My Code Suggestions Wishlist

Started by NinjaFruitSalad, July 17, 2020, 08:58:54 PM

July 17, 2020, 08:58:54 PM Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 09:00:59 PM by NinjaFruitSalad
There's a few things I'd like added, hopefully for quality of life and less spam.

New commands:

First, the command BRANDISH.  It actually does the exact same thing as wield. But why?  I tend to keep trying to type brandish instead of wield.  It's weird, but the thing is, whenever you wield something, the game says you brandish it. And so that's likely what started getting me typing brandish instead.

--

Second, the command COOK.  Same command as CRAFT, but we can make it only find cooking crafts. I'd like it for pretty much the same reason as above.   :-\

Less spam:

When using WATCH, things get unnecessarily spammy when something moves.  For example, you start watching a rat. When it moves east, you get two messages:

Nearby to the east: You see a rat move east.
Far to the east: You see a rat move in from the west.

This just gets confusing with seemingly conflicting messages and takes extra effort to read. You have to train your mind to only pay attention to one of the two lines, but even then.. I still find it confusing.  What we should aim for is only displaying one message to the watcher. Which message? We can just display what is observed in the closest room.

-

Manipulating multiple objects. Things get very spammy when you're moving stuff around. Let's say you're doing a little trade deal in the tavern? Everyone gets spammed that Amos removes meat from his pack and gives it to somebody. Many many times, potentially.

The first thing we can modify that's already implemented is the get/give/drop/put all.thing command.  It just needs to count how many items are present, then for the destination, count the maximum amount the receiving player or container can hold, take the minimum. The room sees:  Amos gets some hunks of meat from his pack.  Amos gives Bob some hunks of meat.  It would be very nice and succinct.  Two lines instead of fourteen.

Then, after that's done, we can add some number functionality to the get/give/drop/put commands. I would not know which format to best recommend...  perhaps if we just had a number in front of the item, similar to how coins are handled. So, you could input "give 2 hunk.meat Bob". You might have eight, but you only give two.  The room sees: Amos gives Bob a couple hunks of meat.

A work-around:
You can use aliases, either game-side or client-side. You can create an alias called "cook" that equals "craft." And you can create an alias called "brandish" that equals "draw" or "wield." (I only use draw, since it combines the "get" or "unload" command with "wield" into one simple command and action)

A workaround for the transfer of stuff: you can carry an empty bag on you. Then, remove your pack and "pour all green.tablet bag" and it will transfer all of your green tablets to that bag with a single line of text, and a delay to represent however many items you just transferred. Then just give the bag to Amos.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Lizzie on July 17, 2020, 09:12:36 PM
A work-around:
You can use aliases, either game-side or client-side. You can create an alias called "cook" that equals "craft." And you can create an alias called "brandish" that equals "draw" or "wield." (I only use draw, since it combines the "get" or "unload" command with "wield" into one simple command and action)

A workaround for the transfer of stuff: you can carry an empty bag on you. Then, remove your pack and "pour all green.tablet bag" and it will transfer all of your green tablets to that bag with a single line of text, and a delay to represent however many items you just transferred. Then just give the bag to Amos.

Thanks, Lizzie.   :)