Applying For A Leader / Other Role

Started by Is Friday, August 18, 2020, 06:32:12 PM

August 18, 2020, 06:32:12 PM Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 09:28:57 PM by Is Friday
Hey! I am told that I get accepted for a fair amount of leader PCs and while a vast majority do not last a long time (on purpose, mostly) I thought it would be a good idea to shoot some hopeful future leader players some tips about the application process.

This is meant to alleviate some of the anxiety that other players might have about applying. Rejection is very common, even for experienced players. Since the request tool doesn't automatically sort these I had to go by "role application" and scribble down tally marks after checking each one. About 74 total apps, in total. Roughly 15 of those were family/non-leaders. So around 50 leader apps since I began playing in 2007. That's 3.8 leader apps a year.

(Templars in this graph is actually AoD. My only accepted were Sergeants.)

1.) Volume, volume, volume. If you consistently apply, you're going to catch a break.

2.) If you get rejected, you should ask staff what you can do to improve in a separate request in order to be considered next round.

3.) Make certain that you're following every guideline in the role application process. It makes it really easy to set your application aside or pick another if you aren't following the requested information for a background or OOC goals.

4.) Include a list of your ideas for the role. How are you going to have fun IG? What are their plans IC and what are your plans OOC? (These don't have to be mutually exclusive.) Having something laid out to putz around with besides the assigned responsibilities is important.

5.) Rejection happens a majority of the time. Kadius is a fluke for me or I'm just fabulous, I guess. Tribal roles are usually available.

6.) Have fun with your application! If you get rejected then all you have is some application you cannot play (without adjustments) anyway, so you may as well have fun writing it up.

7.) Memes and gifs in theme with your app are a must.

Sample Application: "Gladys Kadius" (Yes, this was accepted for some reason. I changed her name to Glasyr Kadius, i.e. Glassy Kadius.)
QuoteKadian role call?

>em cants ^me head slightly and quirks an eyebrow.

Gladys Kadius

desc:
the crisp, ribbon-haired woman
Onyx hair on this young woman has been pulled back into a braid
rife with colorful ribbons. With high cheekbones, a straight nose,
her pointed chin, the dark brow, and pale skin she has a crisp
portrait of contrasting color and scheme. Earnestly cared for and
spoiled, her body is the result of a well fed youth with some
oomph to the bosom and hips. Body language and carriage annotate
that she is upper class, producing an airy grace.

background:
"Gladys, Gladys, Gladys. What's the matter with you!? We had the
Falcons looking for you all morning! You need to cut back on the
drinking, girl."

Gladys Kadius is a privileged, pretty thing. She's used to waking
up at noon with a hangover and nipping that right in the bud with
a glass of marillum. Exceptionally alcoholic yet highly successful
despite it, Gladys has willed herself into a promotion by always
being the center of attention at any party. Most of the sales she
closes happen because she is invited to any get-together as a
guaranteed source of entertainment. She may show up completely
kegged, but she does show up.

She's known to be miserable while sober and can acquire something
of a snippy attitude if her buzz is wearing off. Inevitably, she
says something rude to someone or speaks her unpopular opinion
with her body language to the crowd around her. Sometimes, she's
known to acquire "Loosetongue", or at least that she blames her
sudden monologues on the nefarious illness.

guild:
Would I be able to try out Artisan and an extended subguild?

Relevant Experience:
- list of leaders I've played
- talked about sales experience IRL

Gladys at the party.

Gladys Loosetongue moment.

Gladys Loosetongue #2.

Gladys closing a sale.

Gladys the day after the party.

Gladys chastising a crafter.

You're going to pick me, right? I mean, like, it's not as though you have a better option.

For the record I think there's some really great leader players (better than me) in the community. Let's get some role application tips going in the comments.

ADDITIONAL STATS:
QuoteMine was accepted of 14 applicants for Borsail role call, April 2019 role call. (No gladiators were accepted so the clan was closed.)

Me + 1 apps were accepted of 11 applicants for Kadian role call, June/July 2018.

Rejected by both AoD/Nobles, 23 apps for Templar & Noble, Feb 2018.

Rejected by AoD, 19 apps for Templar, June 2017.

Rejected by nobles, 6-7 apps total, May 2017.

Rejected for Templar, 19 apps total, Jan 2017.

Rejected for Noble 2 accepted, 18 apps total, Sep 2016.

Accepted for Byn Sarge with 1 other, 3-8 apps total, July 2016. (Hard to say how many based on weekly data.)

Rejected Guild Boss, 11 apps total, Apr 2016.

Rejected Noble, 16 apps total, Apr 2016.

Accepted Noble, Templar app at same time, 18 apps total, Oct 2014.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Best tip I can give:

Send in regular reports on your current Character. This shows staff you know how to do it. And will make them more inclined to choose your app.

Leaders require weekly reports, and sometimes more than weekly. So a history of good reporting helps.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

August 18, 2020, 07:52:57 PM #2 Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 07:56:33 PM by Barsook
Very good tip! I remember asking for why one of my apps were rejected and that was one of the key reasons why it was rejected.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Updated with some additional submission stats with number of apps from some of my role calls. Looks like Templars and nobles get a ton of apps (or did.) I highly encourage those seeking leadership experience to earn their way to a leadership spot in a clan or apply GMH.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

This is all good but I think #3 is especially important.  Most special app roles are limiting in one way or another and you need something (or many things) your character can do to keep it interesting for you and other players. 

Also prepare to be rejected or willing to compromise once you're in game.  PC leaders are middle management and might get their ideas for plots rejected even if the app gets approved.