Developer Request: Quality of Life improvements to the game

Started by nessalin, January 19, 2021, 01:34:05 PM

It would be really cool if when we get a list of possible crafts, it would mention not only which tool is required to make it, but whether or not that tool is currently within reach inside the room that we are in.

Quote from: Hauwke on February 04, 2021, 03:53:44 AM
I think assessing covers that last bit.
Some do, but some don't, and I can't tell if that's because you don't the skill, or because there's no blurb attached to it. Because I have never accessed many tools, it could be because I don't have the relevant skill, too. Whatever the case, I think it would good to see what a tool did, even if you do not the skill. Adding that to the assess you get when viewing it in a store would be good too.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on February 04, 2021, 09:37:28 AM
Some do, but some don't, and I can't tell if that's because you don't the skill, or because there's no blurb attached to it. Because I have never accessed many tools, it could be because I don't have the relevant skill, too. Whatever the case, I think it would good to see what a tool did, even if you do not the skill. Adding that to the assess you get when viewing it in a store would be good too.

You assess a stone rasp...
...it is primarily made of stone.
...looks useful for smoothing or polishing.
...appears to be of decent quality.

If it doesn't say "looks useful for", then as a tool it doesn't count as a "smoothing or polishing" WHEN REQUIRED FOR THE RECIPE.

You assess a pair of etched bone scissors...
...it is primarily made of bone.
...might be used for fabricworking.
...appears to be of above average quality.

If it says "might be used for", it will give a bonus to the named skill, but is not a tool when the recipe requires one.

If it doesn't have these lines, its a RP-tool. I agree, it could be re-worked a little to be more obvious.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Looking at "help tools" it is informative...but also not.

If Riev or someone wants to try to redo it to something they think will help players understand the various uses tools can be put to, I'll work with them to update the helpfile.

*Sorry, can't hope with making the code clearer personally, as I don't code, but I can change the helpfiles to be more clear  at least!

Quote from: Riev on February 04, 2021, 10:11:58 AM

If it doesn't say "looks useful for", then as a tool it doesn't count as a "smoothing or polishing" WHEN REQUIRED FOR THE RECIPE.

If it says "might be used for", it will give a bonus to the named skill, but is not a tool when the recipe requires one.

If it doesn't have these lines, its a RP-tool. I agree, it could be re-worked a little to be more obvious.

Is this also the case regarding tools for weirder skills I'm told have tools for them? Like poisoning, bandagemaking, direction sense, scanning? I've never seen any explicit text stating a tool would be helpful for any of these. Or would you only see it for crafting skills and all other skills are hidden in the description?
He is an individual cool cat. A cat who has taken more than nine lives.

Quote from: gotdamnmiracle on February 04, 2021, 02:12:00 PM
Quote from: Riev on February 04, 2021, 10:11:58 AM

Is this also the case regarding tools for weirder skills I'm told have tools for them? Like poisoning, bandagemaking, direction sense, scanning? I've never seen any explicit text stating a tool would be helpful for any of these. Or would you only see it for crafting skills and all other skills are hidden in the description?

For direction_sense you get the message when you wear the item.
I.e.

wear sunslits
You fit your sunslits over your eyes.
Covering your eyes with  sunslits protects them from harsh weather.

Assessing is somewhat unclear that its coded to that skill:
...will protect your vision when worn over your eyes.

Ah! Yes, I forgot about that. That's pretty recent, I recall.

Any word on the others? Poisoning is one I recall staff mentioning having tools, but I've never found one.

Quote from: gotdamnmiracle on February 04, 2021, 02:38:05 PM
Ah! Yes, I forgot about that. That's pretty recent, I recall.

Any word on the others? Poisoning is one I recall staff mentioning having tools, but I've never found one.

Still investigating this one in game, but there seems to be items that would imply being good for these things. Just haven't been able to buy them and try.

Quote from: Brokkr on February 04, 2021, 11:05:47 AM

*Sorry, can't hope with making the code clearer personally, as I don't code, but I can change the helpfiles to be more clear  at least!

This really hurt my eyes to read.  :'(
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

I've idea'd this in game, but I'll post it here too so maybe someone can expand on it.

I think it would be really helpful if, when 'Viewing' an item in a shop, said item's price is repeated.
"Never do today what you can put off till tomorrow."

-Aaron Burr

Quote from: slipshod on February 04, 2021, 09:18:01 PM
I've idea'd this in game, but I'll post it here too so maybe someone can expand on it.

I think it would be really helpful if, when 'Viewing' an item in a shop, said item's price is repeated.

This also that when you offer and item, it plays back what time is being offered in case of mistarget, E. G. "You offer a large sack of flour"

Also, I think you should be able to see if you can craft something from something in a shop via view. You're able to view it, often the shop descriptions lend themselves to you being able to get close, touch, pick up, items... You'd know if you could make something from it. Even if it just said "You think you could make something from that"

I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Add to that, when you view an item you can craft, "You think you could make this". You would have to buy it to figure out what all you might need to do so, but you know that there is a new recipe there behind the pay wall.

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on February 05, 2021, 10:05:44 AM
Add to that, when you view an item you can craft, "You think you could make this". You would have to buy it to figure out what all you might need to do so, but you know that there is a new recipe there behind the pay wall.

No!

Shops describe items as being scattered around on tables and racks. Its not like they are in cages. You'd be picking them up, possibly touching them, I'd much rather you be able to just analyze shop inventories.

