Worst deaths?

Started by Lotion, August 20, 2020, 06:40:50 AM

Years-old character. Just finished a bunch of back-and-forth-ing with staff about how to proceed after a major life change that's too IC to talk about to this day. It was an awkward couple RL months of transition but I finally felt like I knew who my character was again, and was ready to pull a bunch of PCs into some newly-hatched plots. It was a promising new era.

Suddenly: abrupt PK that never would have landed if it weren't for a lot of OOC factors coming together to doom me ICly. Including, on stage left, the character who wayed me for help when I was about to log off, going linkdead right after I'd arrived to help them instead of staying to hide somewhere smart (because I'd been hugely downgraded in coded punchiness).

I stayed online and behaved how my character would behave, IC to the bitter end, so I can be proud of that at least.

Going north and looking north every room

l north
"over the shield wall"

me: time to go somewhere else
east

I had an extra north queued...

I think my worst deaths in general are being falsely accused of some crime against a person I hardly know and murdered in an apartment.

But I get over it.
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

Quote from: Veselka on November 18, 2020, 09:45:48 PM
I think my worst deaths in general are being falsely accused of some crime against a person I hardly know and murdered in an apartment.

But I get over it.

I've lost count to how many people I had die by framing them like this. Sorry, if a few of these deaths were caused by me.

Quote from: Lotion on November 18, 2020, 06:03:56 PM
Going north and looking north every room

l north
"over the shield wall"

me: time to go somewhere else
east

I had an extra north queued...

I lost a very long lived, rather well respected Guild Leader to exactly this, only not the shield wall. And I alt-tabbed because someone at work needed to talk so I was off screen for long enough to be dead.

For a long time afterwards, nobody believed thats how he died.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I'm a stupid piece of shit.

Theres a spot in the upper lower red, FOIC HAHA, that isn't really notable. It's a room that leads up the side of a cliff. So you go east, but you slowly start going up and up till you are at the top of the cliff. There's like two areas like this and both are hard to just run into.

Anyway it was tremendous sandstorm and I couldn't see, and I wanted Dsense fails. I also lived in the -Redacted- on the East side so I was heading east.
I had gotten lost in /JUST SUCH/ a way that I wound up going up the cliffs. And wound up falling off and koing.

There are -Not so tough but redacted npcs- that live down there, like 1-2. I kill them all the time cause fuck em.
There was a reboot that hour.

It killed me while KO'd.

Was salty about that for a bit but this was the first death, that was super shitty, that I took in stride.

I was playing a Kadian Merchant named Valentine who started right after Sharlo Kadius was killed.

I spent the first fifty hours or so delivering / cleaning up relationships that had soured under Sharlo.  I even delivered a kiyet rug to the Jihaen Elithian, of which he said "it really ties the room together."  Apparently Elithian was waiting on this delivery for a couple years in game.

So, the first trip I make south from Tuluk to Allanak in the wagon, I meet up with the other Kadian member there, and we take the wagon for a spin.  For some reason, I decide to leave the wagon and walk north.  I guess I forgot what room I leave into.

"stop, criminal, Spice!"
"beep"

(this is before nosave arrest was a thing)

..I was just getting things back on track...   alas.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Three worst I can think of:

Way back in the days of old Tuluk, I played one of the senior servants in House Reynolte; his title was Chancellor.  We had a big RPT where I think Precentors Kul and Isar both showed up and had a fight in the Reynolte courtyard.  Afterwards I took my PC into his bedroom in the estate, locked the door, and went AFK for under 5 mins to use the restroom.  I returned to the Mantis Head and a clear buffer.  To this day I have no idea how he died.

Long ago I special app'd a Lieutenant in House Salarr who was supposed to head up the Expedition Division.  Right around the 3 hour played mark he attended Morning Devotions and then decided to take a short walk just out in front of the city gates, never losing sight of the walls.  Thirst code kicked in and he got severely dehydrated and didn't have the stamina to make it back inside.  He was sat on a dune trying to catch his breath, but dying, and some rinthi grebber girl found him.  She offered to run back to the city and get him some water, but no sooner had she exited the room than he died of thirst.  I felt really lousy for such a stupid death and the time staff had spent setting up the PC.

