Broken Breaking Plants

Started by Lotion, January 24, 2021, 08:49:00 PM

January 24, 2021, 08:49:00 PM Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 08:50:42 PM by Lotion
I have heard rumors that rangers used to have some hidden bonus to 'break'ing plants. One notable example would be the tablelands cacti which from my experience will very rarely contain water and no matter how high my skills are I will almost certainly fail to get anything useful from them. I've heard from old stories how they used to be a plentiful supply of water for rangers but this no longer seems to be the case.

I postulate the following: when making the new outdoors classes staff forgot to give a bonus to plant breaking to scout/stalker/adventurer that ranger previously had.

Any constructive responses are welcome

EDIT:
http://armageddon.org/help/view/break
From this helpfile
QuoteRanger characters, having a far greater affinity with the wilderness than others, have a better chance of using this command successfully.
This strongly implies rangers get a hidden bonus to breaking plants.

Are you wearing gloves?  No idea if it is legit, but anecdotal evidence suggests wearing gloves means you're much more likely to fail.
Previous of note: Kaevya the blind Tor Scorpion, Kaloraynai 'Raynai' the beetle Ruk, Korenyire of SLK, Koal 'Kick' the hooved Whiran, Kocadici/Dici/Glimmer, Koefaxine the giant Oashi 'Aide', Kosmia 'Grit' the rinthi
Current: Like I'd tell you.

There are a couple of objects that use "break" to get something from them that still use an scripting language we no longer actively support, used a couple of decades ago.  I have no indication that these scripts have been updated to the new guilds.

It isn't really on the radar right now to update, due to other things we have on our plate.  Easiest would be to an existing plant "pick" type program, harder would be to something looking at whether you can forage food in the wilderness to determine success.

Quote from: Brokkr on January 28, 2021, 03:09:42 PM
There are a couple of objects that use "break" to get something from them that still use an scripting language we no longer actively support, used a couple of decades ago.  I have no indication that these scripts have been updated to the new guilds.

It isn't really on the radar right now to update, due to other things we have on our plate.  Easiest would be to an existing plant "pick" type program, harder would be to something looking at whether you can forage food in the wilderness to determine success.

Should we "bug" these items in game, so they have a reference to have someone look over it in the future?  Maybe someone can do a minor side-project for the switcheroo for 'pick'?

New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: mansa on January 28, 2021, 04:35:54 PM
Quote from: Brokkr on January 28, 2021, 03:09:42 PM

Should we "bug" these items in game, so they have a reference to have someone look over it in the future?  Maybe someone can do a minor side-project for the switcheroo for 'pick'?

To be honest some of these plants only make sense to Break to get something from them, also I savor holding onto the older parts/terms/code of this game! 

Slow your roll Mansa :P hahaha think back to the lunch break days of learning under Mr. Only-plays-blue-eyes :D Before the Saturday shutdown!  Ok maybe that's going toooo far back..
The glowing Nessalin Nebula flickers eternally overhead.
This Angers The Shade of Nessalin.

Half-elves I have RP get about %60 of the breaks to turn out.

May 05, 2021, 06:07:24 PM #6 Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 06:58:14 PM by Inks
Stop playing dwarves, Lotion. (Never have seen these numbers on an outdoorsy character :) )

Quote from: Inks on May 05, 2021, 06:07:24 PM
Stop playing dwarves, Lotion. (Never have seen these numbers on an outdoorsy character :) )
I've never tried to break a plant on a dwarf.

Gonna work on converting this old script to a modern one.
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

Quote from: Halaster on May 15, 2021, 11:53:55 AM

Welcome back? I haven't really been around myself lately so not sure about anything that is going on but good to see you about. Hope life has been treating you well. 

Please don't leave the helpfile lagging behind.

Quote from: Lotion on May 16, 2021, 08:34:15 PM
Please don't leave the helpfile lagging behind.

I in fact did forget about the helpfile, thanks for the reminder.

Helpfile updated.