GMH/Noble Houses roles

Started by Dresan, June 11, 2020, 09:37:17 AM

Quote from: Blink on August 18, 2020, 12:18:26 PM
Quote from: Gentleboy on August 18, 2020, 10:12:17 AM

I think it's ridiculous honestly that the leaders of GMHs aren't on as often and it hurts everyone. When I was playing as a noble, I had to beg staff to get the hours of when to contact someone. And even then, they were only on once.

I get that real life happens, but, the choices of leaders lately has been poor due to their playtimes or just dropping off the map all together.

With my first (and probably last)  GMH leader I averaged about 25 hours a week.  A couple of weeks into the role, I started playing a lot in off-peak times just so that I could escape the constant harassment of nobles/templars and their aides.  There was a lot of other stuff to get done besides spending time with nobles -- like planning showings, deciding on items to show, researching stuff, keeping IG records, etc etc. and god forbid that I could do any character development and have my PC have a personal life.   While it may have been perfectly IC for the nobles to be demanding, it was not playable for me as a first time GMH leader.  I will never forget when a noble ordered my PC to give them an elaborate showing the next IG day (ie. in a RL hour) complete with refreshments and wouldn't take no for an answer. 

It's okay for nobles and templars to be rude and demanding and believe they are the only customer the merchant has.    It's not okay for their players to be that way.   :-\
It doesn't help that nobles/templars who feel slighted will then make it their only mission in life to aggro on your overburdened GMH leader.

Source: 10ish GMH leadership roles.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

I play off-peak, on peak and I played at a time when only two noble houses were open. I also have been making more of an effort in recent times to try and commission things as a commoner. Salarr always did me good. The players are wonderful.

I don't need much from Kurac usually.

I am not like in desperate need for items. I'm not hunting people down actively. I try to respect crafter roles especially playing them myself.

The issue of absences is not just with GMHs. But a lot with Allanak I think. And it's so empty, it's apparent when people haven't been about for awhile.

As far as GMH playtimes are concerned, I usually see burnout.

Nobody wants to play a role that has nothing to do but fill orders--and there was a time when GMH was far more than that. Now only Kurac is slightly more than that. All the GMH used to have specialized branches and cool roles you could fit into, and this is covered in another thread, but over the years it was all stripped away for the most part. Staff will admonish you for hiring anything beyond a crafter.

People talked about Tuluk. Back in the day, a Templar/Noble had incentive to not obliterate the GMH on the spot for petty shit, because that GMH would just start nuking their prices and go take their business to Tuluk. (The opposite is also true)

TLDR: Nobody wants to craft all day every time they log in.
          Removing Tuluk diminished the GMH role and their power significantly, at least for playability.

August 18, 2020, 01:55:05 PM #53 Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 03:00:48 PM by Barsook
I didn't know that is that the case. Do the Staff shooting down the idea?
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

August 18, 2020, 02:42:10 PM #54 Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 02:59:28 PM by Fredd
 This post removed because it got jumbled to all hell.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

I won't give out player information they may or may not wish shared. I will say each GMH leader (or any leader) is expected to meet a minimum of 10+ hours a week to hold the role. - All of them do so and then some, baring the odd RL blip that we all suffer.

FYI, Sandmaster is not a role that is supported. It was removed, as it was the equivalent of a backdoor hunting branch.

As to the rest, context would be required?

Random things done of late for the GMH folk/assist the role:

1) No more bulk ordering unless there is one very serious reason to do so. IE: No, you're not ordering "Everything House X has to view in a showing."
2) Partially (I have more work to do here) put out master lists to Salarr and Kadius to avoid the ceaseless headache of back and forth "What do you want", "Something orange?" order debacles.
3) Streamlined NPCs for order loading (This one is credit to Emme) so everything has it's own place/ease of find.
4) Minimum charges for certain things to even be done IC. => This may morph into a blanket House Rule that anyone wanting a showing, pays for that time and personal attention, if the abuse of these PCs continues. TBD.
5) Something you all will learn about IC, soon.
Nessalin: At night, I stand there and watch you sleep.  With a hammer in one hand and a candy cane in the other.  Judging.

