How Accents Sound

Started by Robespierre, March 03, 2021, 05:12:35 PM

I hope I'm not missing a help file on this: I'd love to know how accents and even languages sound. Is a Southern accent in a drawl? Does Bendune sound like a staccato? It's really minor, but it would be great to be able to describe how people speak, even if you can't convincingly use the accent.

http://armageddon.org/help/view/language

Each language has a little bit of how it sounds, I do not know how the accents sound specifically, but I would assume that a tribal accent shares bendune roots, ect.
Try to be the gem in each other's shit.

In terms of accents I notice a lot of people seem to manage it along class lines. In books based on reality, authors like Mark Twain and Charles Dickens did this famously. Fantasy authors like Brian Jacques have also famously translated this to fantasy in his works (the source of Barsook's icon).

All of this said, I noticed that in Armageddon lower class southern concepts tend to be more heavily accented and close to a "'Rinth" accent whereas upperclass southerners are more proper. In terms of what the 'rinth/southern accent /is/ I have noticed some people play it as southern and others as more cockney but regardless it should be "less proper" if your character is likewise "less proper" or lower class.

It is important not to be proscriptive in all of this as I have seen players be great and inventive here and there is no "one" southern concept. Nothing about Armageddon is meant to represent real life as much as critics might accuse the game of that.
ARMAGEDDON SKILL PICKER THING: https://tristearmageddon.github.io/arma-guild-picker/
message me if something there needs an update.

I think the accents can vary even among the different accents. Like southern can cover storm to nak to various farming villages and what not. Same with northern and tribal is certain a catch all for a variety of different tribes and people.

Not sure even nailing down what they have in common to make it one accent is that important. I think even in the US two people with southern accents may sound very different and still have southern accents.
21sters Unite!

Desert elf accent is a thick, dockside Boston brogue.
I seduced the daughters of men
And made the death of them.
I demanded human sacrifices
From the rest of them.
I became the spirit that haunted
And protected them.
And I lived in the tower of flame
But death collected them.
-War is my Destiny, Ill Bill

Quote from: Shalooonsh on March 03, 2021, 07:38:39 PM
Desert elf accent is a thick, dockside Boston brogue.

https://youtu.be/KtZqajiluhk
roleplaying guide for non americans
ARMAGEDDON SKILL PICKER THING: https://tristearmageddon.github.io/arma-guild-picker/

why I aughta
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

March 03, 2021, 10:56:02 PM #7 Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 10:57:35 PM by HortaCulture
Damn I always hear desert elves speaking like Chinese..  when I read staccato I think of languages doing like the huge flux in sounds all really distinct.. Waaa-zuh chee KAH So...

Now I'm confused and scared!

yeeeeeaaaah sheeee?

(For me I always see them as 1940's gangsters with audacious east coast accents. Don't ask why)
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

March 04, 2021, 02:47:37 AM #9 Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 03:12:15 AM by Inks
Rinthi accent is always English chav or ocker Australian, ay.

Yaroch I always imagine it as Northern English farmer in my own mind.

Northern accent I always hear it as Amish or Dutch accent for whatever reason.

People in Storm don't talk in public so it is a mystery. ;). But most of the muls are from Allanak and would have Allanaki accents for a long time.

This post was largely for fun but that is definately how I hear those accents.

Quote from: Inks on March 04, 2021, 02:47:37 AM
Rinthi accent is always English chav or ocker Australian, ay.

Yaroch I always imagine it as Northern English farmer in my own mind.

Northern accent I always hear it as Amish or Dutch accent for whatever reason.

People in Storm don't talk in public so it is a mystery. ;). But most of the muls are from Allanak and would have Allanaki accents for a long time.

This post was largely for fun but that is definately how I hear those accents.

Very similar to how I imagine it!

I'll add...Allanak is basically southern England for me, ranging from the super posh accent, the regular London accent and the 'rinth is like East-end/Wideboy.

Luir's GMH is like an affected English accent, they're putting it on. Luir's commoner I somehow end up thinking Scottish....I assume because Scotland is North of me....

but then I go posh Europe for North North (e.g. Tuluk...I guess Morin's).

Tribals and elves will range for me depending on how they express their speech patterns and can make me think anywhere between Eastern Europe and India.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

I hear Tribal as Indian for some reason.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

betweenford mentioned that somewhere in official dark sun materials it says staccano is like they speak really fast and then sometimes take short pauses as if even as they speak the desert elves are running and suddenly skid to a stop

Quote from: Barsook on March 04, 2021, 05:04:18 AM
I hear Tribal as Indian for some reason.