I played a Nilazi Dune Stalker back during the Dragonsthrall/Echri end of Arm 1.0 stories.  He was the only PC to survive an ill-fated attack on the village of Menos, escaping the clutches of Samos by the skin of his teeth.  A couple days later he went for a casual climb and had a crit fail that made him fall on his neck and die, alone in the desert.
"Never do today what you can put off till tomorrow."

-Aaron Burr

So this is the dumbest death for one of my favorite chars, but it was fitting he went out so ignobly after struggling so hard and achieving a lot (or so I feel as a player). Well  beyond a year and nothing secret here, I played a Sajahain named Torin/Runs-with-Rantarri in the Sun Runners. Super active, long-lived, ran all over the entire world, spent so much time around outsiders he picked up several accents and new languages. He had a quirk where he liked to pick pocket useless shit as trophies. In the Luir's tavern, someone asked him a question, he gave a great answer, and then figured he might as well steal something to make his time worthwhile. I don't remember what it was, but it probably cost like 3 sid. Critical failed, 30 NPCs swarmed him. He survived several rounds and I think one more and my flee would've gone through, died in the tavern. Had some interesting fallout from that for Luir's and the SR!
Fallow Maks For New Elf Sorc ERP:
sad
some of y'all have cringy as fuck signatures to your forum posts

My worst death I can't even describe in detail because it involves magick IC stuff, but it involves me going AFK to make a sandwich for lunch, "safe" in my apartment as a magicker.

Came back to my desk in 10 minutes to a screen full of attack messages and death by 1000 cuts of 1-2 hp strikes, right as the final one hit me and gave me the mantis head.  Had I come back from sandwich-making 15 seconds sooner, I would have been able to fix it and survive.

Quote from: seidhr on November 19, 2020, 10:50:07 PM
My worst death I can't even describe in detail because it involves magick IC stuff, but it involves me going AFK to make a sandwich for lunch, "safe" in my apartment as a magicker.

Came back to my desk in 10 minutes to a screen full of attack messages and death by 1000 cuts of 1-2 hp strikes, right as the final one hit me and gave me the mantis head.  Had I come back from sandwich-making 15 seconds sooner, I would have been able to fix it and survive.

Similar. Although I had to pee and it was much much faster.

"Safe" Apartment/Bases my ass, lol.

I totally deserved it, but still. Epic fail potty break.
You begin searching the area intently.
You look around, but don't find any large wood.
You think: "Story of my life."

A collection of Cool character but I got bored so uh, hey let's go hunting. *Beep*

Funniest has to be cast 'redacted'
A towering what walks in from the east? Oh, that's novel.
*beep*
Try to be the gem in each other's shit.

the moral of the story:
always quit (even quit ooc if you need to) when you're getting up to pee no matter what

would be interesting to see the statistics of what percentage of my quit oocs mention that i'm using the restroom :p

Quote from: Lotion on November 20, 2020, 07:43:29 PM
the moral of the story:
always quit (even quit ooc if you need to) when you're getting up to pee no matter what

would be interesting to see the statistics of what percentage of my quit oocs mention that i'm using the restroom :p

I am usually vague when describing such things.

"Quit OOC: Quick emergency to take care of, be back in 20"

the emergency is bad chinese food.

Haha. Yes, I'd call that an emergency too.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Silt sea, no matter how many times I fall into it, it still chokes me up.
:o

I think my worse was the one time I tried playing a half giant. Was going to try being independent with a character for once and built a character to force me to play independently. Wanted to play up north. Due to the starting locations was trying to leave Tuluk(Maybe there was a better starting location, but I don't know  I think they are all in populated areas?). PC sees me. With about zero interaction they attack me and I die. Not sure if they thought I was an NPC or a staff thing. But was super bummed. This was my brief year back in six years or so ago, one of the starting reasons for me taking another break.
21sters Unite!

I typed up this whole story to do homage to winrothol roleplayers from way back in the day, but its not my #1 so i'll just say: The winrothol guys and gals that played during the 'dwarven Lieutenants' story arc, we got salted hard upon our return home to our clan purge locked in a clan estate.

