Potentially new/returning player -- what's off-peak like these days?

Started by Drone, September 23, 2020, 01:42:28 PM

I've been getting the urge to get back into roleplaying (and specifically Armageddon after a few failed starts) lately, but one of my biggest concerns in the past was how (relatively) sparse the server population was on off-peak. What's it like these days? My last attempt was about 5-6 years ago and in my time zone (Central Europe), I think 9pm usually saw around 15ish people online.

And I guess beyond that question... does anyone have any tips for archetypes or anything that seem to work particularly well for off-peak? Obviously more socially-inclined characters, actual auth'd roles, etc. are probably best done during server peak times (i.e. US timezones), but what can flourish outside of those?

I am American but often play off peak due to having multiple jobs.

I find that you can have a lot of fun in populous clans (T'zai Byn) as there can randomly be people to spar with. I find gicker/touched roles and sneaky roles are also great as it can be time consuming to practice, and often something best to practice alone. I notice a lot of off peakers enjoy playing gicks and sneaky types for this reason. Plus, it is fun to later sporadically appear among the mundanes [when you can play peak on weekends] in these sorts of roles.
ARMAGEDDON SKILL PICKER THING: https://tristearmageddon.github.io/arma-guild-picker/
message me if something there needs an update.

Awhile back I tried my hand at a sneaky type, but I was always under the impression  that solo skill practice like you mentioned was frowned upon. Is that not the case?

Quote from: Drone on September 23, 2020, 01:59:21 PM
Awhile back I tried my hand at a sneaky type, but I was always under the impression  that solo skill practice like you mentioned was frowned upon. Is that not the case?
If you roleplay adequately anything is alright, including this. There are even those who would say "code is roleplay," and no extra emotes are needed, but I find emotes and leaving evidence of your activities (example arranging objects in burglarized apartments) is not only a good spirited way to leave clues, but also in effect a way to RP with people as an off peaker. Another idea is earning a reputation as a vandal/graffiti artist, people are doing interesting stuff with that in game as well.
ARMAGEDDON SKILL PICKER THING: https://tristearmageddon.github.io/arma-guild-picker/

As a guy who works an 8-5 remote job, and plays while the job is down, I will say that the morning averages 8-15 folks.

After work hours it bounces between 20-40.

Not much RP in allanak without seeking it out, but there tends to almost always be someone kicking around Luirs, no idea about Morins.
"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"

My personal experience is that the more recent few years have been much better at finding someone to play with on off peak. I have seen more role calls given to active non-peakers and in general I am very happy with the activity level.

There is still a dead-zone in early morning (4-8am) server (Eastern US). 9pm Central European (4pm Server I believe) is generally quite active.

I really like the new classes and find all the light combats (Infiltrator, Scout, Soldier) and mixed (Miscreant, Stalker, Laborer) to be quite self sufficient without a clan/lots of contacts.

There is always some activity flow in various locations and roles, but the best thing for that is to play a mobile role and just see who is around and active when you are.

Welcome back and hope to MCB you soon!

pretty solid. Luirs and Allanak both have strong of peak crowds atm. With at least one GMH family member available off-peak for orders.

Nak has at least one off-peak noble to drive plots for you too.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

I'm in the GMT timeblock for off-peak and around Luir's (but not often in it).  I find there are some days that are good, and some days that are bad.  Between 12-6pm GMT it can be quiet, but I'm not in a population hub, but after that people start popping up more and more as we head into early peak hours.  I find Fridays are usually quieter, oddly...everyone is starting their day-drinking early Friday afternoon, clearly!

I find it is easier if you can find a group who you know has other off-peakers.  That was what I looked for when I made this character (toss up between two clans that I investigated, I picked the one where everyone on the rolecall list wasn't all on PST timezone!).  So you might try that if you are looking at pre-game clanning options.  If you want to be on Team Off-Peak Social-Playing Tribal, we have a clubhouse and a secret handshake, sign up now for your free pinbadge ;)

But I see two of the GMH around regularly enough...and manage to muddle by being a social player, but you do need to pick a class/sub-guild with the potential to develop some hobbies.  Or at least be willing to do ones without backing.  I found that helps keep you through the quieter times.
Previous of note: Kaevya the blind Tor Scorpion, Kaloraynai 'Raynai' the beetle Ruk, Korenyire of SLK, Koal 'Kick' the hooved Whiran, Kocadici/Dici/Glimmer, Koefaxine the giant Oashi 'Aide', Kosmia 'Grit' the rinthi
Current: Like I'd tell you.

Might be worth asking Staff too, as they might have their finger on the pulse of 'Off Peaker Leadership/Clans'.

Depends what you mean by off peak.  The only really dead times I know are like 4 AM to maybe 10 AM EST.   Other than that I know enough players on at various times that I can usually find enough interaction.  And those times also have some great players, just need to know where to look.

I'd recommend playing a character who isn't opposed to travel.  That way if you do find some PCs you like to play with at whatever time you can switch locations.

I prefer hunter/crafter combos myself.  You've got stuff to do alone outside (hunt/greb/explore) and stuff to do inside as well (crafting) that don't require other players. 

So I spent the day creating a new character in Notepad to jump back into things. I go to log into Armageddon, and it seems my previous character (from 2014, it seems according to my character list!) is somehow still alive and is in his late 70's.

What's the good practice here? Can I request that character get killed, or should I jump in at the ripe age of 76 and let the world do the killin' for me? :P

Quote from: Drone on September 24, 2020, 09:26:13 AM
So I spent the day creating a new character in Notepad to jump back into things. I go to log into Armageddon, and it seems my previous character (from 2014, it seems according to my character list!) is somehow still alive and is in his late 70's.

What's the good practice here? Can I request that character get killed, or should I jump in at the ripe age of 76 and let the world do the killin' for me? :P

Jump right in, explore, and live out your character's story!

When the geezer passes on this tool can help you design a new character: https://tristearmageddon.github.io/arma-guild-picker

Feel free to head over to the request tool, log on in, and open a request for storage!

I currently have limited access, but the stumblybad directions are:

Www.armageddon.org
Login button mid-upper right
Login
Open request
Select type to Storage (maybe its Character Storage)
Put in your deets and a staffer will handle it as soon as they are able
I seduced the daughters of men
And made the death of them.
I demanded human sacrifices
From the rest of them.
I became the spirit that haunted
And protected them.
And I lived in the tower of flame
But death collected them.
-War is my Destiny, Ill Bill

Quote from: Drone on September 24, 2020, 09:26:13 AM

Wowwww I would love to play a 76 year old fart that has been in limbo for a few ages!  Wanna trade accounts?   ::)
The glowing Nessalin Nebula flickers eternally overhead.
This Angers The Shade of Nessalin.

AoD has a place inside the templates quarter that takes care of old people.

The incinerator Glorious Flame of His Munificence?

There's definitely more than one tribe with a bunch of players that are around off-peak and on-peak and they are around WHEN LEAST EXPECT IT :D many of them have a good mix of people from all over the world in this game :) If you don't have karma yet for the special clan you can still do a special application if you think you can make an interesting character :)

"A time of ash shall mark the rise of the cities. Days of old shall be new once more."
"The paths diversify, bright strands bring victory, the wrong steps defeat."

Quote from: Dar on October 08, 2020, 01:47:42 PM
AoD has a place inside the templates quarter that takes care of old people.

Foolish commoner, slaves are not real people.