher 3 now and then (old game I know, we are really busy people), and we love how magic in that game seems to work similar to defiler magic on Armageddon.

After seeing defiling in action in Armageddon once a decade ago (um, I accidentally killed a plant), I have always wished in game magic had more negative ramifications for both the caster and anyone/anything nearby. It fits the theme of the game exquisitely.
ARMAGEDDON SKILL PICKER THING: https://tristearmageddon.github.io/arma-guild-picker/
message me if something there needs an update.

Quote from: Dan on April 18, 2021, 07:08:17 PM
Here is a system I would like to see:

Each elementalist has access to all of the spells of their element.  As they progress down a particular path or after branching there are diminished returns on their ability to branch additional spells. Over a long enough time they may get to those last few spells but it takes as long and is as difficult as advancing to say, master weapons skills.

So the first few spells branch fairly quickly. The next few are branch at a moderate pace.  The next few are slow to branch.  The last few take an extremely long time.  This represents the individuals inherent potential power cap/connection with their element and can also be based on wisdom as a modifier.

So to put it in another way (all numbers arbitrary):

Rukkian A has Very Good wisdom and practices all of their spells at every opportunity:
Rukkian A begins with 4 spells, and has 7 spells at 5 days played, 10 spells at 10 days played, 12 spells at 20 days played and 13 spells at 40 days played, etc.

Rukkian B has Absolutely Incredible Wisdom and practices all of their spells at every opportunity:
Rukkian B begins with 4 spells, and has 8 spells at 5 days played, 13 spells at 10 days played, 15 spells at 20 days played, 16 spells at 40 days played, etc.

At 40 days played two different Rukkians with the same intelligence may only overlap on ten spells while each of them have 15 total with a long road to hoe for the last few.  This would make being a member of a group that can guide a budding mage a bonus, as they could help them toward their goals, while a wild/rogue mage would just discover whatever it is they manage to stumble into.

I would love to see this.  With the exception of a few PC I played for a few hours or days until they died or I abandoned them for a year or two, I haven't played since the elementalist nerf.  I started playing in the high-magick end of the world times with my second or third PC working for Quick, so to me, that is what Armageddon is supposed to feel like. *shrug*
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.