Languages of Zalanthas

Started by Trenidor, November 11, 2003, 09:05:38 PM

^^^I didn't know what topic to put this under, but it relates to codeing the most I guess^^^

While increasing my knoledge of culture and language...I came to a question which I think ties into Role Playing....

Is there a specific way you could roleplay diffrent languages?
What I mean by this is the organization of the nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, plur Nouns, etc.

In an average sentence say..."The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog"... you can see that the verb comes before the adjective then goes the noun.

Now in Spanish, (If I'm wrong with my translation correct me)
"el zorro de morano y rapidimente salta encima el perro holgazan"

Literal English Translation
"the fox of brown and fast/quick (he/she) jump(s) over the dog lazy"
                   [yet again...correct me if I translated that wrong (I just hate pplz that don't dub right)]

Now I'm not saying that this is wise, just I want to try it to make things feel better and to help those of you that have trouble making nomadic tribes have a specific language instead of bendue. Actually, I could go on for a while about pros of my question, and you can make cons of it to...
 Oh, before I continue, I want to bring this up: I hate it when people that are playing can understand your language even tho it's garbled and it's not a common tounge for that character.
----the elf says to you in forigen tounge "geyyo."---
----the elf says in sirihish "I mean, Hello."----

First I'd like to ask the staff if they could code in a better foreign language scrambler, for example, move the whole word, one space to the next space and place it in a diffrent location to better scramble our "personal" talk. Eventually, when you start gaining skill in the area, it will switch only a little, then suddenly when you get to the point it makes it to the skills list, it could stop twisting the words to diffrent locations.

**Understand all that?**

the second question I would like to ask is for those of us who are crazy with RP and are smart enough to do it, could there be a specific order for the diffrent languages?

like Sirihish- Verb adjective noun (just like english)
then Allundean- Adjective noun verb
etc.
I'm not an expert really, so I cant say that would end up correct.

Now comes my concluding paragraph or sentence I should say: Thanks everyone that took the time in reading my nonsense, answer the question plz if you can....Ba'bye
Crackageddon.... once an addict, always an addict

Quote from: "Trenidor"Oh, before I continue, I want to bring this up: I hate it when people that are playing can understand your language even tho it's garbled and it's not a common tounge for that character.
----the elf says to you in forigen tounge "geyyo."---
----the elf says in sirihish "I mean, Hello."----

This is a non-issue, as far as the IC environment is concerned.  You, the player, can discern what is being said only because the other person is typing English, and it's being run through a simple obfuscating algorithm.  However, for all intents and purposes, a character has no such advantage.   Some can pretend to understand or draw conclusions based on what is said, but they cannot be certain, as we can, what was said unless they are able to recognize the word, in which case there's no problem with them knowing it.

That said, if it is important enough, the algorithm might be changed to perform some added manipulations, instead of FIFO, how about LIFO?  LIFO can mess things up alright. Or perhaps use the entire alphabet for obfuscating, not just matching consonants to consonants, vowels to vowels.

For that reason, I don't see any relevance to making changes to the algorithm, unless people take OOC advantage of this frequently.

Quote from: "Trenidor"the second question I would like to ask is for those of us who are crazy with RP and are smart enough to do it, could there be a specific order for the diffrent languages?

This sounds nightmarish.  Complex grammar rules, idiosyncrasies, tribal variations... most people in the Mud would be smart enough to catch on, but is it all that necessary? A more rich environment, but how much effort would it require?  The more realistic it's made, the more it becomes as difficult as real life.

Natural language processing is a frontier field of computer science research... its what I'm most interested in.
 :wink:
hang is actually...