Voting and Mud Awareness.

Started by Fredd, August 19, 2020, 11:22:59 AM

I've been thinking about bringing this up for a bit now. We all know that voting is important. It gets the game's name out there to people looking for an RPI MUD. And that's great.

But it's not 1999 anymore. It's 2020, going onto 2021. No one knows what a MUD is. I've explained this game to several people and the BEST answer I get is "Holy Shit, people still play those?" Think about that. Every year the playerbase for MUDS thins out a little bit more as people get tired of the format they have played since the internet was first made.

What we need to do is get word out in other ways. So I'de like to start this thread, in an effort to start that effort. There has to be ways we can spread the word about Arm, outside of TMC and such. Someone once suggested making flyers for game shops. the is an AMAZING idea. If you ar in a country that isn't a covid deathhole like the US and actually have game stores open again, PLEASE DO THAT.

Other then that, maybe we could start some sort of Social Media crusade? What do ya'll think?
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

I agree! Where I am there are so so so so so many game shops.

I also want to make a t-shirt that says something like,

tired of reality, ask me about Armaggedon.

I used to tweet about it a lot and some D&D people that followed me showed interested but I never followed up! I should follow up because they have more followers than me that might also be interested!

Quote from: Gentleboy on August 19, 2020, 01:00:33 PM

I'd wear it!
The naked chubby winged halfling flaps its wings and blows you a kiss!

Quote from: Shaydee on August 19, 2020, 05:56:28 PM
I used to tweet about it a lot and some D&D people that followed me showed interested but I never followed up! I should follow up because they have more followers than me that might also be interested!

Quote from: Gentleboy on August 19, 2020, 01:00:33 PM

That's a great idea!

I'd wear it!
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

I think the best way to advertise and spread word about a niche game like this is to go to other niche and more 'obscure' communities, like DF's or CDDA's, and other roguelikes for example. They usually have forums, and an 'other games' board where other folks often advertise the games they enjoy. People who play those sorts of games are usually more open to roleplay, and more complicated and unique experiences in gaming.. like muds.

You most likely won't find someone wanting to play a mud when the most videogame exposure they've had has been to AAA mainstream games.
You try to climb, but slip.
You plummet to the ground below...

Actually this got me thinking, who runs the official Armageddon Twitter? I got one of my D&D followers (One of the ones who has way more followers who also love D&D) to follow it but there hasn't been a new tweet on there since March.
The naked chubby winged halfling flaps its wings and blows you a kiss!

I want to make T-shirts. But, I can't afford to do it for free. I want to make it non-profit where people can pay for the shirt and the inks (I can screen print myself thanks to my printmaking degree) And the shipping. I'll make a post about it later, I think. I want to do less of the logo, and more of a ruff circle I think. Or posting some good quotes from people's signatures or funny RP/really good RP lines.

T-shirts would be nice. I could possibly start some form of club at school for Roleplaying games like DnD and throw some MUDs in there for people to check out because if I know people who like DnD at my school in my year they probably would dig the idea of a retro RPI.

Edit: Maybe some new content from staff that could give us something to put out there? =P
Quote from: Lotion on August 20, 2020, 06:40:50 AMresting as a city elf walking in the wilderness because "I was so close" and then got jumped by things that could easily kill me and I didn't have the stamina to escape.

September 19, 2020, 09:49:40 PM #8 Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 09:53:48 PM by Obeliskocism
I just came upon this 3 minute clip on the website for one of the other muds that was paying for a banner ad on TMS.  I'm not sure if it's been shared around before, but It think it's interesting:

Edit: ugh, well I can't include the link, either embedded or as plain text.  It just won't show up.  I don't know why.  So search youtube for:
GET LAMP: Richard Bartle on text and imagination
https://youtu.be/Zctp972y_Eg

Super interesting. I agree with what he is saying and there are many studies around how our brains interpret language and text and images that supports most of his points. For example when I type in 'chocolate bar' you think of the most delicious bar of chocolate you have ever had - not the word 'chocolate bar'. And when you see the word 'chocolate bar' over and over again, your brain goes back to the smells, tastes, look of that perfect bar of chocolate.

There were t-shirts, but I'm not walking around wearing a shirt that says "murder, corruption, and betrayal", I am just not.

I like Gentleboy's idea for a tshirt slogan.

You could always design something and work with staff to set it up on Redbubble or some other tshirt site, then figure out who the money should go to for site & server maintenance. The front page could especially use a tweak in removing that image header, since it breaks nearly every time I load the site. Hell, I'd do it for free, but I suspect there's a thousand hoops you'd have to jump just to edit the website, which would be part of the problem.

As for twitter, et al, you'd need someone dedicated to social media representation who could do a good job with it, or you're better off not doing it at all.

i.e. Not an overworked storyteller who now has to add "part time job representing ArmageddonMUD on twitter" to their plate.

I'm not cool with T-shirts either, but stickers would be nice!
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

"A time of ash shall mark the rise of the cities. Days of old shall be new once more."
"The paths diversify, bright strands bring victory, the wrong steps defeat."

October 26, 2020, 01:10:04 AM #13 Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 01:12:17 AM by Classclown
Arm could use a stronger Twitter presence and a Youtube channel (with merch option) You couldn't really do a let's play, it would have too much ic information, but maybe there could be Introductory and Lore-based videos, introducing muds in general, RPI's and Armageddon specifically and explaining the world, widely known historical events and things like that. Maybe have videos discussing approved old plotlines that might draw people in to create a character of their own. You could have a rundown of Classes/Sub-classes, tips on chargen, etc. It would take a lot of effort, though, but it would be much easier to be able to give the link of the channel to people to explain muds/Armageddon. Players could submit their own videos too and staff could upload the approved ones, for those with the time/initiative.

Awesome idea for the YouTube channel!
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points