bring out yer dead - then haul them off

Started by Cuttlefish, November 08, 2003, 03:21:40 PM

The thread about the tembo and leading animals to the gates only to have them skinned gave me an idea (though probably not all that original).

Why not have a script on guards/soldiers and other appropriate NPCs that would have them call over some other NPCs to take care of dead bodies?  In the case of animals and other such, this might just be something like:

A human Tuluki soldier shouts for a janitor.
A janitor drags the corpse of a tembo away.

Okay, so it needs some improvements, like a description of a janitor rather than just saying "janitor" and possible multiple NPCs rather than just one, since bodies are heavy.  But this would be a good way to prevent having NPCs do your killing for you by leading animals into the gates, then coming back and skinning the carcass while the guards apparently look the other way.

I think this should be done with PCs, too, but possibly in a different way.  Once I saw a templar kill a PC.  He just left the body there and went about his business standing around, oblivious to the slowly rotting body at his feet.  While I don't think it would be a big deal for a templar to kill someone, I would think they would at least have someone haul off the body.  Maybe with PCs they could be taken to a "morgue" or something, so that PC templars could be aware of goings-on in the city.

You could even have the NPC dragging the corpse from where it was killed all the way to the morgue, giving more PCs a chance to spot it on the way.  Or even, if they are daring enough, take on the NPC(s) dragging it away.

Sure, it's fun to loot the corpse of some poor victim you find lying at the feet of some brainless NPC templar.  Lucky you.  But does it really make sense and is it really the best way to go about things?

Just some carrion for thought.

I've always thought it would be cool if gate guards who killed a mob would skin it, or drag away a dead NPC body.  Mostly because that's what would happen if those gate guards were run by PCs.

Actually, that's a really good idea but not in the way you presented it. Gate guards -should- drag off bodies. It'll prevent the twinkage flow of running to the gate and then having the guards kill something so you can skin and loot it. It should just be a gate guard script so when Militia member X kills thief Y he can bring proof of his deed to his templar.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

Carnage: Could you clarify who the "you" is in your post?

Cuttlefish: Can you please clarify the use of the term "janitor" in your post? Along with explaning to me why water flushes the opposite way in the southern hemosphere, telling me how Yaks reproduce, and how come my car wont start when its really cold just because I don't have enough gas in it.  After that you can do my homework and mow my lawn.

Also, why do women find George Clooney so attractive, don't they realize he is made out of cardboard?
ere it comes..

Quote from: "Faglore"Cuttlefish: Can you please clarify the use of the term "janitor" in your post? Along with explaning to me why water flushes the opposite way in the southern hemosphere, telling me how Yaks reproduce, and how come my car wont start when its really cold just because I don't have enough gas in it.  After that you can do my homework and mow my lawn.

Also, why do women find George Clooney so attractive, don't they realize he is made out of cardboard?

Janitor refers to either an NPC or a virtual effect, such as a huge gust of wind, or a street sweeper.

On toilet flushing: http://www.snopes.com/science/coriolis.htm

QuoteYaks are seasonal breeders with mating and conception constrained to the temperate season of the year. Usually, yaks are mated for the first time when they are 3 to 4 years old and are most likely to calve once every 2 years or twice in 3 years, producing 4 - 5 calves in a lifetime. Seasonal and general environmental conditions affect the reproductive rates rather markedly. The behavioral changes of estrus are not usually as clear as in other domestic cattle. The average length of the estrous cycle is approximately 20 days with the duration of estrus less than a day. Gestation length is around 258 days, shorter than in other cattle breeds. Abortion and other causes of premature termination of pregnancy are between 5 and 10%, however, the percentage rises with inter-species hybridization. Bulls usually start to mate at 3 or 4 years of age, they first have to establish a dominant position in the mating hierarchy of the herd and reach the peak of the mating ability around the age of 6 - 7 years. There is sufficient evidence to suggest that the reproductive rate of yaks can increase with improvements in a variety of management techniques geared to increase estrus frequency and conception rates.
(from: http://www.ivis.org/advances/Zhao/zhao1/chapter_frm.asp?LA=1 )

On cold weather difficulties in starting cars when there's not enough gas:
http://www.stansautomotive.com/newsletter.shtml

I don't find George Clooney all that attractive. Cute maybe, but I wouldn't do him <shrug>

Do your own homework, and hire a kid to do your lawn, ya lazy bum.

Looks like I got you to do my homework for ME, Bestatte :)  Thanks

Sorry for the confusion.  "Janitor" was just a shorthand term I was using, as Bestatte said, to mean whatever NPC(s) name or effect would be involved.

Didn't realize this was an American/British English difference.  For the American definition, check out:

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=janitor