Idea - random minor psionic skill perk after playtime

Started by mansa, December 10, 2020, 10:42:45 AM

Wouldn't it be cool, that after playing your mundane non-karma class and race, you suddenly branch a non-combat psionic skill?

Let's say, after playing for 30 days in real life, there was a medium-low chance that your character would be given an additional tier1 psionic skill?

That way, you won't know immediately what you randomly rolled up with, and the skills itself would be quite minor in that it wouldn't be something that you could be hunted down for...

New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Thirty days played might be a little extreme, but I'm heartily in favor of this. Everyone having the exact same psychic abilities all the time forever is kinda dull.

Quote from: Narf on December 10, 2020, 10:46:58 AM
Thirty days played might be a little extreme, but I'm heartily in favor of this. Everyone having the exact same psychic abilities all the time forever is kinda dull.

Not days played, but just 30 days from now.
The time it takes to regen 1 karma.

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: mansa on December 10, 2020, 10:48:55 AM
Quote from: Narf on December 10, 2020, 10:46:58 AM

Not days played, but just 30 days from now.
The time it takes to regen 1 karma.

I like it for a lot of already stated reasons, +1
ARMAGEDDON SKILL PICKER THING: https://tristearmageddon.github.io/arma-guild-picker/
message me if something there needs an update.

Might encourage people to stick, if any exist that do get their karma back and immediately try to ditch their current character in favour of a 'blingy' one.
Previous of note: Kaevya the blind Tor Scorpion, Kaloraynai 'Raynai' the beetle Ruk, Korenyire of SLK, Koal 'Kick' the hooved Whiran, Kocadici/Dici/Glimmer, Koefaxine the giant Oashi 'Aide', Kosmia 'Grit' the rinthi
Current: Like I'd tell you.

Not bad. I could get behind this.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Someone will have to explain the logic of wanting to get hunted as a mindbender after a certain number of days.  Especially since this would encompass (checks notes) everyone, and so then we'd have to mob you with NPCs and then we would get a lot of sadness in the request tool.

Quote from: Brokkr on December 10, 2020, 07:36:18 PM
Someone will have to explain the logic of wanting to get hunted as a mindbender after a certain number of days.  Especially since this would encompass (checks notes) everyone, and so then we'd have to mob you with NPCs and then we would get a lot of sadness in the request tool.

You don't have to use all the skills in your skill list.

I'd implement a few new skills.  Some could even be passive like a boost to language learning or a minor boost to offense/defense from 'precognition' or the like.  That way if you pop a 'dangerous' skill like (I actually have no clue) then you can more easily hide it.   Prevents sniffing.

I agree that time since creation is better than days played.  I'd like to see it be a little randomized.  10-40 RL days since character creation?

Well, as stated in the first post, it'd be things people wouldn't get hunted for.

I have no idea what kind of things that would encompass, but it would be neat to have a few more psionic abilities for regular guys to use.

Could also make it human only, since they are lorewise the biggest psionicists.

Currently everyone can use psionics without being hunted as long as it is psionic talents from a small list of minor talents. This proposal would expand that list of minor talents.

Narf said it better than I did. Just tweak a few things such that we are allowed to use a psionic ability to look through someone elses eyes for example. I don't actually want everyone to have that ability, it is super unbalanced if everyone got it. But thats the idea.

Low level psionic skills on all humans to further the idea that basic psionics is prevalent in the world.

I like this idea, within the confines of the varying mostly non-crim skills, buuuut ....

I like this idea better.

A mix of the two? Mmm, maybe so.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

The ONLY additional Psionic perk I'd be ok with, after achieving mastery in EXPEL, would be to try and identify who was in contact with your PC - for those times when ppl just touch your mind and leave it. With a % chance of success based on your skill level of course.

But this would be a perk for everyone. Not like the OP's suggestion of having one of random Psionic skills added to PCs.
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

Things that came to mind:
Minor abilities: Small boosts to barrier or expel. Maybe boost to contact to break barriers. Perhaps bonuses to other skills that might make sense based on really low level mind reading. Like someone mentioned offense or defense.

I can't think of much beyond that as I have no clue what even exists in terms of psionic ability. Maybe a small chance of hearing thinks would be cool. Although rare. I'd poop if this happened.
21sters Unite!

expel already branches a fourth psionic skill. It's just nobody knows this, since no one ever maxes out expel.

Quote from: Dar on December 26, 2020, 03:39:53 AM
expel already branches a fourth psionic skill. It's just nobody knows this, since no one ever maxes out expel.

If true, definitely something to FOIC!
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

Quote from: Veselka on December 26, 2020, 11:53:01 AM
Quote from: Dar on December 26, 2020, 03:39:53 AM

If true, definitely something to FOIC!

It isn't, to spare some folks trying to spam the skill.
Nessalin: At night, I stand there and watch you sleep.  With a hammer in one hand and a candy cane in the other.  Judging.

As a guy who years ago apped and was approved a character with minor mindbender abilities who was killed quick as shit due to it.

I'd be for it, but only if it wasn't a fail once on your psionic thing and he hunted down and murdered instantly type thing.

I'd love to play a psionicist but feel like it would be a throw away character by simply not understanding the mechanics of how the various abilities work and the way folks murder them on discovery.

But yes it would be cool if we had more than contact barrier expel to play with.
"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"