Author Topic: This is 2020  (Read 452 times)

James de Monet

This is 2020
« on: October 06, 2020, 08:28:11 PM »
I’m starting a new thread, specifically for 2020-based venting, or stress laughing, or mask selfies, or whatever you got.

Some hard stuff has been going on with my extended family, so I texted my cousin, to see if he was okay.  He responded that he was, and wanted to check that we were, since he heard about the California wildfires coming really close to our house from other family.

And I was like, “Oh yeah, I forgot about that.” 

So much stuff has been going down that I FORGOT that the evacuation zone for one of the largest wildfires in state history had come within a mile of my house last month.

This is 2020.
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Lizzie

Re: This is 2020
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2020, 08:51:36 AM »
Because I'm considered an "essential worker" my days haven't been much different than before the pandemic started. I still go out, go to work, go grocery shopping, get take-home food from restaurants, walk around, hit the archery range (which was only shut down for 2 months since the nature of target practice requires social distancing anyway), etc. etc.

I don't forget that we all "shut down" for a long stretch of time. I just forget how difficult it must've been for those who have HAD to isolate (like people in NYC) for months on end.

You see a huge wave of new Instacart people in the store talking about making beaucoup bank delivering groceries and it hits you that all the Instacart customers are refusing to leave their homes except to get the mail and take their dogs for a walk.

My cousin had us over to dinner a couple months ago. After that she was thinking of inviting us again but realized she was terrified about the possibility of us transmitting the virus to her in her house. Meanwhile in my own neighborhood, life goes on as usual and no one's gotten sick that we know of. So it's a very bizarre thing to us. We're observing from some invisible barrier of safety. We have a tough time "connecting" on an emotional level to people who have it rough.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

triste

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2020, 09:53:48 AM »
Exactly four years ago I fought so hard to prevent this nightmarish timeline. People laughed at me for fighting but I did knowing one evil would render more harm to my country than the other.

I remember when people went to protest on the streets November 9, 2016, that it was too little too late, a parade of fools and self-flagellators who should have brought that energy to the battle rather than to the celebration of their own death.

If you have the right and the privledge to vote in your country, do it. It is more tasteful than whining about how you are disempowered and suffering when there is a sword right in your lap.

And it is NOT a crime for me to hold up my sword and rally people to fight while the battle rages on.

We have power to fix this in our hands. We have that power in our hands right now. Use it.
ARMAGEDDON SKILL PICKER THING: https://tristearmageddon.github.io/arma-guild-picker/
message me if something there needs an update.

You can choose to be strong or you can choose to be weak.

triste

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2020, 01:28:59 PM »
On the bright side, it is easy to predict the movements of a wounded animal and I have made more than $900 the last 72 hours by selling at the height of a second wind, buying after some stumbling and braying, and now selling again. #2020vision
ARMAGEDDON SKILL PICKER THING: https://tristearmageddon.github.io/arma-guild-picker/

valeria

• I have a writing page.
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2020, 03:12:52 PM »
We took our dog to the vet this morning for a tail treatment, and left with the news she has lung cancer and she's looking at weeks rather than months.  In March my buddy lost his wife to covid, over the summer a friend from law school died of covid, my aunt's in the hospital with congestive heart failure and I can't visit her, and now my dog is dying.  I can't even with this fucking year anymore.
Templars are basically if judge Dredd was a Cardassian

Veselka

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2020, 11:07:38 PM »
* Lost my mother November 16th 2019, who spent most of her life studying and promoting advocacy surrounding the HIV/AIDS pandemic, and preparing for the next pandemic. The irony was not lost on me, when news of this hit in December 2019/January 2020.

* Lost about 20k in revenue due to the shutdowns.

* Had a cyst on my back that grew to the size of a large egg and had to be surgically removed.

* Found out I'm blind and needed glasses.

* Close friend got hit by a car in a hit and run as a pedestrian, both legs broken, twelve other bones, shattered ankle, fractured spinal vertebrae, and will likely have months if not years of physical therapy ahead.

* One dog has dementia, the other one has a bum ticker. Both due to expire this year.

* Got COVID, it was fucking awful, nearly had to go to the hospital, came down with pneumonia, survived.

* 210,000 and counting Americans did not survive, and pointlessly died from a preventable deadly disease.

* Still feel as though I haven't had the time to mourn my mother's passing. Memorial that was slated for March 2020 was cancelled, slated for the day everything shutdown. It was her birthday today, and my family had an intimate memorial on the beach where we spread her ashes. It felt anticlimactic, but cathartic.

2020 can sit on a thumb and spin.
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

triste

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2020, 10:08:00 AM »
Armageddon really needs more Manchurian Candidates now that 2020 has fully solidified that such a form of corruption is not merely fictional.

I just think it would be a real hoot to see who falls for the ruse and who doesn't!