RL Romani originated from India...so it kinda makes sense. :D

I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Quote from: Lotion on March 04, 2021, 06:57:50 AM
betweenford mentioned that somewhere in official dark sun materials it says staccano is like they speak really fast and then sometimes take short pauses as if even as they speak the desert elves are running and suddenly skid to a stop

This is the closest thing to a legitimate canonical answer we have in this thread so far! Otherwise there is no fixed documentation besides the programmed accent words. People have interpretation inspired from real life, and that is fine (as many philosophers have noted imagination is often just the amalgamation of what we have seen in reality), with the key caveat that no one gets offensive with it.

On the topic of the previous post, be careful:
http://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular

Staff had to make this list because players were taking accents and cultural references "too far." You, personally, can think an accent sounds "Romani," but Armageddon as a game has no interest in cultural appropriation or disrespect and a few Romani words are actually banned IG.

LOL. This and "elves sound like Bostonians," should be canon.

In my head, anyone talking "southern accent" is some kind of British English dialect, with "rinthi accent" being lower class English.  Tuluk's "northern accent" was an American English dialect, since they had that whole too-happy patriotic police state vibe going on.  Luirs, are they talking in a northern accent or a southern accent?  "Tribal accent" to me sounds like different dialects of Arabic.  Whenever I think of the desert elf "staccato accent," I think of Khosian languages, like Xhosa https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOvR6K78pBc.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

All desert elves have Caribbean island accents.

SLK have Barbados accents.
Sun Runners sound like Jamaicans.
All others have a generic, non-descript patois.
Halaster — Today at 10:29 AM
I hate to say this
[10:29 AM]
I'll be quoted
[10:29 AM]
but Hestia is right

Quote from: Hestia on March 04, 2021, 11:37:05 AM
All desert elves have Caribbean island accents.

I was expecting the thread to be locked after that!  ;D ;D ;D

They all sound like text ran through an ASMR text-to-speech vocalizer to me.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Back in 2003 we had a discussion thread about the possibility of introducing "Change accent <region>" into the game.
At the time we also discussed accents being based on a PC's 'first language' in addition to region. 

So a dwarf with Sirihish as a second language would speak Sirihish with a Mirukkim accent.

I still think about this.
"Never do today what you can put off till tomorrow."

-Aaron Burr

March 06, 2021, 02:50:07 AM #23 Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 04:07:02 AM by X-D
QuoteAll desert elves have Caribbean island accents.

Definition of staccato

1a : cut short or apart in performing : disconnected staccato notes
b : marked by short clear-cut playing or singing of tones or chords a staccato style
2 : abrupt, disjointed

Or, in the words of the great and missed RIP Andre the giant, "I do not think that word means what you think it means."

None of the listed by either staffers is anything near staccato.
In fact...Jamaican is so laid back as to be nearly the polar opposite.
Boston...Heh...You are right about Thick, work with a 58 year old just two years out of Boston and Dude, Look at the definition of Staccato...Boston accent is almost as drawn out as you can get. Dude is almost as funny as Jamaican Mike though. Yah Maan.

stac·ca·to speech (stă-kah'tō spēch)
An abrupt utterance, each syllable being enunciated separately; noted especially in multiple sclerosis.

Some African such as Swahili...But even better Inuit, very staccato language and when speaking other languages native inuit  speakers remain very staccato.

Barbados I have been to, not staccato, Jamaica I go to often, fun peoples...and they have what would be considered a very southern drawl... well, :) A jamaican drawl. In fact, the one I work with today...Heh, his normal greeting is "Yah maan!" Nicely drawn out. In fact, when he is hard to understand is because his syllables tend to run together...exactly the opposite of "staccato".

That being said. I have desert elf accent as being very Yupik, While tribal being far more middle east tribal Bedouin Arabic slightly sing-song. While southern I agree with others, all the accents of the UK. Northern being the nordic accents...think Finland and such.

On a sidenote, the Finland youtubers are all badass... hydraulic press channel you can watch, if you start from the beginning, two people learning english...leo moracchioli is a badass if you like metal covers.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I also hear tribal as arabic bedouin. Nice one :) Is canon now.