The Allanak Problem

Started by Gentleboy, August 19, 2020, 03:53:28 AM

January 22, 2021, 02:20:53 PM #625 Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 09:59:20 PM by williamson
Quote from: Riev on January 18, 2021, 08:02:27 PM

It gets mentioned every once in a while, typically by Brokkr. Its not a hard-line "No plots till you're 90d old" or something. Its the general idea that between finding aides and allies, cooking up plots, involving staff, and getting the OKAY from Producers, it tends to take MONTHS for stuff to get off the ground.

Which is PERSONALLY irritating because a PC's world changes in minutes. Even seconds. But a Leadership PC has to wait months.

It is my belief that it lends itself to the idea that you "have to stay alive" in order to get things done. WILL staff support you on a week old character? Maybe. If they like you, have time to do something, your plot doesn't change the world at all, and the local admin says its okay.

I must respectfully disagree.

I think a new noble can immediately begin small plots such as hiring staff, scouting, gathering information,  or throwing parties.

However, a newbie noble should start at the bottom of the political power hierarchy. Don't expect your new noble to lead an army to conquer Red Storm after 6 weeks. Don't forget that as nobles age they acquire more political influence,  allies, titles, and larger stipends. It wouldn't fit the game theme for a new noble to arrive equal to his more accomplished peers. Just as it wouldn't make sense for a new warrior to arrive with the same combat prowress as a seasoned veteran.

As a player, I've found that there is a lot of freedom in the game especially if your patient, well planned, careful, and advance yourself with incremental improvements. Just don't expect to run before you learn to crawl.
"Let sleeping characters sleep naked." -Azroen

Quote from: williamson on January 22, 2021, 02:20:53 PM
As a player, I've found that there is a lot of freedom in the game especially if your patient, well planned, careful, and advance yourself with incremental improvements. Just don't expect to run before you learn to crawl.

I think this what we are forgetting for sure. Well said. A sense of real time, in the game world, is one of the biggest plus of Arm. Even I do dislike it at time, but it's something that I don't really see anywhere.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Hello all, I just want to say that I've been having a baller time lately.

Anyway, I got a new gripe with Nak.

Staff, you promise rpts and you all do a great job of it. RPTs in Allanak.... it's like a slow-burn fluctuating on political dramas that end with someone dying and everyone being so fucking glad that the weak-link in the plot is dead that they want the plot to be over with. Or spiders. Or war or something. Or things that normal people who aren't nobles or warriors (for the violent plots) can't see. I would have loved to see the political drama of the senate but could not due to my character at the time. Court room dramas are my jam. I want more.

I love some good drama. I would love some RPTs centered in the city with more political drama plots, ones that commoners can have more of a view on or say on. Cause, why go to Allanak as a player if it's not for that tasty pseudo Mr. Darcy vs Miss Havisham duel?

Quote from: Gentleboy on April 26, 2021, 01:41:49 AM
I love some good drama. I would love some RPTs centered in the city with more political drama plots, ones that commoners can have more of a view on or say on. Cause, why go to Allanak as a player if it's not for that tasty pseudo Mr. Darcy vs Miss Havisham duel?
That.
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

I know that Tuluk is on it's fourth MAJOR reversion but how many reversions has Allanak gone through? I'm just wondering if Allanak needs a reversion, if it didn't go through one.

MAJOR reversions here, not minor.
Fredd-

Quote from: Barsook on September 26, 2021, 12:47:15 PM
I know that Tuluk is on it's fourth MAJOR reversion but how many reversions has Allanak gone through? I'm just wondering if Allanak needs a reversion, if it didn't go through one.

MAJOR reversions here, not minor.

As far as I recall, the biggest revision was in 2000/2001.
An earthquake happened, and the city changed (and grew) and Melith's Circle became a rectangle.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

But did that change how Allanak works? Or did it stay the same?
Fredd-

Besides the 2000/2001 map changing - which was a rezone of the Labyrinth, Commoners, Magickers, Bazaar, Merchants area...

Most of Allanak changes have been incremental:
* Added Rentable Apartments
* Re-Added T'zai Byn as a clan to join and made it more newplayer friendly.
* Added Tor Scorpions
* Added Tor Academy
* Redone Bard's Barrel to the Red's Retreat
* Added Oashi Wineshop
* Added Atrium
* Added Arboretum
* Added Apartments to Gaj
* Closed up the Magicker area
* Added Warehouses
* Changed Allanaki Templar political ranking progression
* De-Virtulized 'Virtual Noble Houses'
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: Barsook on September 26, 2021, 12:57:05 PM
But did that change how Allanak works? Or did it stay the same?

The change in how templars worked have been a significant change.
The warehouses was also a significant change.

Aside that. What exactly are you looking for? Democracy?

I'm not sure what I'm looking for, maybe because Allanak and Tuluk are different beasts with different themes. Or, as a player, I don't understand Allanak just as much as I do about Tuluk. Which is the basics but the why of basics. Something like that. It was just a thought when I posted that question.

Those answers did help though.
Fredd-

I think things are going.. okay.

The tools we need are set up, now we need more of a playerbase and stable numbers.

Allanak is beginning to evolve a bit with the times. Now all we need... is... STREETLAMPS.

I think allanak's public/non-restricted areas are wayyyyy too big rn for a playerbase that is smaller than it was and also now split between two hubs. I feel maybe some shrinking might encourage more mingling? At the very least all the "key" locations could somehow be brought closer to each other maybe?

