Author Topic: When do you think it is appropriate to fade to black?  (Read 1005 times)

igno

When do you think it is appropriate to fade to black?
« on: September 26, 2020, 01:46:39 AM »
Fellow Players: When do you think it is appropriate to fade to black?
Interested in this discussion.

Fredd

Re: When do you think it is appropriate to fade to black?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 01:51:58 AM »
Interested in this discussion.

For E-rp? Torture?

THere are a few reasons to fade.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

SpyGuy

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2020, 02:16:39 AM »
Anything one party is either uncomfortable with emoting out or you don’t want to spend ages doing the scene.  You can also agree to summarize scenes in different ways like ‘okay, can we try to handle this scene in three emotes each?’

Normally this would be stuff involving sexual content (ERP) or non-coded violence but I’m sure other situations might exist.

Kyviantre

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2020, 02:17:45 AM »
When one of the people involves requests it?

I'll RP almost anything, but no judgement of you (whoever 'you' is) don't.  For punishment then you might just get it moved along quickly to death with less chance of a reprieve (less RP begging for life and explaining why you are vital...less chance it'll work to save you and all?), and for snuggle times, you might miss on nuances of character development/secrets.  But that isn't my call to make, someone's says fade, it fades!

As for when is good...either when the other person asks for consent (yes but can we FTB?), or when it starts getting too icky for you (Okay, this seems more graphic/horrifying than I want to actually RP out, can we FTB?) are probably where would be good places imho.  If you get into relationship RP, it might be good to bring up at some point that "FYI I prefer to fade/not RP snuggle scenarios" before things start getting close to that stage, so the other person doesn't initiate and make things awkward?

But any time you are uncomfortable is appropriate...but there may be IC consequences from skipping over things that might have led the activity to go Inna different direction had it being RP'd out (positive or negative).

(Plus 3 emote 'quickies' are definitely super useful sometimes!)
Previous of note: Kaevya the blind Tor Scorpion, Kaloraynai 'Raynai' the beetle Ruk, Korenyire of SLK, Koal 'Kick' the hooved Whiran, Kocadici/Dici/Glimmer, Koefaxine the giant Oashi 'Aide', Kosmia 'Grit' the rinthi
Current: Like I'd tell you.

Spider

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2020, 02:19:37 AM »
Rule for the game:

You must ask for consent from all visible players in the room before pursuing sexual or torture scenes. There is no such thing as implied consent from past consent grants - you must ask every time. If someone does not give consent, or requests that the scene "fade to black" or "FTB", you must honor that. If you engage in a graphic scene that another player did not consent to, your character will be stored and karma reduced, and your account will be banned for a month at the first occurrence, and your account will be banned permanently on the second occurrence.

In short, to skip over an upcoming torture or sexual scene.  This does not include coded combat stuff.

Fredd

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2020, 02:22:42 AM »
for erotic scenes I ask before my guy initiates a sexual act beyond kissing, including over the clothing touching of places. I'm Demi, and I know a few romantic aces who are very uncomfortable past kissing IRL, so I like to ask to make sure.

For torture, at scene start.

I usually offer a summary of what my PC would do, if nothing changes as well. So if they have reason to discuss the scene elsewhere, stories can match up. However, it's best to ask if they want a summary. As even discussing some things can trigger people with corresponding trauma.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 02:24:16 AM by Fredd »
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Harrowhark

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2020, 09:26:11 AM »
I'll take the bait.  When do you think it's appropriate to fade to black, Igno?

TheBardicCircle

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2020, 09:54:55 AM »
I think anything that you wouldn’t want to see on the streets in public, it’s fine to request fade to black.

I wish I could fade to black or dissolve anyone does anything does something that makes me uncomfortable In public rooms , but— this world is harsh and I’m willing to accommodate

Is Friday

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2020, 10:34:06 AM »
I fade whenever I feel like it for scenes that I'd rather not get into, experience, or play out. It's a tool that we can use as collaborative storytellers to achieve the experience that we want. Some people don't want to play with/around me after I fade a scene that I'm not comfortable with and that's fine. There's plenty of other players who won't fade a similar scene. They can go play with them and enjoy their game.

There's typically no "correct" response here. Player preference.
And then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

triste

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2020, 10:48:33 AM »
I fade whenever I feel like it for scenes that I'd rather not get into, experience, or play out. It's a tool that we can use as collaborative storytellers to achieve the experience that we want. Some people don't want to play with/around me after I fade a scene that I'm not comfortable with and that's fine. There's plenty of other players who won't fade a similar scene. They can go play with them and enjoy their game.

If staff enforce around FTB rules, and if rules exist (period), by the rules of logic and linguistics there is in fact a notion of "correctness" here that OP is trying to clarify.

You offer good guidelines about when you CAN ftb but I think OP is also concerned about cases when you cannot. Are FTBs ever not allowed in a given circumstance?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 10:50:23 AM by triste »
ARMAGEDDON SKILL PICKER THING: https://tristearmageddon.github.io/arma-guild-picker/
message me if something there needs an update.

You can choose to be strong or you can choose to be weak.

