Developer Request: Quality of Life improvements to the game

Started by nessalin, January 19, 2021, 01:34:05 PM

"whisper me" should not break hide. (A chance of detection would be fine!) Don't punish muttering-to-self, which is more involving of others than "think" is.

"whisper person" should not break hide, but should show your sdesc to the person you're whispering to. Maybe a chance of being overheard at master listen.
<Maso> I thought you were like...a real sweet lady.

Quote from: sucre on February 01, 2022, 11:49:31 PM
Quote from: ShaiHulud on January 28, 2022, 06:47:21 AM
I've said before I think, but make "on eyes "and "over eyes" different locations. So I don't have to remove my eye makeup to wear sunslits. Please.

Quote from: Brytta Léofa on January 30, 2022, 09:34:27 PM
"whisper me" should not break hide. (A chance of detection would be fine!) Don't punish muttering-to-self, which is more involving of others than "think" is.

"whisper person" should not break hide, but should show your sdesc to the person you're whispering to. Maybe a chance of being overheard at master listen.

Dittoing both of these.

Didn't we used to be able to do this? I swear I have distinct memories of talking to people while I was hidden, and they couldn't see me. But those are some pretty old memories.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

I think it would be helpful if when you fired an arrow at someone who had that flag set on them that prevents ranged attacks from having success, a message should state that you missed because there is no way you can hit the target.  Or possibly you should get the message before you waste the arrow.  I'm not  put out if I lose an arrow trying to hit the unhittable, but emptying a quiver on some mobile only to find out that it wasn't hittable makes me nonplussed.

In general, if something is failing because it's administratively barred, I would like that to be more obvious.

Quote from: conte on February 03, 2022, 02:54:00 PM
I think it would be helpful if when you fired an arrow at someone who had that flag set on them that prevents ranged attacks from having success, a message should state that you missed because there is no way you can hit the target. Or possibly you should get the message before you waste the arrow.

You don't think you could hit a skeezy lookout gith; they have too much cover.

Yeah, I didn't know there were un-shootable NPCs until someone finally OOCed me last year. Is there a really solid reason that feature exists today? (Right, it prevents guards from being slaughtered with arrows. But why is that good? Could we have a scripted or staff-triggered response instead?)

Having a script that obviously echoes your ranged attack raises an alarm that sends the sentries into cover could be an elegant solution... Or has the archers at the gate start shooting back.

Quote from: Fredd on February 02, 2022, 02:48:13 AM
Quote from: sucre on February 01, 2022, 11:49:31 PM
Quote from: ShaiHulud on January 28, 2022, 06:47:21 AM
I've said before I think, but make "on eyes "and "over eyes" different locations. So I don't have to remove my eye makeup to wear sunslits. Please.

Quote from: Brytta Léofa on January 30, 2022, 09:34:27 PM

Dittoing both of these.

Didn't we used to be able to do this? I swear I have distinct memories of talking to people while I was hidden, and they couldn't see me. But those are some pretty old memories.

Maybe to someone who has really bad scan? I know a few Kadian dwarves did this to me back in the day to tease me in the compound, but afaik, now it always breaks.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
There is no room for doubt in power. -TJA, 5/20/22

when you have a mount hitched and you enter a room that is tagged as not allowing mounts to enter (such as up certain cliffs) please give an echo about how the mount cannot follow you because you are enter a room tagged as nomount. It is rather OOC but also a lot of the nomount rooms don't make much sense from an IC perspective so there is nearly zero risk of immersion breaking because it will already have been broken. The amount of times where my mount doesn't follow me into a climb room when I'm partway up a cliff and I need to mount my mount and try to take an up/down exit to know for certain that it's tagged as nomount and risk fucking failing

IMHO it would also be cool if there were expanded renter controls for an apartment.  Like if every lease could have an 'alpha' tennant, who could add or kick people off of the lease.  And if more than two people could rent the same room. 

We're supposed to be poor?  Existing controls are somewhat "all or nothing".

Steal and Plant should work for open items in the room ie: An open chest, things laying on a table, a shelf.

This is one that I always found odd. I can steal from within your pack, but I can't steal from off a table?

I can plant an item in the middle of the room quietly, but I can't plant evidence on someone's desk?

It's not going to open up a whole world of RP, sure. But it will make some things possible, and expand other types of scenes I can think of.

The limiter of 'open' is there simply because I find it a little hard to believe you can open a chest and steal out of it without drawing any sort of attention.  But I once saw a half giant with max hide. So not everything needs to make sense :)
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Unlatch, latch, and palm are the commands you're looking for.

Quote from: Delirium on February 16, 2022, 02:50:22 PM
Unlatch, latch, and palm are the commands you're looking for.

Ah shit, i forgot palm was the command for tables. I knew about latch and unlatch. That's also how you open door without breaking hide.

Completely spaced on Palm though, TY!

You know that noise thats made when you unlock a door, i think the listen skill should be able to pick that up if it does not already if your in the same room as the door or even depending on skill level. Whos with me?
Someone punches a dead mantis in it's dead face.

