Removing Content From the Game

Started by Cind, July 13, 2020, 07:35:36 AM

You vote by deciding to play the game or not, it's pretty easy.

You decided that we can't play in Tuluk anymore? Okay, that's fine, but I also haven't played in 3+ years because of it.

If you really can't find any other hobbies than Armageddon then you probably don't have much say in how the game is being run.

If no one played Armageddon anymore then you might get some of the changes you wished for, but as long as you still play and mostly just shout on the GDB, you don't have much say power in how the game is being run.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: Malken on July 23, 2020, 02:06:34 PM
You vote by deciding to play the game or not, it's pretty easy.

You decided that we can't play in Tuluk anymore? Okay, that's fine, but I also haven't played in 3+ years because of it.

If you really can't find any other hobbies than Armageddon then you probably don't have much say in how the game is being run.

If no one played Armageddon anymore then you might get some of the changes you wished for, but as long as you still play and mostly just shout on the GDB, you don't have much say power in how the game is being run.

Yes, this is the status quo to some. But is it ideal? I do not believe so. Our player count is low, etc. It sucks.

I have been too busy to play in more than a week. Would be a shame if my absence were confused for some vindictive gamer boycott.

To others, the opportunity to give feedback -- even if we are too busy ballin to play -- would be welcomed.
ARMAGEDDON SKILL PICKER THING: https://tristearmageddon.github.io/arma-guild-picker/
message me if something there needs an update.

Quote from: triste on July 23, 2020, 02:10:41 PM
Yes, this is the status quo to some. But is it ideal? I do not believe so. Our player count is low, etc. It sucks.

I have been too busy to play in more than a week. Would be a shame if my absence were confused for some vindictive gamer boycott.

To others, the opportunity to give feedback -- even if we are too busy ballin to play -- would be welcomed.

Who says you can't offer your feedback?

Problem is that no one just offers their feedback and then leave it at that.

Most thread goes something like -

"I think that removing Tuluk was a bad idea because it's one less place for players to play in. Thank you. Goodbye."

[2 days later]

"Black Lives Matter!" "Tuluk sucks!" "Tuluk = RP'ed racism!" "I have an ancestor who was a slave and I'm okay with RP'ed racism!"

Quote from: Malken on July 23, 2020, 02:38:18 PM
Most thread goes something like -
. . .
"Black Lives Matter!" "Tuluk sucks!" "Tuluk = RP'ed racism!" "I have an ancestor who was a slave and I'm okay with RP'ed racism!"

This discourse wasn't brought up for days -- until you just did. How convenient that you can prove your own point. You can also fix the problem by ceasing to be the problem.
ARMAGEDDON SKILL PICKER THING: https://tristearmageddon.github.io/arma-guild-picker/

But yes, back to finding solutions. If anyone has productive ideas besides Malken's "Don't play," and messy threads, feel free to offer them. Given that threads often pop up around the creation of new features, my proposal is to formalize feature discussion in the hope of keeping things on topic, building consensus, and allowing communication without locking threads / censoring folk. Gotdamnmiracle and OP are right for wanting acceptable -- AKA player supported -- decisions from staff.

Quote from: triste on July 23, 2020, 03:35:22 PM
But yes, back to finding solutions. If anyone has productive ideas besides Malken's "Don't play," and messy threads, feel free to offer them. Given that threads often pop up around the creation of new features, my proposal is to formalize feature discussion in the hope of keeping things on topic, building consensus, and allowing communication without locking threads / censoring folk. Gotdamnmiracle and OP are right for wanting acceptable -- AKA player supported -- decisions from staff.

Like this?

http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,55741.0.html

Quote from: triste on July 23, 2020, 01:46:16 PM
Not on the previous topic, but I am a solution oriented person. This post will not contain that scary vote word.

Mechanism: Before staff enforce a change, they open a thread proposing the change and get feedback before acting on it.

Bring solutions as much as you like to bring problems.

Like this, Malken. I made my proposal as clear as possible but I am happy to repeat it for your edification.

In simple english, prior to making a change, staff ask players for their feedback prior to enforcing.

But thank you also for linking that thread. It exists in large part because I made the irrefutable point that our feedback is always reactionary. They listened to me. So glad people like the thread my well reasoned debate helped to create.

Quote from: Riev on July 15, 2020, 03:35:58 PM
From what I remember of their excuses/reasons why, advanced weapons were removed because not a lot of people got to that level in the first place, they were clunky and had attributes that didn't fit with the vision of current leadership, and (speculation) encouraged twinky behavior because "I really want an advanced weapon".

Frankly, as someone who had advanced weapons numerous times, each time the big struggle was more FINDING a weapon. I had to special order knives from Salarr once, but then someone checked into why I even had knife weapons and they didn't like my twinky behavior. That character never once killed anyone, or as aggressive in any way.

Are the skills completely removed from the game, or is there some super long lived warrior sitting in a corner with their trident giggling that they are the last person alive that can use it?
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Quote from: Fredd on July 28, 2020, 02:10:47 AM
Quote from: Riev on July 15, 2020, 03:35:58 PM
From what I remember of their excuses/reasons why, advanced weapons were removed because not a lot of people got to that level in the first place, they were clunky and had attributes that didn't fit with the vision of current leadership, and (speculation) encouraged twinky behavior because "I really want an advanced weapon".

Frankly, as someone who had advanced weapons numerous times, each time the big struggle was more FINDING a weapon. I had to special order knives from Salarr once, but then someone checked into why I even had knife weapons and they didn't like my twinky behavior. That character never once killed anyone, or as aggressive in any way.

Are the skills completely removed from the game, or is there some super long lived warrior sitting in a corner with their trident giggling that they are the last person alive that can use it?

I'm pretty sure at this point, no long-lived warrior exists with these skills, or access to them as a PC.
They were switched to be used for Gladiators-only, during their long stint in Allanak. You could apply to be a Gladiator with a Polearm specialty, if you wanted it.

The skills 'exist', but they are out of reach for PCs.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I also haven't played in 3+ years because of it.
Why are you here?

Quote from: Lotion on July 28, 2020, 10:58:21 AM
Why are you here?

Why do people read National Enquirer?

Quote from: Malken on July 28, 2020, 11:13:10 AM
Quote from: Lotion on July 28, 2020, 10:58:21 AM
Why are you here?

Why do people read National Enquirer?

Former players are free to post here, and we are free to debate their ideas [or counterproductive snark].