Fredd

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2020, 11:19:16 AM »

If staff enforce around FTB rules, and if rules exist (period), by the rules of logic and linguistics there is in fact a notion of "correctness" here that OP is trying to clarify.

You offer good guidelines about when you CAN ftb but I think OP is also concerned about cases when you cannot. Are FTBs ever not allowed in a given circumstance?

The only thing that I can see not being faded, are public executions, and HRPT's.

triste

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2020, 11:24:15 AM »

The only thing that I can see not being faded, are public executions, and HRPT's.

Following the logic of the arguments in this thread that sounds about correct; perhaps a good guideline for players and staff alike.

My opinions on FTB and Quit OOC are similar; these are escape hatches to protect players, and if players are enforced on for using these tools it feels like overstepping. It's just a game and no one should feel forced to play it or engage with certain aspects of it.
ARMAGEDDON SKILL PICKER THING: https://tristearmageddon.github.io/arma-guild-picker/
message me if something there needs an update.

You can choose to be strong or you can choose to be weak.

Dar

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2020, 11:42:23 AM »
Three sentence quickies are awesome.  I once participated in a 1 sentence ERP, where we ritually sacrificed another PC, and then did some  romping in the pool of blood as it spread across the floor. It was very PG-13, just a singular emote from each participant.

On a serious note. It's appropriate to FTB whenever anyone goddamn feels like it. At any time. Even in public execution if it is indeed your preference.  There were situations, when a person was allowed to log off during a torture scene. Then the rest of scene and results of it was hashed out in character reports between the player and the involved staff.

No one should be somehow pressured not to FTB. Somehow I wonder if there are situations when two participants go all out in some wacky graphical scene, while each one too nervous to ask for FTB, despite preferring it.  That ... should not happen.

mansa

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2020, 11:42:32 AM »

Whenever you, as a player, want.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Veselka

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2020, 11:54:02 AM »
Though it would be funny to fade during long winded social encounters.
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

Fredd

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2020, 12:40:50 PM »
Though it would be funny to fade during long winded social encounters.

Noble PC: *ten posts where they ignore any input from you*

Me: FTB please.

igno

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2020, 04:33:57 PM »
I'll take the bait.  When do you think it's appropriate to fade to black, Igno?
Basically, what mansa said. I've probably been underutilizing it and think a world where people fade to black more often is a world where arm has much higher amounts of playability.

igno

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2020, 04:39:00 PM »
Rule for the game:

You must ask for consent from all visible players in the room before pursuing sexual or torture scenes. There is no such thing as implied consent from past consent grants - you must ask every time. If someone does not give consent, or requests that the scene "fade to black" or "FTB", you must honor that. If you engage in a graphic scene that another player did not consent to, your character will be stored and karma reduced, and your account will be banned for a month at the first occurrence, and your account will be banned permanently on the second occurrence.

In short, to skip over an upcoming torture or sexual scene.  This does not include coded combat stuff.
So you think under no other scenario should a player be able to fade?
Consider this, Spider: If a PC is about to be codedly whipped and the PC requests to fade, understanding they still have a chance to receive the scars and other consequences of the whipping would you view that as appropriate use of the safety tool?

Blink

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2020, 06:01:58 PM »

Consider this, Spider: If a PC is about to be codedly whipped and the PC requests to fade, understanding they still have a chance to receive the scars and other consequences of the whipping would you view that as appropriate use of the safety tool?

I'm not Spider but in my opinion this is not an appropriate use of requesting to FTB.  It is analogous to a PC who is about to be attacked and probably killed requesting to FTB.

igno

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2020, 06:13:23 PM »

I'm not Spider but in my opinion this is not an appropriate use of requesting to FTB.  It is analogous to a PC who is about to be attacked and probably killed requesting to FTB.
If pcs are about to kill you and you request a fade to black the same thing as if a mekillot was about to kill you would happen. You die. Fade to black isn't about protecting PCs from the consequences of their actions, it's to prevent players from having to roleplay scenes that they would prefer not to.

Lizzie

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2020, 08:06:28 PM »
Rule for the game:

I feel that a coded whipping is no different from a coded anything else. If the game mechanics can change your hps, stun, stamina, ability to move, ability to do any other coded thing, then it isn't something you could just fade on. You can say you don't want to see any additional emotes beyond what the whip object is doing, and you can choose not to emote.  It's no different from the echoes with backstab, or poison effects, or any other possible gruesome situation that has built-in coded effects.

I don't know of any reason why anyone would -want- to face, or -need- to fade, other than the actual rules requiring it. Maybe a long-involved death scene, and it's time for you to log off for the day/night/work/sleep. You could just accept that your character is going to die, go ooc and say so and that you don't have time to roleplay the scene so please just kill you. I've done that at least once. Was a downer for everyone involved but I just didn't have time to stick around, and my character was placed in the situation only around 15 minutes before I had to log out for the night.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Fredd

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2020, 12:29:16 AM »
Rule for the game:

There is a command to take you into an ooc room, and add scars to your character.  A scene is not needed, and a FTB would not prevent the repercussions.