August 18, 2020, 04:36:55 PM #56 Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 04:39:57 PM by Fredd
Quote from: Aruven on August 18, 2020, 01:41:02 PM

Nobody wants to play a role that has nothing to do but fill orders--and there was a time when GMH was far more than that. Now only Kurac is slightly more than that. All the GMH used to have specialized branches and cool roles you could fit into, and this is covered in another thread, but over the years it was all stripped away for the most part. Staff will admonish you for hiring anything beyond a crafter.

People talked about Tuluk. Back in the day, a Templar/Noble had incentive to not obliterate the GMH on the spot for petty shit, because that GMH would just start nuking their prices and go take their business to Tuluk. (The opposite is also true)

Removing Tuluk diminished the GMH role and their power significantly, at least for playability.

I have had a LOT of fun playing the two Kadians I have. And while yes, they filled TONS of orders. They also threw parties, had people assassinated, one had a rinthi breed whore lover when he was the Tuluk Kadian member. That was funny logistics. I've started an inner house war (this probably can't happened now that there is no Northern/ Southern branch to make a rivalry out of) Let's see. I've been ate and spat out by my argosy mek as a kadian, started a 'goldrush' for a specific rock, as a Kadian, I tried to start a secret society as a kadian but died....

There's a lot more you can do then fill orders...
Also, I suddenly want to play a Kadian again.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Quote from: Fredd on August 18, 2020, 04:36:55 PM

I have had a LOT of fun playing the two Kadians I have. And while yes, they filled TONS of orders. They also there parties, had people assassinated, one had a rinthi breed whore lover when he was the Tuluk Kadian member. That was funny logistics. I've started an inner house war (this probably can't happened now that there is no Northern/ Southern branch to make a rivalry out of) Let's see. I've been ate and spat out by my argosy mek as a kadian, started a 'goldrush' for a specific rock, as a Kadian, I tried to start a secret society as a kadian but died....

Frackin' love this post.

I've been staring at this thread, reading people who are lavished with multiple roles say, "GMH roles suck, this is why no one wants to play them! I know, staff me let me play these roles all the time and I hate it!!!" and I am just staring at my pile of rejected GMH role applications like some sad meme.

Cheers to you Fredd; every great GMH leader / any great leader get my kudos.
ARMAGEDDON SKILL PICKER THING: https://tristearmageddon.github.io/arma-guild-picker/
message me if something there needs an update.

Quote from: Shabago on August 18, 2020, 04:10:20 PM
FYI, Sandmaster is not a role that is supported. It was removed, as it was the equivalent of a backdoor hunting branch.

Why are there Sandmasters still around? Were they rebranded to more like mercs? Because it seems to be that way when I played my last Kuraci.

5) Something you all will learn about IC, soon.

Sweet! It better be plot hooks, because I want to be caught by those hooks.
Fredd-

I have had a LOT of fun playing the two Kadians I have. And while yes, they filled TONS of orders. They also threw parties, had people assassinated, one had a rinthi breed whore lover when he was the Tuluk Kadian member. That was funny logistics. I've started an inner house war (this probably can't happened now that there is no Northern/ Southern branch to make a rivalry out of) Let's see. I've been ate and spat out by my argosy mek as a kadian, started a 'goldrush' for a specific rock, as a Kadian, I tried to start a secret society as a kadian but died....

That's great for you, brother. Throwing some parties. You don't have to be a sponsored role to offer coins to kill someone. This is like low level bait to me honestly.

I encourage you and Triste to app Salarri or Kadians, and try them out, You should ask staff prior how many people have stored their roles in either house over the last 2-3 years first though. Trust me. My Salarri Kilaski was the funnest role i've ever played in the game. I thought a year or two ago it'd be great to jump back in. Its a fucking disaster, to put it lightly. Never been more frustrated or disappointed with a part of the game since tuluk closed.

I'm not trying to be negative to be negative.

The stuff Shabago posted is great. It makes streamlining orders pretty easy, and it might get rid of Templars stepping on your dick with less than 24 hours played.

The real crux is the stringent railroading of the clan arcs. The removal of all the exterior parts of each house that made it fun and appealing to play there. Kadius and Salarr almost dont have a playable place in the gameworld anymore, which is kinda where I suspect the staff would like to see those two end up sooner than later. Just my opinion.

Quote from: Aruven on August 18, 2020, 06:22:24 PM

That's great for you, brother. Throwing some parties. You don't have to be a sponsored role to offer coins to kill someone. This is like low level bait to me honestly.