We could use with some earthquakes that slash away bits of the city or maybe some roadwork projects that make certain roads quicker to traverse (like those "skip" rooms around the bazaar)

In particular I never really liked gickers or how extravagant their temples are maybe those cursed places could use some "resizing"

Add more gick clans.
Quote from: nauta on February 23, 2015, 04:50:18 PM
Tek's Balls - See Utep's teeth.

If life gives you lemons, open a lemonade stand untill you make millions, invest into weapons and go to war.

I saw an ig board post about how human pc gemmers weren't allowed to join a specific player run clan that hired them and were required to join coded clans that would hire them instead which I thought was rather silly. If working for Oash Circle or redacted is supposed to be a better alternative than working for a non human pc's player owned clan then why did they have to be forcibly herded in that direction?

I have no clue honestly as the last pc I tried to play in Allanak I stored out of boredom very quickly and if I ever get into a gem or death situation I'm probably just going to type quit ooc storing and put in a storage request.

Not sure if this is the right place to post my gripes but:
1: I find it odd we use the military as the police/guard force. From my understanding most civilizations separated these, both because you don't need the people policing your populace to be outfitted in plate mail and swords and also because they preform two highly different functions (Yes, I know Templar's are 'technically the only ones who can arrest people' but should the army really be the one chasing criminals?

This complaint/gripe is mostly because...
2: It was definitely the job of the town guard to light lanterns and torches, and becomes more awkward if we add those and require soldiers to do it. Would be an excellent shit job. Post street lamps on certain cross roads and have it when they are lit they provide 2 room lighting, and have it so only certain ones or each one has a chance of lighting. It is up to recruits (Or whatever the possible guard force in general) to light these at night to help provide safety. I'd even suggest having npc muggers or criminals attack people if these aren't lit, or a chance of such a thing to happen.

This doesn't really deal with the overall 'I hate Allanak because' theme, or just complaints in general, but I didn't see a 'Allanak ideas' thread.

Quote from: Lotion on September 27, 2021, 03:24:46 PM
I saw an ig board post about how human pc gemmers weren't allowed to join a specific player run clan that hired them and were required to join coded clans that would hire them instead which I thought was rather silly. If working for Oash Circle or redacted is supposed to be a better alternative than working for a non human pc's player owned clan then why did they have to be forcibly herded in that direction?

I have no clue honestly as the last pc I tried to play in Allanak I stored out of boredom very quickly and if I ever get into a gem or death situation I'm probably just going to type quit ooc storing and put in a storage request.

It is my interpretation that quit OOC should not be used to avoid in-game consequences. I believe the helpfile warns that such use could result in loss of the ability.
"Let sleeping characters sleep naked." -Azroen

Quote from: williamson on September 27, 2021, 03:56:21 PM

It is my interpretation that quit OOC should not be used to avoid in-game consequences. I believe the helpfile warns that such use could result in loss of the ability.

What're you gonna do? Store me?

- man about to store
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

The notion that a player should be required to continue playing a character they no longer wish to play is ridiculous.

Quote from: Lotion on September 27, 2021, 09:26:36 PM

The notion that a player should be required to continue playing a character they no longer wish to play is ridiculous.

OOC: I'm requesting death instead of gem.

Expecting your fellow players to be left jarred right out of their scene by a sudden log out and utter avoidance of RP due to an OOC aspect is far from appropriate.
Nessalin: At night, I stand there and watch you sleep.  With a hammer in one hand and a candy cane in the other.  Judging.

Quote from: Shabago on September 27, 2021, 09:30:52 PM
Quote from: Lotion on September 27, 2021, 09:26:36 PM

OOC: I'm requesting death instead of gem.

Expecting your fellow players to be left jarred right out of their scene by a sudden log out and utter avoidance of RP due to an OOC aspect is far from appropriate.

As a former Templar player I experienced this more than once: PC's who REALLY pushed their luck, punishment was being prepared and then POOF. They're gone.

Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

I'll be honest, I am sad to hear some of these responses. This type of thinking is what letting people who don't like their character suicide themselves only to kill their enemy XYZ. 

Folks. We're playing a roleplaying game. Whether anything can be done to your character, or not due to ooc reasons, you should still maintain the continuity of the story.

I'm confused.

If the story of your PC isn't going exactly as you plan, or as you desire, or as you predicted...

You quit OOC and store the PC?

What game are you playing?
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

Quote from: Veselka on September 28, 2021, 03:08:44 AM
I'm confused.

If the story of your PC isn't going exactly as you plan, or as you desire, or as you predicted...

Sounds like.. single player? :p
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

'Folks. We're playing a roleplaying game. Whether anything can be done to your character, or not due to ooc reasons, you should still maintain the continuity of the story.'
I mean, I don't necessarily agree.
I mean I kinda do.

I think the staffers response is about how I feel about it. If you don't want to be gemmed, OOC: Hey, kill me.
We have rules for being mutilated and what not, I don't see the issue. Some people don't want to be a gemmed-slave character, and that's fine.
If you all think not wanting to be gemmed is some crazy crime against roleplay, wait till you find out you can request to be killed over losing a hand or a few fingers. I think losing a hand is a lot less 'important' to a character's life than possibly having a gem put on.

September 28, 2021, 01:33:12 PM #649 Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 03:39:15 PM by Lotion
Quote from: Veselka on September 28, 2021, 03:08:44 AM
I'm confused.

That's a gross misrepresentation. Gemming is a form of mutilation. I have endured many hardships on my characters and came back from super low lows and those were great stories to tell. Playing a gemmed simply does not appeal to me and I'd rather spend my free time doing something enjoyable i.e. not playing a gemmed.