Developer Request: Quality of Life improvements to the game

Started by nessalin, January 19, 2021, 01:34:05 PM

Gates should close at the end of dusk not the beginning.  Give people a little extra time to get into the city for RP.

Quote from: Inks on August 26, 2021, 11:07:20 AM
Having the gates open will actually mean less tavern rp, not more, if you prefer a serious answer instead of a joke which missed the mark.

Due to less people being in the tavern at the same time.

I'd disagree with that.  Luir's doesn't close its gates and when it's populated I've generally found there to be people in the tavern at nights.  The tavern RP was just an example anyways, the quality of life part for more is more that I don't see how locking down the cities for 1/3rd of the day helps anything.  Closing the gates while it's dark makes sense IC but why an hour before it gets dark?

i'd rather type `wear thing throat` rather than `wear thing about throat` and i can never remember if it's `wear thing hair` or `wear thing in hair` and swear that it changes sometimes

Quote from: Lotion on August 31, 2021, 06:06:10 PM
i'd rather type `wear thing throat` rather than `wear thing about throat` and i can never remember if it's `wear thing hair` or `wear thing in hair` and swear that it changes sometimes

Same, but waist/about waist.

Combat commands with a post-delay should not incur a delay if they're unable to fire. Rescue is a big one.
Though this world is made of fearsome beasts that bark and bite
We were born to put these creatures through one hell of a fight

Can we have just left and right hand in equipment slots and have "primary" either determined at character creation, by the code or choice. Still have wield and hold work the same for primary and secondary but just have the emote not say wield and hold.
21sters Unite!

It'd be nice if the poison command didn't require you to be standing. I'm unsure what that is there to prevent, but I've always thought applying poison to something is far more a 'sitting' activity than something you'd have to be standing to do.

Quote from: Patuk on September 08, 2021, 03:57:27 PM
What?
He's agreeing with you, but being a smartass about it, instead of just reposting your comment. :)
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Would it be possible to set up mercy and nosave to be directly set instead of just toggleable?

I feel like being toggles makes it way easier to mess something up and lead to big issues based on an OOC problem.

My preferred option would be something like below.

nosave <option> <on | off>

mercy <option> < on | off>
21sters Unite!

I live here now.

Having items in inventory or wielded/held/etwo prioritized over other worn slots. I run into it a lot, or see a good amount of other people remove gear or weapon on belt when trying to place something from inventory or hands into a container.
21sters Unite!

Add a moniker "This character looks talkative" to the ldesc of every NPC that has discuss topics on them.

Having your max HP restored via recovering from poison should also restore your current HP by that same amount.

By the same token, effects that increase your max HP/stun/stamina should do the same. Makes little sense why you would wait to catch your breath immediately after suping up with magick/spice

Change the taste command for brewing items to something else.
21sters Unite!

Can we get a mercy toggle that is mercy on UNLESS they flee?

As in, Your intent is to not kill, but you do not want them to get away either. And would rather them morted, or worse then to get away.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

You can do this already. Mercy kill and mercy flee are separate settings.

QuoteYou can do this already. Mercy kill and mercy flee are separate settings.

Um...NOPE.

kill:
When a player has 'mercy kill' turned on, they will try and hold back
blows that might kill their opponent and will refrain from attacking
unconscious opponents altogether.

flee:
If you toggle 'mercy flee' on, you will not try and attack someone who
is fleeing from you.

My request is:
QuoteCan we get a mercy toggle that is mercy on UNLESS they flee?

I even explained it just so I would not get people saying it can already be done.

Here:
QuoteAs in, Your intent is to not kill, but you do not want them to get away either. And would rather them morted, or worse then to get away.

But let me try again, I want a mercy toggle that if the one you are fighting does NOT attempt to flee you will try and NOT kill them.

But if they do flee you still WILL take that parting shot...EVEN if it morts or kills them.

Mercy Flee is only to not try and attack on a flee, that is it, it does not turn mercy on otherwise. The EXACT opposite of what I want.

UNLESS, Mercy kill does that already...If so the help files need to be updated to say so. But so far, I am not seeing it in practice.

