Top 7 Armageddon-esque Movies

Started by mansa, March 02, 2021, 04:22:28 PM

Quote from: mansa on March 02, 2021, 04:22:28 PM
Waterworld

Quick, someone invent a filter you can piss into to create potable water (that technology not being silt suit technology at all because of course it is Waterworld, not Dune!).

My crappy movies:
Dune (Lynch version because I am a creep and the new one has yet to be released due to greed)
Rabbit Proof Fence
Into the Forest
No Country For Old Men
Machete
Battle Angel Alita (Nobuo art direction version because again I am a creep)
TANK GIRL

extra: Mad Max Fury Road for same reasons as Tank Girl. It's a way of life and I'm living it, relegated to extra cuz a Mad Max was mentioned

piss
ARMAGEDDON SKILL PICKER THING: https://tristearmageddon.github.io/arma-guild-picker/
message me if something there needs an update.

There is one scene in The 13th Warrior where Antonio Banderas's character branches a new language skill after nights of listening to his foreign companions speak.  It's the closest thing I've seen in a movie to Arm's language learning process.
"Never do today what you can put off till tomorrow."

-Aaron Burr

omg. I can't believe I forgot Lawrence of Arabia. That whole god damn film is Arm. Desert Elves. Waring Cities. Politics. Has many parallels.
Czar of City Elves.

Quote from: slipshod on March 03, 2021, 09:55:26 AM
There is one scene in The 13th Warrior where Antonio Banderas's character branches a new language skill after nights of listening to his foreign companions speak.  It's the closest thing I've seen in a movie to Arm's language learning process.

13th Warrior is definitely ArmageddonMUD fodder for me. Every time I watch it (maybe once every year or so), if I'm not playing, I'll roll up a new PC.

Pitch Black (though Sci-Fi) always reminds me of Armageddon. Murder, Corruption, Betrayal all the way. Plus, Kryl.

The Fifth Element for some reason picks at my Armageddon jazz buttons.
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

Lets not forget Dredd - which is very on par with the amount of power some AoD and definitely the Templarate have in Allanak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxrVyMlL0LQ

(Youtube clip does contain some gore)
I seduced the daughters of men
And made the death of them.
I demanded human sacrifices
From the rest of them.
I became the spirit that haunted
And protected them.
And I lived in the tower of flame
But death collected them.
-War is my Destiny, Ill Bill

Gangs of New York. I have to be careful watching this one during a fun character because it makes me lust for the Rinth.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

I agree with a whole bunch of these!  I would add:

Pitch Black.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luuYRrPaEpM (gore warning) (I've been on this RPT) (complete with someone getting dragged into the air by a swarm and killed)
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

April 14, 2021, 10:10:16 AM #9 Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 10:35:23 AM by Ami
Was hoping to see Mad Max on the list!

Not disappointed.

The Devil Wears Prada if you're an aide.

April 14, 2021, 02:03:53 PM #11 Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 02:38:15 PM by Dakota
deleted bc I'm senile and repeating myself.
Czar of City Elves.

April 14, 2021, 02:33:13 PM #12 Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 02:49:40 PM by Saiseiki
Quote from: Dirtt on April 14, 2021, 12:13:35 PM
The Devil Wears Prada if you're an aide.

Oh gawd that's funny.

It's not a movie, but the HBO series "Rome" has a seriously twisting, viciously-incestuous feel to it while the narrative is focused on the eponymous city.  Much like the feel Allanak has for me, personally.  (The history is gonzo, but the express aim of the show was "authenticity of setting" - I think they hit that mark.)

Intro:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BZmK3_IIZg (Volume is low, but the picture is crisper than the other one I found.)

First 5 minutes of the show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERgVDMnVxPo (Brief, non-sexual nudity - the vanquished Vercingetorix being humiliated.)

Interestingly, the intro music is supposedly composed solely of instruments that existed during this era.

Aaand probably my favorite scene in the entire series.  Just a nice, cozy dinner... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsGEoYUZ6r8
Labor omnia vincit - "(Hard) work conquers all."

+1 for Rome, it's an almost pitch-perfect show.

I'm a roman history nerd so I got mad a lot the first time I watched it, but when taken as-is, it's fantastic.

Quote from: Delirium on April 14, 2021, 02:50:56 PM
I'm a roman history nerd so I got mad a lot the first time I watched it, but when taken as-is, it's fantastic.

Agreed!

I'm NOT a Roman history buff, but it is still, even after all of these really fantastic shows that have come along in its wake, one of my favorite shows of all time. You could just believe every single character. It's rare that you forget that everyone is an actor.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I try and model my entire life on Titus Pullo.

Wet as October is one of my favorite sayings even though my wife has never seen the humor in it.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

DUNE! Come on man! Any Fremen, Arrakis stuff. The other houses in the imperium are the noble and merchant houses of Zalanthas.

I loved Lynch's. Looking forward to the new. Scifi's take..the first I did not like, but Children of Dune was good. Likely because there wasn't a predecessor film.

Just my humble toss of two coins.
The problem with leadership is inevitably: Who will play God? -Muad'Dib

So let's all go focus on our own roleplay before anyone picks up a stone to throw. -Sanvean

Conan the Barbarian. Holes in the ground...Crom! The tree of woe! The Swartzenager . That's my next character's name. :)
The problem with leadership is inevitably: Who will play God? -Muad'Dib

So let's all go focus on our own roleplay before anyone picks up a stone to throw. -Sanvean

April 15, 2021, 02:01:18 AM #19 Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 02:17:11 AM by Saiseiki
Quote from: ShaiHulud on April 15, 2021, 12:28:00 AM
Conan the Barbarian. Holes in the ground...Crom! The tree of woe! The Swartzenager . That's my next character's name. :)

+1  The first movie had a beauty and stark simplicity to it that I found moving.  And of course the casting (Schwarzenegger, James Earl Jones, Sandahl Bergman as Valeria) was a home run!

The masterful soundtrack:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeZL2R9jDJM&t=4034s

Was going to mention Conan!

I'll throw Krull out there.  It's admittedly not the best movie but a guilty pleasure of mine.   The death count is very Armageddon.   I think like 80% of the hero's party are dead by the end of it. Also  scary giant spider.

Yes..One of my top five movies of all time. A shame Hollywood got a hold of Conan the Destroyer.

Game of Thrones?
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

Quote from: Wedi on April 15, 2021, 12:54:10 PM

Yes..One of my top five movies of all time. A shame Hollywood got a hold of Conan the Destroyer.

Track down and read Oliver Stones original 1978 screenplay for Conan the Barbarian. It's insane. He wrote pre-rehab and blasted on cocaine. Massive sequences with mutant hordes and loooooads of other stuff. It's bonkers. Has insect creatures too.

Czar of City Elves.

April 16, 2021, 10:34:48 AM #24 Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 10:36:41 AM by Ami
Parts of NausicaƤ of the Valley of the Wind smell pretty Armageddon to me!