I think the #1 right outside Allanak. I'm in a cool plot arc with some great roleplayers that've got me logging in, we've been training, plotting. For whatever reason I was kinda chummy with the AoD .... corporal (?) at the time. There was some rogue sorceror that had just fled out the gates. I've got hunt an some combat skills. The corporal sees me tracking and mount up to ride north of the gates.

He goes: "You going aftah him too?"

I go: "Yes, north and i'll bet east."

He says: "Just don't fall into the fucking hole."

And that's how I died not 20 seconds later.

Typed S too many times. Deep silt while riding. Do not pass go. Do not collect 200 dollars.
He is an individual cool cat. A cat who has taken more than nine lives.

Had a stalker/'gicker of a few days played. Decided to "whisper self" for $roleplay_reasons in the same room as a bahamet.

Reader, whisper breaks hide.
<Maso> I thought you were like...a real sweet lady.

December 05, 2020, 11:24:10 PM #45 Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 08:41:55 AM by Dar
I've mentioned this one before. I dont consider it a 'worst' death. In fact, it's an awesome death. But I do consider it a hilariously stupid death :).

So there is a plot of a Giant Spider infestation inside Allanak. Their nest got pin pointed to a building where a giant Momma Spider lives and its children spiders periodically come out to hunt the denizens of the city. They've recently torn apart a Borsail Noble, alongside countless other commoners.

AoD, Templarate, Byn, Etc are preparing for a massive assault of the building and eradication of the infestation. It'll be happening in one, or two days.

I am playing a Jaxa Pah elf who mimics with a spider as its spiritual animal-esque type thing.

I hirew a drovian to scout out the building.

I hire a Bynner to shoot a bunch of bolts into the wall of the building to create a ladder.

I soak the webbed up windows with oil, readying to ignite it in case shit gets sour.

I prepare a bag full of heramide infused rats.

I climb the ladder and infiltrate the building from the attic.

I find the eggs that I wanted to steal already hatched and decide to kidnap some young. The hope was that I'd be able to create a spider farm in the sewers.

I toss a rat out as bait and when a youngling spider wraps itself around it and sinks it's teeth, I scoop it up in a bag.

The movement causes vibration and the spider and spiderlings begin to roust. I toss the bag full of rats out, causing a bunch of them to fly out.

Chaos ensured, all spiders hunting the rats, but no one is noticing me.

All I needed to do is this

emote With ^me bag rustling as something inside it is stirring, @ pulls &me upward and back out onto the rooftop.

And I'm done. I'm out with a youngling spider in my bag. Ready to become a Spider Farmer.

Instead, I decide to do this

close bag

Which breaks my hide and dozens of spiders insta attack me. I manage to escape with 3 hp and blood burn poison which slowly finishes me off.

The absolutely awesome staffer later on sent me an email with the final emote that followed my death.

In the shifting darkness of your fevered, poisoned dreams, you sense a shadow looming over you, many times the size of even the tallest elf. Something moves in the shadows, enveloping you, its touch as gentle as silk. You feel yourself lifted in the dark, limbs dangling uselessly, but the warm softness of whatever is touching you is unabating.

Gradually, the gentle touch grows tighter, more restrictive, more like binding ropes than a gentle caress. Something jerks at your shoulder, and your eyes flutter open long enough to see the following: a crown of gleaming eyes like jewels, staring into your own with an utterly alien, dark detachment.

This is the face that meets Rena as the last of his consciousness is burned away by poison and liquified by the fangs of a gigantic, mottled-orange spider as it welcomes him back to the shadows.

(OOC: Damn it, I didn't realise the poison would kick in that quickly. I meant to carry on this scene longer and I hope you had fun. Thank you for rolling with the punches so well.)

Calavera
Armageddon Staff

This is why I cant fucking quit this game. Despite not having time for idle time wasting for many years now.

Heh- Ironically, during the spider infestation I was playing a shady Arm of the Dragon sneaky-assassin private. I was kitted out, decently skilled, and wandering with Sergeant (or Corporal at the time) Torgun and he decided to enter a building in which there might be a ton of hidden spiders, WITHOUT WARNING ME.

I was carrying like 2 bags of armor I had just purchased, randomly, and at heavy encumbrance.

a spider attacks you!
a spider attacks you!
a spider attacks you!
a spider attacks you!

*beep*

I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Yes, Dar. Yes.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870