Developer Request: Quality of Life improvements to the game

Started by nessalin, January 19, 2021, 01:34:05 PM

Would it be possible to allow us to "taste" spices/seasonings. Seems kind of odd that the only way to find out what a seasoning tastes like is to use it on some food.

Quote from: Mercy on March 01, 2022, 02:27:08 PM
Would it be possible to allow us to "taste" spices/seasonings. Seems kind of odd that the only way to find out what a seasoning tastes like is to use it on some food.

Many of the seasonings/spices have helpfiles. Bloodroot does, for instance, and it says what it tastes like:

https://armageddon.org/help/view/Bloodroot

Actually, it looks like most of them have information:

https://armageddon.org/help/view/Seasonings
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
There is no room for doubt in power. -TJA, 5/20/22

A command like 'tattoos' that shows a current list of all your PCs scars and tattoos

Since we can empty (solid) containers into others, can we please fill (solid) containers from other solid containers?

It could work like 'get all X.container' except that in addition to every get, there is a put.

'fill X.container Y.container'

would send:

get 1. Y.container
put 1. X.container

with an echo like:

You move 1.object from Y.container to X.container

until either Y.container is empty, X.container is full, or the operation is interrupted.

..or a command 'move' that works like above on 1 object.

'move <object> <current container> <destination>

Be able to arrange all objects sharing a keyword in a room.

arrange all.rock in a circle.

You arrange a small grey rock.
Shown to room as:
A few small grey rocks are here, in a circle.

Multi-command aliases. (Did this already get proposed and shot down as too scripty?)

alias ll look north | look east | look south | look west | look up
<Maso> I thought you were like...a real sweet lady.

Hidden things should REQUIRE search to use.

Last time I checked, all you needed was 1 dude with search 15 years ago, and suddenly you know where all the spots are and how to open them for eternity.

This makes search almost useless.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Quote from: Fredd on March 17, 2022, 01:40:13 PM

Last time I checked, all you needed was 1 dude with search 15 years ago, and suddenly you know where all the spots are and how to open them for eternity.

100%.

I'm not sure if this is what you had in mind, but it would be a simple change to check for search skill > 0 when trying to enter a hidden entrance. You don't have to discover the keyword with every character, but by damn you've got to actually have the search skill.

Quote from: Brytta Léofa on March 17, 2022, 01:55:00 PM
Quote from: Fredd on March 17, 2022, 01:40:13 PM

100%.

I'm not sure if this is what you had in mind, but it would be a simple change to check for search skill > 0 when trying to enter a hidden entrance. You don't have to discover the keyword with every character, but by damn you've got to actually have the search skill.

That would be 100% exactly what I was thinking.

Also: I just thought of this in Disc...

We have weapon skills currently unused in the game. And we have two militaries that could use with a little more 'their own feel' to them. What if we gave say, The Arm of the Dragon tridents after reaching Private, and the Sun Legions polearms?
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Please to allow all as a junk keyword, and junk things in containers.

I want to be able to junk all.kindling chest.

if a room literally says it has a pile of rocks, dont make forage rock hard to get stones from that pile, or make that pile able to be targeted somehow? I find it silly you cant forage for rocks, when the desc has a pile of rocks.
Someone punches a dead mantis in it's dead face.

Beast Talker subguild: Part of the Psionist guilds.

Powers: no or very limited ability to effect humanoids with psionics (aka, humans, elves, h.elves, dwarves,muls, and Mantis)

The ability to call, and control animals. including the ability to use the "Command" command on them to guard, follow, emote, ect.

The ability to take over and control animals like rats remotely (This is what I'm picturing the bread and butter ability to be)

Pros: This looks like a lot of fun, and it is a hole in the game that could use filling.

Cons: Someone's gonna fill animal holes, likely day 1.

A targeted hidden emote, where the target will see it, but it could be missed by others in the room.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
There is no room for doubt in power. -TJA, 5/20/22

I'd just like wielded weapons to have priority over sheathed weapons for remove and emotes.

Some sort of 'all' designation when crafting so i don't have to type
craft 1.slice 2.slice 3.slice 4.slice 5.slice into (item)

instead: Craft all slice into (item)

Here's a wild one...

craft with no arguments shows you a list of everything that you can craft using only items in your inventory.

