Author Topic: Modified Cars and the EPA  (Read 344 times)

The7DeadlyVenomz

Modified Cars and the EPA
« on: March 19, 2021, 06:44:22 PM »
So, this is less of a political thing than an action thing. I love cars - I play with my own car, and I intend to keep doing so. The link below is to a venture by SEMA to combat a proposed ruling by the EPA that any modification of a vehicle would turn it into a racecar and make it illegal. If the EPA has their way, this becomes a federal ruling that would make me a criminal.

I am behind the advancement in environmental safety and the march towards vehicles which don't contribute to killing the environment, but I'm also a motorsports advocate, and I don't feel like the small subset of people who modify and play with their cars is something that should be messed with. If you support being able to modify your car, please click the link below and send a message to your Reps and Senators that says you support the bill that SEMA has sponsored to protect motorsports.

The website pretty clearly lays out what it's about, and it's easy to participate. Thanks.

http://www.votervoice.net/Shares/BzOepAVoACSFLA83x5X7FAA
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Yam

Re: Modified Cars and the EPA
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2021, 11:18:28 PM »
No. The EPA's website lays out their actual intentions and they do not match the claims made by any of the RPM and related bills put forther by SEMA and it's lobbying group, SEMASAN. You and everyone else who is interested can go to the EPA's website where their recent Clean Air Act reinforcement statements are posted. You can then go to SEMASAN's website, https://www.semasan.com/, and see what they claim that the EPA has stated. One of these two organizations is lying.

It's SEMASAN. SEMASAN is lying. It is an industrial lobbying organization which was spun up specifically to take advantage of legal questions of enforcement of the CCA that specifically target the aftermarket modifications that are used to roll coll. You know, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_coal. The EPA's objective was and is to enforce provisions of the CCA that are currently not enforced as these modifications (called defeat devices, usually) are sold with a wink and a nod that they aren't supposed to be used to coal rollin'. The lobbying group SEMASAN is funded by the companies that sell these defeat devices (in addition to other modifications that should not be subject to the same CCA provisions and the EPA did not mention at the start of this whole thing).

SEMASAN is lying about what the EPA's statements and intentions are in order to make a smokescreen about the actual subject because they know that nobody would support their funding companies selling devices made explicitly for trucks to fart black smoke. They have pretty smartly tried to convince car enthusiasts of all stripes that the EPA wants to make racing and performance modifications illegal. This is not true. The EPA made no references to performance modifications that were not meant to specificailly defeat emissions limits (by... a lot... to fart black smoke). No references to racing.

SEMASAN is a corporate lobbying group that is using your hobby, which the EPA is really not concerned with motorsports. They have scientists who know that motorsports, performance modifications, et cetera are not egregious polluters compared to normal vehicle operation. The people who work at the EPA are (usually, except for that last head) not complete fucking idiots and actually do generally know what kind of stuff is a big deal in terms of air pollution and what isn't.

Please consider taking a second look at all of this. Look at the EPA's actual statements and the short scientific studies that they cite as evidence. They are chiefly concerned with excessive, incredibly excessive diesal emissions and not the types or amounts of chemicals that are produced by gasoline or non-diesal engines. See if any of their statements mention motorsports or legal performance modifications, track racing, or any other motorsports. Then go look again at what SEMASAN claims and what the text of the RPM bill is.

The industry-funded corporate lobbying group SEMASAN is not your friend and is absolutely not interested in your hobby beyond the fact that they make their money from it. They are lying through their teeth to you and trying to use you to pass legislation that says some very non-specific words about motorsports and mostly focuses on the meat and potatoes regulations of... removing the emissions standards rules from appliying to modifications specifically for vehicles used only for competition. As performance/racing modifications are and have been required to adhere to factory admissions standards, this never actually applied to them. It also didn't apply to any care that wasn't specifically a competition car. I.e. this did not apply to the vast majority of car enthusiasts who raced and had racing mods, which again, have been and are (or should be and are advertised to be) in compliance with CCA admissions standards.

I think this is kind of a finished thing anyway, but I didn't hear about this when it was happaned and I was shocked at how blatant an example of cartoonishly evil corporate lobbying this is and they used the name of SEMA which was previously a well respected and not scummy organization and known to car enthusiasts specifically to make you trust them. This kind of shit really should be illegal.

The7DeadlyVenomz

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2021, 04:44:29 AM »
I'll take a second look - thanks for the heads-up. In preliminary study (which I admit lasted maybe a half-hour, so not very long), it seemed pretty egregious, and a lot of people I respect in the community thought it a terrifying thing as well. I appreciate the clarification from your point of view.

And, yeah, using someone else's reputation to suggest that they are in league with you is  ... defamation, I think.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 04:48:02 AM by The7DeadlyVenomz »

Yam

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2021, 02:19:31 PM »
Oh, no SEMASAN and SEMA are affiliated. SEMA's members are the industries who fund SEMASAN. SEMA has legitimate community cred for being around and doing shows for decades and they are spending it on lobbying.

The7DeadlyVenomz

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2021, 03:47:01 PM »
Well, SEMA has always worked for the freedom of automotive enthusiasts  (this wouldn't be the first lobby they've been engaged in) ... and I think the concern here with regards to coal rolling appears to be that its a slippery slope.

That said, it's still not as mind-blowingly draconian as I thought it was when I originally posted this topic, and I'm actually behind elimination of coal rolling on public byways. That shit is actually a hazard.