If we cant get shop-analyze, then yes, some "crafteable" hint, would be a good conciliation. But fight for shop analyze!

I disagree. Not all shops are described equally, and I imagine some of the more expensive and we'll guarded shops might not take kindly to you doing that. Realistically, you might have to deconstruct an item to see how it's made, so we've already got a lot of slack around analyze.

Not that anyone ever actually roleplays this out (well, I don't, at least!) but this would be a good time to point out that the analyze helpfile says:

QuoteThis should be role-played as a timely undertaking, as much studying of the object is needed as well as a knowledge of the skill employed in crafting it.

So presumably the idea is that you don't have the time to do that if you don't actually own the object, picking it up and giving it a once-over isn't enough.

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on February 05, 2021, 10:05:44 AM

Quote from: Maso on February 05, 2021, 05:53:08 PM
Not all shops are described equally, and I imagine some of the more expensive and we'll guarded shops might not take kindly to you doing that. Realistically, you might have to deconstruct an item to see how it's made, so we've already got a lot of slack around analyze.

And that's why I said I'd like to see just a blurb about "You might be able to craft this." But more than just the concept that you can't deconstruct things in the shop, I think you should have to OOCly go on and give up some of that coin to cop that new recipe. Anything that is a coin sink makes me happy, as a coded effort to keep me poor.

To counter what I said before....RE. analyze...If an item is super simple to make (e.g. one ingredient and...low difficulty) maybe you could analyze it in store? So there's a mix of "You think you could make something like this" and "You think you could make this out of X" depending. Either way, some suggestion would definitely be good.

No. You're all clinging onto helpfile nonsense. The helpfile is wrong.

No one looks at a dried yellow flower and spends the better part of a the day roleplaying that this was probably from a NOT dried yellow flower.

Most of the helpfiles are wrong. Deciding that a bracer, made of leather, could probably be made from leather is not a phenomenal experience.
Analyze used to have skill levels, that would probably be in line with what you all are wanting, or hoping for in terms of "intentional pay walls".

Give analyze skill equivalent discoveries. You might be a master chef, you can't backwards engineer a master dish without analyze. Solved.

Quote from: Fernandezj on February 06, 2021, 03:00:56 AM
No. You're all clinging onto helpfile nonsense. The helpfile is wrong.

No one looks at a dried yellow flower and spends the better part of a the day roleplaying that this was probably from a NOT dried yellow flower.

Most of the helpfiles are wrong. Deciding that a bracer, made of leather, could probably be made from leather is not a phenomenal experience.
Analyze used to have skill levels, that would probably be in line with what you all are wanting, or hoping for in terms of "intentional pay walls".

Give analyze skill equivalent discoveries. You might be a master chef, you can't backwards engineer a master dish without analyze. Solved.

I just wish analyze returned an echo that something lacks a recipe instead of just bumping. It makes me feel pretty confused and rarely use it.

Explain your source on this.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on February 06, 2021, 08:18:19 PM

Explain your source on this.

I mean it "has" skill levels, like its just always locked at apprentice level.
If it actually went up, or down, could have items that require a better analysis, more thorough, to figure out.
A complexity level if you will.

> crawl n

For those times when for whatever reason you can't, or don't want to, walk. Can be done from a sitting position. Would be verrrrry slow. Like, 'you have time to emote' slow.

Edited to add:

The obvious application here is inebriation, but how about...If somewhere in the mortally wounded range (say between 0 and -4) there's a small chance of being mortally wounded but also conscious and able to 'crawl' (drag yourself). I think that would be pretty damn cool. Obviously, if you move there should be a chance that whatever mortally wounded you might finish you off...but maybe make it a % chance that they will spot you, so you have a chance to drag yourself out of there...and probably still die...but you had a glimmer of hope.

A way to tell at least what realm a tablet is in (or other form of cure) without the brew skill. Maybe just a NPC you pay a small fee to.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Let's have the old analyze messages back. From the helpfile:

Analyze
(Crafting)

This command allows a person to examine an object and attempt to decipher what materials went into its creation. It is useful in taking a finished product and breaking down its components, so one could make another like it. This should be role-played as a timely undertaking, as much studying of the object is needed as well as a knowledge of the skill employed in crafting it.

Analyze will yield one of the five following results:

An uncraftable item (You get no echo at all)

An item you don't have the coded skill to make. (You cannot tell how that is made)

An item you have the skill to craft. (A list of the products you need to craft it)

Items you can make, but your skill is not yet high enough. (You're unsure how that's made)

Items you can't make, because they are clan specific. (You do not recognize its craftsmanship)

Right now, you only ever get one message, You cannot tell how that is made. This was changed maybe a couple of years ago as part of an effort to streamline the output of the game (?), but helpful information got lost, and the helpfile doesn't reflect what is happening in game anymore. It frequently comes up in #help on discord because it confuses new crafters. If an item isn't craftable because of an OOC problem (there is no recipe), players should know that instead of going on some futile search for the right tools or attempt to increase their crafting skill.
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

A little more than QOL, but:

Threaten with a crossbow: if you threaten someone while wielding a crossbow (ready to shoot, nothing in secondary hand), combat initiation should give you a zero-delay shot.

> threaten amos
You steady yourself and take aim...
You begin threatening the tall, muscular man with a scary-ass crossbow.

Now there's a reason to choose crossbows!
<Maso> I thought you were like...a real sweet lady.