Author Topic: Staff Perspective on Magickers  (Read 532 times)

Decameron

Staff Perspective on Magickers
« on: December 09, 2020, 03:54:52 PM »
Hey guys,

It may be my general perspective on the matter, but it seems that there has been an upswing in the amount of magickers currently IC.

As such, I have noticed (both within the past and certainly the present) that there is a habit  to make excuses, in order to make a PC an exception to the documented mentality surrounding magicks. In certain cases I can relate to this as a player, because you enjoy RPing with someone. It's the, 'yes, I know they are a half-breed, rinther magicker but .. they were super nice to me, so I can trust them." approach. Admittedly, in the past my perspective has been, "Well, fuck it - you knew what you were doing when you picked the options." However, with the uptick, I am starting to wonder if that shouldn't always be the case.

So, thought it might be prudent to ask:

a) Is there any general consensus on what a commoners view towards magicks should be?
b) When is it OK to be a magicker's friend?
c) Is it ever OK to be friends / ally with a sorcerer / mind-bender?
d) How should people react to magickers in general?
e) Are there any consequences to just disregarding the above?

Thanks in advance!

Shabago

• Administrator
Re: Staff Perspective on Magickers
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2020, 06:11:36 PM »
a) Is there any general consensus on what a commoners view towards magicks should be?

Yes. And the docs reflect that. Severe mistrust, disgust, hatred, assumption of curses that rot off parts of your body if you're around them, etc, etc.

b) When is it OK to be a magicker's friend?

As a commoner? Never. Begrudging respect or a sense of being in-debt to them for killing some 'heathen' on the field for you as a Krathi, or a viv keeping you from bleeding to death. There better be a damn good reason and RP backing why you tolerate their presence. Tolerate being the keyword. Not friendship. You can respect the Krathi and worry you'll be the next marshmellow. You can feel indebted to the Viv and wonder if they actually laid a curse while healing you, etc.

c) Is it ever OK to be friends / ally with a sorcerer / mind-bender?

Absolutely, 100%, not. A Sorc is the literal embodiment of anti-life. No, preserver is no better then defiler. They are both insane monsters. A bender is hysterical to think of, since they will literally melt your brain and turn you into their puppet. - Is it feasible that in some way, some fashion that one of these two could /maybe/ convince a PC they're not so bad, or have a friendship with them? I'll say yes, it's possible, if SEVERE trust has been built up to explain not instantly wanting to run for your life or kill them. This grey-area exception, is just that - an exception. Doing so on one PC over five to ten years - Alright. Each PC? Yearly? Come on. No.

d) How should people react to magickers in general?

Same as one. Fear, distrust, etc.

e) Are there any consequences to just disregarding the above?

Should it be a trend, or lacking any real RP/realistic reasoning for the PC - then yes. If players purposefully go out of their way to ignore the docs, they clearly are showing they should not be in trusted roles that count on docs being followed. Things can (and have) ranged from world response where the "Cuddle buddy" is shunned from the game world - Direct threats the PC from those of involved or interested parties (House/Clan/Tribe), to a potential karma dock if blatant/repeated without any cause aside from "Spell me up bro."
Nessalin: At night, I stand there and watch you sleep.  With a hammer in one hand and a candy cane in the other.  Judging.