Why no maps?

Started by Lotion, October 29, 2020, 12:21:06 PM

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on December 30, 2020, 07:44:31 AM
I'll agree about the mystery portion, to some extent, but you have to remember that IRL, nobody knew what was where when people drew dragons and stuff on their maps. Just because there's a drawing of something doesn't mean that you understand the immensity of what that drawing really means. A gith head on a map just stands for a gith. There's no real way to know, for future readers of your map, that the gith head stands for a fortress of god-king gith.

I've always thought that that blurb meant that ASCII art was not permitted for Maps, basically. Also, because cartography is pretty detailed, generally speaking, I've never assumed that a description of a few mountains and a deep hole and a winding road being drawn on a piece of paper, without words to read, could be construed as such.

I sure would like a staffer to pop on in here and lay down the lawz! Staff, do that! Lawz!

I posted a basic ass map in discord that was literally an arrow pointing to one object, then another, then another.  Very basic. Very simple. Shalooonsh said 'no thats literally a map'.

Does said drawn object guide you to X location?

If so thats a map.

Said action is cartography, congrats staff is now telling you to not do it anymore or you lose drawing.

December 30, 2020, 12:22:47 PM #26 Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 01:16:57 PM by triste
Deleted this post because a veteran player I deeply respect told me to.

This topic is just so effing annoying if you know things.
ARMAGEDDON SKILL PICKER THING: https://tristearmageddon.github.io/arma-guild-picker/
message me if something there needs an update.

Well, I guess I don't agree that basic maps shouldn't exist, but so says Staff, so alright.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870