Smells and Oils

Started by The7DeadlyVenomz, March 28, 2021, 07:41:58 PM

March 28, 2021, 07:41:58 PM Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 06:00:42 PM by nessalin

• Most Terrain: This person smells like dust and sweat.
  • Sewers: This person smells like sewage.
  • Latrine: This persons smells like dung and piss.
  • Puke Poison: This persons smells like blood and vomit.
  • Use Soap Self (requires container of water and uses entire container and soap): This person smells like [soap's scent].
  • Carrying dead bodies: This person smells like death.
  • If bodies rotted in stages: This person smells like normal/like light rot/like heavy rot/like death/ etc.
  • If drunk: This person smells like [scent of last drink].

Yes, extend uses for perfumes and oils and stuff, and, if a person smells like anything other than dust and sweat, tack it onto the look command right under health condition.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Honestly, I'd use cleaning oils/perfumes more if they lasted longer.  I've found that if I suitably douse my clean-appropriate character in whatever to go to an event, and sniff myself even before it has reached the midpoint of the event, I'll be back to dust and sweat.  Sure, it is hot out and so on, but the cost to purchase these items is insanely high compared to the time they last.

If they lasted 12 RL hours, I'd clean myself once every time I log in and be fine (assuming I'm playing a char who -should- be 'clean', obviously!).  Yes, realistically your noble is probably bathing every day, but due to the speed of gametime, you're not going to.  Plus, even bathing/grooming once an IC week will likely make you (noble, GMH family member, commoner investing in trying to make a very good one-time impression for some reason) smell a heck a lot better than the bulk of the population who barely scrub the essentials and only when stuff starts to seriously itch or go black.

The timer feels too short, unless you are getting people to sniff you the moment you arrive somewhere...and short of 'snuggle-time', that is unlikely.

I like the idea of scents being attached to people, BUT I'm a little worried about the spice scents.  Not sure making them so obvious is a great idea?

I also want to use soap to clean myself!  Although we can use soap to clean gear without water, so not sure about needing it for this.  Not too bothered either way (if my char has the need to be 'clean', they'll have water...if they don't have water, they won't smell good, makes sense!), but just flagging that inconsistency for consideration purposes :)
Previous of note: Kaevya the blind Tor Scorpion, Kaloraynai 'Raynai' the beetle Ruk, Korenyire of SLK, Koal 'Kick' the hooved Whiran, Kocadici/Dici/Glimmer, Koefaxine the giant Oashi 'Aide', Kosmia 'Grit' the rinthi
Current: Like I'd tell you.

The scent of spice lingers upon you longer than perfumes it seems.  And certainly through more.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Quote from: Kyviantre on March 29, 2021, 11:41:18 AM
I also want to use soap to clean myself!  Although we can use soap to clean gear without water, so not sure about needing it for this.  Not too bothered either way (if my char has the need to be 'clean', they'll have water...if they don't have water, they won't smell good, makes sense!), but just flagging that inconsistency for consideration purposes :)

I've seen people use a combination of spit and soap for cleaning gear. Plus it's more like spot cleaning unless you are covered in something. But to bathe yourself would be hard using spit with the soap. I can see why water would be needed.

What's the timer on the perfumes and oils as compared to say having been in the latrine or sewers? Are they different?
The naked chubby winged halfling flaps its wings and blows you a kiss!

March 29, 2021, 10:11:15 PM #4 Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 10:15:27 PM by The7DeadlyVenomz
I think perfumes should mingle with the scent of whatever you smell like, aside from dust and sweat.
This person smells like roses, and dung and piss.

Oil should wipe it out, since you're scraping your body with it.
This person smells like roses.

As far as timers go, I'd think all terrain or job-related scents should last an IC day.

For perfumes and oils, the timer should be related to the quality of the perfume. Low quality might be 30 minutes. High quality might last 120 minutes.

March 29, 2021, 10:40:02 PM #5 Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 10:42:54 PM by The7DeadlyVenomz
As far as using soap, I know we don't need water, but honestly, we should. Soap doesn't work without moisture, and usually, more than you'll obtain from spit. If I had my say, you would use water AND a tool to use soap. This, in fact, would be a fine use for the grey water that few people use. I always RP using water from something and a brush to clean myself. In this scenario, you drink clean water, and use grey water to either drink or clean with, unless you're rich and can use clean water to clean gear with.

Is that gamified? Probably not. Yet, to me, each tiny sid sink makes me pretty happy, most of the time, as long as it's reasonable. Maybe a cleaning kit, and soap. The cleaning kit is written as having some grey water and a brush, and gets used up. Maybe instead of being used up, a cleaning kit requires a refill of water or grey water.

>use soap boots
Using a shabby cleaning kit and a chunk of lumpy soap, you clean your boots.
You have used the last of a chunk of lumpy soap.

>look in kit
A shabby cleaning kit is a little over half-full of a greyish liquid.

>use soap me
Using a shabby cleaning kit and a chunk of lumpy soap, you clean your body.
You have emptied a shabby cleaning kit.
You have used the last of a chunk of lumpy soap.

