Ways to stop boredom playing

Started by Trenidor, November 11, 2003, 05:32:58 PM

Do you find that other people avoid playing because nothing is happening?

-Do you find that you'd wish to change this?

Here are some ways we can change this:

1.  RP things happening to your character that VNPCs do
 Example:

pemote jumps out of the way as the wide, broken wheeled wagon drives down the road.
 Say (jumping out of the way from the wide, broken wheeled wagon, sand sqirting all over his body as it passes) Hey! watch where your going ya' crazy driver.

2. wish up chats with imm that might be online
 (Not to make the imms any busier, they can choose to or not to reply to this.

3. Get your freekin friends OOCly to log on
 (this one is the funnest, but the hardest to do) 8)

If you can think of others, post them. :D
Crackageddon.... once an addict, always an addict

When you are on, pay attention. Be active. I say this because the last few days have seen me falling asleep, not of boredom but pure exhaustion. It gives nothing to everyone else when everytime they see your character, he or she is just sitting there, unresponsive.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

There is one thing that the mentor of one of my PCs said to me when I first started playing.  He said that I should make goals for myself, these goals shouldn't all be fantastical, like destroy Allanak or Tuluk, but some of them could be.

The important thing is creating multiple goals, both small and large, they don't even have to be related (things that would be both IC for your PC to endevour towards and things that you the player would find fun).  Once you have a few goals laid out, the next step is to figure out how you are going to achive all these things.  This is when the real fun begins.  And if you somehow manage to achive all of your goals, make more, involve other people if you can, you'll make fun for them as well.

-Myrdryn
-- Person A OOCs: I totally forgot if everyone is okay with the adult-rated emotes and so forth?

-- Person B OOCs: Does this count as sex or torture? I can't tell.

-- Person A OOCs: I'm going to flip coins now to decide.

I'm with Myrdryn on this.  I try to have some sort of goal with all of my PCs that is groundshakingly huge and, because I have ADD, out of reach.  But it's still fun.

They also, however have smaller goals along the lines of:

Save up to buy X item.
Move to X location.
Have sex with Lazloth's characters.
Rise to X rank.

Simple, mundane goals but that still will feel satisfying after working for them.  Then I die.

Can I change my objective to: Have sex with Lazloth's character?
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Personally, I've always loved giving my characters a quirk. They don't all have to be set in stone at character creation, you know... You can develop your character's little habits over time. Try talking to your kank. Kissing your lucky ring. Twitching. Sobbing whenever the bard at your favorite tavern plays a particular song. Have your character develop a weird sexual fetish... Like dwarven woman. Be an alcoholic. Be superstitious. Be oblivous. Be obnoxious.

It'll entertain you, as a player, and usually involves other people. Everybody wins!
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

Quote from: "Knock"
Quote from: "The7DeadlyVenomz"When you are on, pay attention. Be active. I say this because the last few days have seen me falling asleep, not of boredom but pure exhaustion. It gives nothing to everyone else when everytime they see your character, he or she is just sitting there, unresponsive.
Good advice, it should be placed in a post withe the subject "how to get karma"  Ill write the post about how to properly flatter and impress the imms.

Nah, just send them a constant supply of beer, yoohoo, jolt cola, or whatever their beverage of choice is.  Cash donations work well also. [/joking]

I don't think the point should be to "properly flatter and impress the imms".  Actually, the point shouldn't even be karma.  I'll just hope you were joking too.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

Quote from: "FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWit"Personally, I've always loved giving my characters a quirk. They don't all have to be set in stone at character creation, you know... You can develop your character's little habits over time. Try talking to your kank. Kissing your lucky ring. Twitching. Sobbing whenever the bard at your favorite tavern plays a particular song. Have your character develop a weird sexual fetish... Like dwarven woman. Be an alcoholic. Be superstitious. Be oblivous. Be obnoxious.

It'll entertain you, as a player, and usually involves other people. Everybody wins!

Quirks are awesome, especially if its a paranoia or a phobia of something normal, like belshun fruits.

Then you can blurt out things to people like, "Don't eat that!"

All of my characters are communist, so you will often see me protesting Capitalism in game.
musashi: It's also been argued that jesus was a fictional storybook character.