The rinth needs love

Started by Dresan, June 16, 2020, 02:15:39 PM

i really really liked the idea of apartments in the rinth.

like surely some enterprising slum lord with some goons could take over an abandoned building and turn it into semi-secure housing for those well-off enough rinthis who could afford a shitty little room of their own to hide their stolen teapots or whatever have you.

it gets to a point where you basically have to join a clan and use their space or leave the rinth and go anywhere else because there is no way to secure even a modicum of privacy for any business you may want to do.

Quote from: Riev on August 17, 2020, 03:04:52 PM
So what I'm getting from that is...

"The place is designed to be an arduous trek, and there used to be cool stuff that made the trek worth it but most of that stuff is gone now"

Cool.
Knowing that you can get from the desert to the rinth without seeing a templar seems like a very compelling reason

Quote from: rohenne on August 18, 2020, 06:51:02 AM

like surely some enterprising slum lord with some goons could take over an abandoned building and turn it into semi-secure housing for those well-off enough rinthis who could afford a shitty little room of their own to hide their stolen teapots or whatever have you.

it gets to a point where you basically have to join a clan and use their space or leave the rinth and go anywhere else because there is no way to secure even a modicum of privacy for any business you may want to do.

In favor too, particularly if said squalid slums periodically do squalid slum things like have a few rooms catch on fire or have a floor collapse.

A rentable room with a hole in the ceiling that people can openly crawl through, that sort of thing!
ARMAGEDDON SKILL PICKER THING: https://tristearmageddon.github.io/arma-guild-picker/
message me if something there needs an update.

Quote from: triste on August 18, 2020, 10:07:01 AM

In favor too, particularly if said squalid slums periodically do squalid slum things like have a few rooms catch on fire or have a floor collapse.

A rentable room with a hole in the ceiling that people can openly crawl through, that sort of thing!

This used to exist in commoners square. There was really shitty apartments that you could search out cracks leading to the roof. No one kept stuff in them.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

A squalid slum apartment building would be a hilarious, fitting and interesting addition to the rinth.
I for one can see all the fun times that could be had there, and its half-abandoned, substandard conditions and terrible reputation.

That being said: there are a few concerns.

1. The rinth thrives in limitation. One of those primary limitations are homelessness and an unstable environment. There are clans to be involved with and ladders to climb to get a safe place in the rinth but a dedicated "home" building would detract from the many dens, squatted buildings and horrible corners of the rinth. These places are underused as they are. I know this apartment building would be dangerous and unreliable itself, but I think it would have a subconscious effect seeing it much the same way other apartment areas are.

2. Erecting and changing establishments anywhere, including the rinth, is up to player/staff interaction. Money, supplies, etc.
If nobody does the huge task themselves, there's the chance for a virtual building that has "always been there" being available but I wouldn't hold your breath.

3. Gankquest, quest for the gank. Apartment killing, we all know it (or soon will). The rinth is an easy place to PK as it is, and if the apartments are already unreliable at best then often it will boil down to "meet me at the span", but instead its the killing room where we gank noobies and take their starter large and sell their boots. While there's some good use possibly as an interrogation room, its not the only decent place that can happen.

I love the idea, I just don't know if it would work.

Quote from: Fredd on August 18, 2020, 02:49:31 PM

This used to exist in commoners square. There was really shitty apartments that you could search out cracks leading to the roof. No one kept stuff in them.

Those were the ones I was thinking of because I used to rent one!

Your counter point here is actually a counterpoint to BOXCARS's argument, thus reinforcing the one I'm making and what rohenne and others are musing about. These apartments really didn't offer security. They were just a resource for roleplay.

Also, I think I've just realized you literally cannot ERP in the 'rinth without risking being automatically stored and banned. LMAO. Might want to warn new players about that before they get banned (hopefully it's not too late but I bet $100 dollars it is because I like winning bets).
ARMAGEDDON SKILL PICKER THING: https://tristearmageddon.github.io/arma-guild-picker/

Quote from: triste on August 18, 2020, 04:28:18 PM

Your counter point here is actually a counterpoint to BOXCARS's argument, thus reinforcing the one I'm making and what rohenne and others are musing about. These apartments really didn't offer security. They were just a resource for roleplay.

Also, I think I've just realized you literally cannot ERP in the 'rinth without risking being automatically stored and banned. LMAO. Might want to warn new players about that before they get banned (hopefully it's not too late but I bet $100 dollars it is because I like winning bets).

I've had erp in the rinth. How are you banned for it?
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Quote from: Fredd on August 18, 2020, 04:42:23 PM

Having ERP in public places is a big naughty no-no. I got negative account notes for doing that once years ago, and I've heard of players being reported for it. Not sure about banning, but I think it happens. While I was mostly making light and cracking a joke, yes, there are rules against public ERP.

Quote from: triste on August 18, 2020, 04:44:58 PM

Having ERP in public places is a big naughty no-no. I got negative account notes for doing that once years ago, and I've heard of players being reported for it. Not sure about banning, but I think it happens. While I was mostly making light and cracking a joke, yes, there are rules against public ERP.

There are places you can go and hide that aren't really public. But some shitty apartments wouldn't be bad, even if it was a Joy Hotel, when you are really renting for hours, kinda like the Gaj back room. It would be nice to see rival gangs pop up in the rinth, and apartments might help that, giving people outside The Guild a place to talk somewhat privately.

Quote from: Fredd on August 18, 2020, 04:48:31 PM
Quote from: triste on August 18, 2020, 04:44:58 PM

There are places you can go and hide that aren't really public. But some shitty apartments wouldn't be bad, even if it was a Joy Hotel, when you are really renting for hours, kinda like the Gaj back room. It would be nice to see rival gangs pop up in the rinth, and apartments might help that, giving people outside The Guild a place to talk somewhat privately.

Basically this. My favorite apartment in this game is the one in Tuluk that's basically a little dirt hole in the ground. I had so many grubby characters living out of that and while I couldn't keep things there overnight without something being stolen, it was still lovely for roleplay.

Okay I love the feedback rolling in, petty gangs based out of the apartments would be really cool ngl.

Nothing stop that from happening right now but I might be a little no-new-toys gang.

August 19, 2020, 10:07:42 AM #61 Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 10:29:23 AM by triste
Quote from: BOXCARS on August 18, 2020, 11:24:22 PM
Okay I love the feedback rolling in, petty gangs based out of the apartments would be really cool ngl.

Nothing stop that from happening right now but I might be a little no-new-toys gang.

Word. If the 'rinth got any content -- like RPTs that were staff supported at least half as often as the southside got RPTs -- that would be like water to my crops.

I love the 'rinth forever because of its scrappy, player driven energy. In effect, that is part of it's ethos. The only part of the game I've made a permanent-ish mark on is the 'rinth, due to my character's involvement in an insane and completely player-driven scene.

The super-crappy-'rinth-grade apartment idea is a better idea for how staff can support the 'rinth than more RPTs or clan content because it fits the existing player-driven ethos of the 'rinth. It would support scenes like you and rohenne imagine.

I would strongly recommend some kind of basic layout plan.
Rooms, secret exits, building location, maybe dummy up some descriptions.
Its a good proof of concept for a pitch and even if it never happens you have a cool piece of Arm apocrypha.