I'd require some sort of sand or salt scrub to clean anything other than dust from things other than weapons. You could forage sand, or buy a salt scrub for pennies.

>clean boots blood
Using a handful of sand, you scrub at a pair of boots, getting most of the blood out.
Some stains remain.

I dunno if I'm digressing, but that's how I'd see these sorts of things working ideally.

There's nothing stopping you from junking items you feel are lasting too long.   ;D

I honestly feel like perfumes, for their costs, should last longer than 30 minutes.  You want poop on your boots to last a full day, but not perfume?  What?!  Perfumes are already underused as it is.  You can also buy something expensive from a shop and just JUNK it if you want more of a coin sink.

If you have poop on your boots and you continue to walk around or even try to WIPE your boots on something coarse or even the grass, you'll get a majority of that smell off to the point it's not even noticeable.

In a game where people can spar for literally hours (have you tried sparring for ten minutes straight in full medieval-style gear?), ERP for longer, and conversations DEFINITELY take longer than they should in real life, why are we wanting to shorten something like perfume?

NIGHT time is only two hours.  We make exceptions for playability.  Let's do the same for perfumes and call it at least 8 hours if not Kyviantre's suggestion of 12.  Some of us have rather lengthy login times and would go through a crap-ton of perfumes trying to keep that scent on us.

I can just see the poor Aide now, having to re-apply while just standing there while their noble yakkity yak yak yaks.

How many perfume bottles can you go through in four hours?

Just smoke spice instead.  It lasts longer, is cheaper, and you can fight and not have it wear off!!
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

March 30, 2021, 12:19:23 AM #7 Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 12:22:59 AM by The7DeadlyVenomz
Mmm, yeah, that is a fine point about the longevity of scents. I'd behind perfume and oil scents lasting longer, because playability. I'd still make the quality of it change the length of duration, however.

And I don't like contrived coin sinks - I like realistic ones.

Also ... if you get shit on your shoe, you know perfectly well that the scent does NOT come off because you scraped the turds off the shoe. You have to clean that shit right, or wait the scent out. Yes, it's lessened, but it's surely not eradicated. ;D

Here come the shoe sniffers..
The problem with leadership is inevitably: Who will play God? -Muad'Dib

So let's all go focus on our own roleplay before anyone picks up a stone to throw. -Sanvean

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on March 30, 2021, 12:19:23 AM
Also ... if you get shit on your shoe, you know perfectly well that the scent does NOT come off because you scraped the turds off the shoe. You have to clean that shit right, or wait the scent out. Yes, it's lessened, but it's surely not eradicated. ;D

I know you're really happy about this prospect, but dry shit smells a lot less than wet shit. How long is shit going to stay wet on your boots in a desert world? That miniscule little smear is not going to be noticeable unless your boots are perpetually wet.

Meh. Didn't think about how fast it would dry. Fiiiine.

It can easily take 30 minutes to cross Allanak when you're not spamwalking and there are just two of you flashing speech back and forth every few rooms.  The moment you meet someone you have a reason to stop for (Templar, noble, someone who wants to speak to you, someone you've been looking to speak to, someone doing something with an interesting omote), and that time grows rapidly.

And that is assuming you left home promptly, without having to wait for other PCs to fiddle about, and threw perfume over yourself as the last thing you did out the door/gate.  Which...never happens.  Or at least, I've never found getting out the door that quick.  So you've burned through your perfume long before you even get to the event you put it on for, making it useless.

Money sinks are good, but make them useful, or people won't buy into them.  Give my fancy-pants 'rich' PC a perfume that lasts 8 RL hours, and I will buy it, because there is a chance someone will notice and there will be a 'benefit'.  But 30 minutes, even 120 minutes, might be reasonable IC (and logic), but that is roughly what it is atm...and as DesertT said, everything takes SO much longer because of typing it out.  So leeway to stretch these things would be good.

I like the idea of oils versus perfumes, but you're missing a vital thing.  You might clean your skin with oils, but your clothes/armour will still stink, so that rather scuppers any cleaning you do.  In fact, the perfume is more likely to cover the smell, since that will sink into clothing/leather and make that smell nicer.  Unless you run around nude anyway ;D
Previous of note: Kaevya the blind Tor Scorpion, Kaloraynai 'Raynai' the beetle Ruk, Korenyire of SLK, Koal 'Kick' the hooved Whiran, Kocadici/Dici/Glimmer, Koefaxine the giant Oashi 'Aide', Kosmia 'Grit' the rinthi
Current: Like I'd tell you.

Hmmm. Well, two things here - I agree that the time for perfume and oiled scents should be prolonged. I didn't think about some of the points made herein. I give you that.

The second point, about gear stinking, I agree with too - and I think they should have their own little tags, applied more freely. If you're in the sewers, literally everything should be flagged smelly. If you're shoveling shit, shovel or not, boots, gloves, sleeves, and leggings should all be smelly. If you pick up a body, in theory your gloves, sleeves, bracers, torso and cloak should be gore-covered. Depending on what you skin, leave it as it is now. A rat - gloves bloodied. A scrab - gloves, sleeves. A mekillot - everything you own.