Quote from: Rogerthat on February 17, 2022, 10:54:42 PM
You know that noise thats made when you unlock a door, i think the listen skill should be able to pick that up if it does not already if your in the same room as the door or even depending on skill level. Whos with me?

Ooo, that'd be nice. Especially, to me at least, if it didn't tell you which door. Just you're listening and you just get a message in your mudclient going 'you hear a soft click'

Also if you search for something. And you notice something is buried I do believe you should be able to find it 10x easier.
Someone punches a dead mantis in it's dead face.

Quote from: Fredd on February 16, 2022, 02:37:49 PM
Steal and Plant should work for open items in the room ie: An open chest, things laying on a table, a shelf.
You can use the steal command targeting an item in the room to attempt to put it into your inventory without being noticed, and I swear it also works on containers.

Quote from: Rogerthat on February 17, 2022, 11:04:55 PM
Quote from: Jihelu on February 17, 2022, 11:00:38 PM
Quote from: Rogerthat on February 17, 2022, 10:54:42 PM

Ooo, that'd be nice. Especially, to me at least, if it didn't tell you which door. Just you're listening and you just get a message in your mudclient going 'you hear a soft click'

Absolutely thats what im talking about right there.

I 100% support this.

Quote from: Lotion on February 18, 2022, 01:25:17 PM
Quote from: Fredd on February 16, 2022, 02:37:49 PM
You can use the steal command targeting an item in the room to attempt to put it into your inventory without being noticed, and I swear it also works on containers.

I know about room stealing. I was more thinking about on tables. The docs read a lot like how it used to be used, to move things around your own person silently (like palming out spice to plant on an elf) I had completely forgot that it's also used for containers in the room (like tables) The help file could use a touch more clarity I guess.

The breakdown between steal and sleight of hand is a bit surprising IMO. I think it should be as follows:

steal skill = touching another person:
- steal/plant <stuff> <person> (as currently)
- latch/unlatch <person>'s <container> (instead of using the sleight of hand skill)

sleight of hand skill = touching only objects or yourself (lol):
- palm/slip <object> <container>
- steal/plant <stuff> room, and the command should be "palm/slip <stuff> room" rather than "steal" or "plant"
- latch/unlatch <container/direction>

please allow someone to turn off the default soul emotes. every time I've used yawn was by accident and one time I yawned by accident and thought it was a mindworm and roleplayed accordingly because I didn't realize that mistyping 'y
' when I mean 'u' would  cause me to do some random canned emote

Quote from: Brytta Léofa on February 18, 2022, 07:35:17 PM
The breakdown between steal and sleight of hand is a bit surprising IMO. I think it should be as follows:

- latch/unlatch <person>'s <container> (instead of using the sleight of hand skill)

- steal/plant <stuff> room, and the command should be "palm/slip <stuff> room" rather than "steal" or "plant"

There is some weird overlap between steal and sleight of hand.

You CAN palm items that are on the floor in a room, but you CAN'T (at least no way I have found) slip items onto the floor in a room. It strikes me that some of this overlap is due to the prior class system and how the stealth skills were spread.

I feel like there was another point of overlap I can no longer remember but my brain is a giant sieve.

Quote from: Mercy on February 19, 2022, 05:04:22 PM
Quote from: Brytta Léofa on February 18, 2022, 07:35:17 PM

There is some weird overlap between steal and sleight of hand.

You CAN palm items that are on the floor in a room, but you CAN'T (at least no way I have found) slip items onto the floor in a room. It strikes me that some of this overlap is due to the prior class system and how the stealth skills were spread.

I feel like there was another point of overlap I can no longer remember but my brain is a giant sieve.

This is because you used to not be able to use sleight of hand for much more then getting something from your pack. Staff have since expanded upon the skill to make it more useful. So the help file could use a bit of clarity, and it's interactions probably cleaned up a touch too.

Assessing a bow could be much clearer about how weak/strong its pull is relative to your strength.  It would make bows easier to sell PC to PC as I've found those to be frustrating transactions.

It would be nice if a piece of gear that has more than one wear location automatically gets worn on another if the first is already occupied by something else. Right now it just says, 'you already wear something on that location'
'One fire drives out one fire,
One nail, one nail.
Rights by rights falter,
Strengths by strengths do fail.'

-Tullus Aufidius, Coriolanus by William Shakespeare

Have the Great Merchant Houses sell bundles of their full sets.

Just a matter of breaking open the package and the buyer will have all 239247934 pieces that come with it.

Have the 'analyze' and the 'value' output show for items in shops so that we can see if we think we might be able to craft them, and how much they weigh, etc. while in the inventory of the shopkeep.

Justification: I generally assume when people are shopping they aren't simply looking at a list, but walking into the shop and seeing/picking up/evaluating the actual objects for sale. Shops aren't Amazon; they're more like

Quote from: SpyGuy on February 22, 2022, 12:59:41 AM
Assessing a bow could be much clearer about how weak/strong its pull is relative to your strength.  It would make bows easier to sell PC to PC as I've found those to be frustrating transactions.

You estimate its draw weight to be about 35 stones.