>craft
From a bunch of bunchgrass, you could make...
1) a simple basket from that. [basketweaving, effortless]
2) a sturdy basket from that. [basketweaving, effortless]
3) a well-fashioned basket from that. [baseketweaving, manageable.
From a length of bone and a bitchin' auger, you could make...
You could make...
4) a polished bone flute. [instrument making, difficult]

>craft #4
Notes fly through the air as you begin machining.

This is both a nice craft-discovery mechanism (I've got this stuff; what can I make?) and a crafting shortcut (I don't have to type the recipe every time). It's limited for craft discovery by not referencing items outside your inventory, so you can't just type it in a storeroom and FIND ALL THE RECIPES.

Quote from: creeper386 on January 19, 2021, 06:27:55 PM
Another crafting suggesing.

Sometimes when I do craft <material> it says I can make something but when I do craft <material> into <keyword>, keyword being taken by things in the list from the craft command and it says no recipes matched. The list of things I can craft doesn't actually accurately tell you what you are making. Unsure why the mismatch is but it's confusing. I don't know if this is a bug that should be reported or how the craft command jumbles things up to provide something that's not accurate.

Adding to craft items, itd be nice of some items like skins, not to have the same sdesc if they are tanned or not. Know it's not really a code thing as a builder thing so maybe this is the wrong place.

You can craft by number.

So if you do craft wood and see

1: A cup
2: a bowl
3: a cup with a cityscape carved into it.

You can do "craft  wood into #3"

This prevents keyword mixups.

please allow us to use the steal verb "plant" to put pebble items into peoples' boots. it would cause them minor discomfort in the form of -1 movement point every time they walk into another room but the effect can be removed by removing the boots and putting them back on

Talk, if you're not sitting at a table to turn into say.. Probably already been said but it's been the bane of my existence for 16 years now.
Quote from: Cutthroat on August 22, 2009, 10:57:13 PMSo Eunoli Winrothol, Samos Rennik, and Thrain Ironsword walk into a bar. The Red Fang bartender looks up and says, "Get the fuck out of my bar."

When your bash gets cancelled by threaten it should put you into a delay and make you sit

Here's one for our newer players:

When you join a clan, you should know the DIRECTIONS to the compound. No, character origin shouldn't matter in this, it's playability that matters.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

I don't know if there is a pointer to the Newbie rooms in the Hall of Kings but I think it would be good to have one besides the 'look map' and maybe a pointer for that too.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

I think it would be cool if there was a staff sponsored role for an Explorer. ICly, its a badass solo character that wanders the edges of the world and boldly goes where no man has gone before.
OOCly, they are a room builder, who, after meeting a certain quota for new wilderness rooms written/built, they may return to the known, along with (staff approved) treasures and stories from their travels.

Quote from: Patuk on April 18, 2022, 03:41:17 PM

When you join a clan, you should know the DIRECTIONS to the compound. No, character origin shouldn't matter in this, it's playability that matters.

+1

I've actually recently run into this IC, where it may have been helpful.  The scene turned out fine without it, but I'm still new enough to remember being completely overwhelmed when starting out.  Having one less factor in "mental stack" could be helpful.

(I'm still mulling over ways to address some of what the half-dozen friends I've tried to get on Arm. have told me, in terms of barriers to entry.  So frustrating, 'cause I know they'd love this darn place and its stories if they could get to them!)
Labor omnia vincit - "(Hard) work conquers all."

Quote from: Saiseiki on April 19, 2022, 12:06:28 PM
Quote from: Patuk on April 18, 2022, 03:41:17 PM

+1

I've actually recently run into this IC, where it may have been helpful.  The scene turned out fine without it, but I'm still new enough to remember being completely overwhelmed when starting out.  Having one less factor in "mental stack" could be helpful.

(I'm still mulling over ways to address some of what the half-dozen friends I've tried to get on Arm. have told me, in terms of barriers to entry.  So frustrating, 'cause I know they'd love this darn place and its stories if they could get to them!)

I'm all for this Joining a clan should give you new points of interest to target for Directions. This should include the Noble Estate and Barracks for that Noble House. There's no reason not to.