So, I want one that will take the swing(s) on a flee, EVEN if it means killing outright.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

The ability to add personal keywords to items and the ability to add a "history" note to an item that can only be seen by staff and perhaps through an ability available only to specific mages/psionicists. Most players would be able to see notes they left on their titled item but not notes left by other people. The history entry could be severely limited in character length so that it doesn't get excessive. I'm imagining something like this:

title sword Sting
>You have named a humming glowing obsidian sword Sting.

addnote Sting Belonged to the hobbit Bilbo.
>You have added a note to a humming glowing obsidian sword.

viewnotes Sting
>[Tue Sep  7 11:56:10 2021] [Bilbo] Belonged to the hobbit Bilbo.

Because god DAMN have some of my PCs had some epic things with epic history.

Not even weapons... the most innocuous looking item could have a whole heap of historical meaning.

Staff could also use these notes to mark quest related items so their purpose and story don't get Lost In The Void.

Custom embroidery on to any item made from cloth material types in a similar vein to the drawing skill. Adds the embroidered item state to the item, which already exists.

Be able to do certain stuff whilst sat down, e.g.

- poison something (it makes little sense to me that you can't apply poison to an object while sat down.. personally I would have a harder time with delicate work like this whilst stood up)

- plant/steal - not saying it would be easy, obviously you wouldn't be hidden, but you should be able to attempt slipping your hand into someone's pocket whilst you're sat next to them at the bar.

- there's probably other weird stuff you can't do while sat down..
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Quote from: Maso on September 30, 2021, 10:33:14 AM
Be able to do certain stuff whilst sat down, e.g.

- poison something (it makes little sense to me that you can't apply poison to an object while sat down.. personally I would have a harder time with delicate work like this whilst stood up)

- plant/steal - not saying it would be easy, obviously you wouldn't be hidden, but you should be able to attempt slipping your hand into someone's pocket whilst you're sat next to them at the bar.

- there's probably other weird stuff you can't do while sat down..

Bandage
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Quote from: X-D on September 22, 2021, 05:08:33 PM[spoiler=snip]
QuoteYou can do this already. Mercy kill and mercy flee are separate settings.

Um...NOPE.

kill:
When a player has 'mercy kill' turned on, they will try and hold back
blows that might kill their opponent and will refrain from attacking
unconscious opponents altogether.

flee:
If you toggle 'mercy flee' on, you will not try and attack someone who
is fleeing from you.

My request is:
QuoteCan we get a mercy toggle that is mercy on UNLESS they flee?

I even explained it just so I would not get people saying it can already be done.

Here:
QuoteAs in, Your intent is to not kill, but you do not want them to get away either. And would rather them morted, or worse then to get away.

But let me try again, I want a mercy toggle that if the one you are fighting does NOT attempt to flee you will try and NOT kill them.

But if they do flee you still WILL take that parting shot...EVEN if it morts or kills them.

Mercy Flee is only to not try and attack on a flee, that is it, it does not turn mercy on otherwise. The EXACT opposite of what I want.

UNLESS, Mercy kill does that already...If so the help files need to be updated to say so. But so far, I am not seeing it in practice.

So, I want one that will take the swing(s) on a flee, EVEN if it means killing outright.[/spoiler]
mercy on will turn both mercies on, you will attack neither fleeing or unconscious enemies
mercy off will turn both mercies off, you will attack both fleeing and unconscious enemies
mercy kill will toggle mercy kill. If it was on it will turn off, if it was off it will turn on.
mercy flee will toggle mercy flee. If it was on it will turn off, if it was off it will turn on.

What you want is the result of either
mercy off + mercy kill OR mercy on + mercy flee
You would probably get an even better result than you'd expect. Let's say the enemy is one hit from critical and you are dual wielding. What I would expect to happen (never seen this happen, but the game acts in predictable ways most of the time.) is your first hit would send them into critical as they flee and then you would show mercy and not give the finishing blow. Your enemy would be in the next room over on the verge of death and then you can do whatever you were gonna do.

An imagine personal psy command akin to thinkfeelremember

Players quitting out or logging in to a room should leave tracks visible to those with the hunt command.

Sorta wish peek would show some tattoos.
Lizzie: