Allanak Isn't the Problem, We Are.

Started by Gentleboy, September 06, 2020, 11:54:56 AM

September 06, 2020, 11:54:56 AM Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 12:14:54 PM by Gentleboy
Hi all, Reposting this from my Allanak thread cause I want to talk about this here and see the thoughts. Remember to treat each other with respect and opinions are opinions. Not facts. So we don't need to hurt one another.

Repost::::

We need to stop rushing plots, scenes, and rping. I do it, others do it. I get it, it's dawn and we have sitting in the sand between mining to do. It reminds me of why I was so disappointed in students in Art School. They'd rush their homework project and make it look like shit to get to the next 'cooler' project. Only for that one to be rushed and look like shit too. There is no waiting for the good to happen, the miraculous. It happens between ourselves and our characters. We need to realize the time is now. The interactions we have with one another is now. I bet you don't know what your bff's (ig) favorite color is. What their father's name was. What their favorite game as a child was. The more we develop bonds and connections between our characters, the more organic stories will be. There is no penalties in holding back information. If someone asks you something, lie. If someone saw you unsuccessfully sneak and they call you out on it? Fuck the code. Say "I'm breaking in the leather of these new boots, what are you talking about?" We are relying too much on code to do the talking.

Did you know, most skills you can lie about having? You don't need any coded skills to sing, dance, play the drums, play cards, tell stories, decorate, draw (everyone gets draw), become interested in the arts, in fashion, in color. In landscapes. Our characters have an opportunity to be fleshed out and experience a world where we should cut ourselves out of. Yeah, the strip of meat at the bar is easier to just buy and eat than going to a vender. But, doesn't your character get sick of eating the same thing? I think we're letting ourselves down and we can do better. Myself included.

I've realized Allanak is not the problem. The city is what it is. It's us. We've done this. We're too busy trying to be clever and one-up each others jokes to realize our characters are not real characters. They're pull-string dolls with a few quips that we play with. I might make a new post addressing this, trying to instill a new era of positivity and strong writing. I've been lazy and sick for a long time and I'm ending it here. I joined Arm because for years all I wanted was a place where people take the world seriously and are willing to commit to characters. And currently, that's not what I'm getting and that's why I've been so angry about the game. And I feel suffocated. But, I am an escapist and I need this game. I am weak-willed and I will keep coming back. I love reading other people's writing, I love reacting and needing to take a breath in before responding. But, those interactions are few-and-between lately and that's not what I first came to love.

I 100% agree with you and somewhere here, I did say that maybe we should be focusing on more of the micro plots/conflicts rather macro ones that can lead to world changing events. We do need to focus more on roleplay on the everyday factors of our characters. Within the last year and half of playing, I noticed that I found that the coded skills are not as important as just simple roleplay.

Quote from: Gentleboy on September 06, 2020, 11:54:56 AM
I am weak-willed and I will keep coming back. I love reading other people's writing, I love reacting and needing to take a breath in before responding.

I'm the same and most of us are who are sticking around.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Agreed that all characters can benefit from more depth, but small talk isn't the only way to establish that. Zalanthas is a harsh desert world and my character doesn't give a crap about what your character's favorite color is. Nor will my character tell you who their mother is; they will wonder why you want to know and if you need that information to say, off my mom.

Yet my backgrounds and characters have this depth; it comes out in emotes, thoughts, and motivations.

I am tired of prescriptive critiques of other people's play styles, frankly. The definition of a "good roleplayer" is not "someone who roleplays exactly like me." I have learned to stop writing off people, because you'll never know when they will surprise you.

Yes: we are the problem if we fail to be kind and give people the benefit of the doubt.
ARMAGEDDON SKILL PICKER THING: https://tristearmageddon.github.io/arma-guild-picker/
message me if something there needs an update.

Of all the things I've seen posted on the GDB, discussed as a problem on the boards or the discord. I have found myself agreeing with this the most and finding something I can deeply learn from to give me some more insight. Thank you for this. I definitely agree.
Quote from: Lotion on August 20, 2020, 06:40:50 AMresting as a city elf walking in the wilderness because "I was so close" and then got jumped by things that could easily kill me and I didn't have the stamina to escape.