Author Topic: Yet Another Zalanthan Time Converter  (Read 769 times)

Yet Another Zalanthan Time Converter
« on: November 04, 2020, 11:47:00 PM »
https://armtimehelper.herokuapp.com

There are at least a couple of nice websites for this kind of thing already, but I thought I'd put mine up as well. It's got some features I hope people will find helpful for roleplaying around Zalanthan times beyond the usual shorthand of 1 RL day = 1 'week', like telling you exactly how much IC time a future or past date is away from the current time, allowing you to edit a Zalanthan date directly to see the corresponding OOC time, or adding/subtracting increments of IC time from a specified date.

It starts out pretty minimalistic but you can make it display server time, change the way it displays the RL date and time, and a few other things by clicking on the Settings option. I've got more plans for it, but I think it's got enough functionality to be useful at this point.

mansa

Re: Yet Another Zalanthan Time Converter
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2020, 11:57:37 PM »
I suggest to make the default "IC Date Mode" BOTH - don't even let the users have a choice in the matter.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2020, 12:09:55 AM »
I suggest to make the default "IC Date Mode" BOTH - don't even let the users have a choice in the matter.

Why do you suggest that? I wanted it to start out being pretty minimalist and not clutter the page with things someone might not want at the moment, though I considered having it default with both just to show that the feature existed. The settings are kept in local storage on your browser, so unless you clear your cache/local storage it'll be how you left it when you come back to the page.

mansa

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2020, 12:22:52 AM »
It's really to show that the feature exists to the users, because I didn't know it did until I saw screenshots of the cool feature.

I think the real estate on the screen has room for both, without looking like clutter, imo
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2020, 01:05:51 AM »
It's really to show that the feature exists to the users, because I didn't know it did until I saw screenshots of the cool feature.

I think the real estate on the screen has room for both, without looking like clutter, imo

Thanks for the feedback! I don't want those features to go overlooked, which is why I posted the screenshots. I'll think on how to better make sure it doesn't go unnoticed by someone just visiting the site. Perhaps by making both the default when it's not on mobile but pointing out that it can be changed in the settings on first view.

triste

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2020, 01:20:48 AM »
Great work on this! Time conversions like this are non-trivial to implement and you did great.
will do my best to maintain https://tristearmageddon.github.io/arma-guild-picker/, message me if something there needs an update.

"it was easy to be a disgrace in a vacuum"

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2020, 04:27:12 AM »
Great work on this! Time conversions like this are non-trivial to implement and you did great.

Thanks! Here's hoping the math checks out. It seems to be working correctly with my testing of it, but if I've overlooked anything I'll try and fix it quickly.

There's now a notice about the different settings that shows until the first time they're actually viewed.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 04:29:34 AM by 9001 »

lostinspace

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2020, 01:56:29 PM »
This is spectacular, and if you're willing I have a feature request.

Can you add an alarm function? Sometimes I log out with the intention of logging back in at dawn, get distracted, and then when I log in it's late afternoon and I log out to wait for dawn, repeat indefinitely.

Being able to set an alarm for the next dawn, or for 2 IC days from now so you can meet up with someone at the designated time, would be sweet.
3/21/16 Never Forget

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2020, 02:55:54 PM »
I have a feature request.

Can you add an alarm function?

Sounds doable, and quite cool. I'll see what I can come up with.

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2020, 05:06:38 AM »
Alarms have been added! They haven't been tested exhaustively, so let me know if anything seems off with them. When you first try to set an alarm it'll ask for permission to send notifications. I recommend you allow it as it isn't a terribly useful feature if you have to be looking at the site to see them go off. It'll only be able to send notifications when the page is open, though it'll save set alarms so they'll still be there if you refresh or close the page and open it again if they weren't meant to go off when it wasn't open.

lostinspace

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2020, 01:00:34 AM »
Already used it twice, great stuff. I'd even recommend a "Set alarm for next dawn" button. Reminder to hit the shops, go to training, head out hunting, etc.
3/21/16 Never Forget

The7DeadlyVenomz

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2020, 01:54:19 AM »
Maaaan, 9001. Get 'em, homie. This thing is awesome. Great job!
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Kyviantre

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2020, 08:16:42 PM »
Only had a poke at it as I haven't needed it yet, but it looks awesome!  Loving the functionality and alarms!  Have bookmarked ready for when I do need it, so I can find it again ;D

Only thing it doesn't do, that might be useful, is send email alerts for the alarms.  As a notoriously forgetful person, that is the saving grace of my calendar app, but that probably gets much more complicated, so I hesitate to suggest it - and the actual alarm function it has, is fab!
Previous of note: Kaevya the blind Tor Scorpion, Kaloraynai 'Raynai' the beetle Ruk, Korenyire of SLK, Koal 'Kick' the hooved Whiran, Kocadici/Dici/Glimmer, Koefaxine the giant Oashi 'Aide', Kosmia 'Grit' the rinthi
Current: Like I'd tell you.

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2020, 08:40:06 AM »
I'd even recommend a "Set alarm for next dawn" button.

Added!

Maaaan, 9001. Get 'em, homie. This thing is awesome. Great job!

Glad you like it :)

Only thing it doesn't do, that might be useful, is send email alerts for the alarms.  As a notoriously forgetful person, that is the saving grace of my calendar app, but that probably gets much more complicated, so I hesitate to suggest it - and the actual alarm function it has, is fab!

I can see how that'd be useful. The limiting factor in this case isn't so much the complexity but that I want to keep from sending or storing any information on the server.

I did add an option to 'Add to Google Calendar' when creating a new alarm, however. If you're signed into a Google account it will add the alarm to your calendar and you can choose to have an email alert or notification on the page that opens. Just be mindful of privacy settings, as I haven't figured out if I can set an event to private rather than default from a generated url, though the default appears to be private if you haven't explicitly made the calendar public.

Kyviantre

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2020, 05:37:19 PM »

I can see how that'd be useful. The limiting factor in this case isn't so much the complexity but that I want to keep from sending or storing any information on the server.

That was the problem I thought would be the issue with that!  No big deal, you've got enough features to be MORE than useful already ;D
Previous of note: Kaevya the blind Tor Scorpion, Kaloraynai 'Raynai' the beetle Ruk, Korenyire of SLK, Koal 'Kick' the hooved Whiran, Kocadici/Dici/Glimmer, Koefaxine the giant Oashi 'Aide', Kosmia 'Grit' the rinthi
Current: Like I'd tell you.

slipshod

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2020, 10:49:07 PM »
I was just browsing for some old reasources and see there is some barren real estate on the Armageddon Homepage, under the Community tab, in Original Submissions - Tools where this would and the other would be well placed, no? 

“Never do today what you can put off till tomorrow.”

-Aaron Burr

Maso

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2021, 05:22:44 AM »
Also the stuff someone created for Mudlet should def be under there....which I have seen on the GDB but now can't find again.
emote pees into your eyes deeply

I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Fernandezj

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2021, 10:57:52 AM »
Also the stuff someone created for Mudlet should def be under there....which I have seen on the GDB but now can't find again.

This, perhaps: https://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,53737.msg1030385.html#msg1030385

Maso

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2021, 10:59:02 AM »
Yeah that! Thanks. :D I'm not sure I could handle that level of GUI for a Mud, but I think that is an awesome tool that's been developed and should be in that tools section for people to find.
emote pees into your eyes deeply

I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game