I encourage you and Triste to app Salarri or Kadians, and try them out, You should ask staff prior how many people have stored their roles in either house over the last 2-3 years first though. Trust me. My Salarri Kilaski was the funnest role i've ever played in the game. I thought a year or two ago it'd be great to jump back in. Its a fucking disaster, to put it lightly. Never been more frustrated or disappointed with a part of the game since tuluk closed.

I will likely app a Kadian again after my current dies.

I will beat you to it. ;)
Fredd-

Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

I enjoyed my last GMH leader. Things I observed:

*In under a day, I was approached by almost every Noble and Templar about overdue orders from the previous family member.

*IC unreasonableness was acceptable, and my PC rolled with the punches, politicking and otherwise ameliorating hurt feelings.

*Eventually, IC unreasonableness turned into OOC unreasonableness. No Master Crafters were available to make 'X Item', and after an item was made that the PC found unacceptable (literally what they ordered), they turned to leveling threats against my PC and all other PC underlings.

*All of this being said, I had a great time. I regularly made trips to Luirs and back, tried to facilitate plots between the Houses, sat at council, got into some deep heavy PLOTS, and engaged in MCB. Spent time writing some journals, wrote some letters, made some designs on paper. Ordered posh clothing, but just what Kadius had in stock, not what I needed to invent out of thin air.

In general, I think that Nobles and Templars need to ease up on the 'Get Cool Custom X' and the fallout around not getting them in a timely manner plot lines.

Some things to note about custom crafts:

*It's often not up to a GMH Leadership PC where/when/whether or not a master craft can be made. If they cannot master craft in that field, and do not have any master crafters in that field, they usually cannot make it appear out of thin air. Yes, there is an entire GMH behind them, but I've found Staff aren't interested in writing up fancy custom items simply because a PC wants it to materialize, particularly if that PC doesn't have the skill to make it themselves.

*Master Crafts are constrained by OOC systems, not IC systems. They can only be put in once every 30 days. If the item isn't to that PC's liking, they have to use another master craft slot (I've found) to adjust it and make changes.

*The Custom Craft system is rather backwards. Client A, who knows nothing about how clothing/weapons/whatever is made, comes up with some well researched fanciful design out of thin air, and expects GMH Master Crafter B to not only agree with their design, but make it exactly as they think it up. If the item is not to their standards or their liking, they blame the crafter rather than themselves. I liken it to eating at a 'Make your own Burger' joint. If you order 1/3 patty of raw meat, add a hardboiled egg to it, blue cheese dressing, and a pineapple, is it the line chef's fault for it being disgusting, or yours?

Realistically, Client A should approach GMH Master Crafter B about a concept. Something like this. Maybe with this flair. Oh, and a ruby somewhere, maybe the pommel/the neckline of the shirt. And trust that this House that has been outfitting soldiers, Nobles, Templars, and everything in between for over 300 years, might know what they are doing and will come up with something suitable. Typically master crafters become known for their style/panache, make a name for themselves, and people want the 'thing that they make'. I can't imagine going into a custom furniture crafter who charges say $10,000 for a table, and tell them how to make it.

*Though custom crafts are cool, plots are way cooler. Custom craft some plots, instead of custom craft bling. There are plenty of items in the game that are both unique and well written. There's no need to muddy the water with more 'Super Special Templar Sword #102', particularly if that sword isn't being used for anything but show.

August 18, 2020, 11:27:55 PM #65 Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 11:38:37 PM by triste
I just want to say the insight from everyone here is great and appreciated. It does paint a helpful picture about how one can get leadership roles and thrive in them.

As alluded to in this thread, one of the most desired things in leaders is playtimes: multiple players and staffers have stated this.

I often whine about applying for and not getting GMH roles, but I also own up that it is fair that I don't get these roles given the above criteria: I can only play, at max, six hours a week. Asking me to play a minimum of 10 hours is a lot.

I just want to say, as a side note, that I really appreciate that those "Other Roles" alluded to in the title of IsFriday's spinoff thread exist, and I appreciate his stats. Those roles, like Gladiators and villain types, happen to be more spicy and more my style anyway. Please continue to offer roles like these for filthy casuals like me! At least so long as casuals aren't allowed to play leader or GMH roles.
ARMAGEDDON SKILL PICKER THING: https://tristearmageddon.github.io/arma-guild-picker/
message me if something there needs an update.

For a noble/Templar custom item, 2-3 years is entirely reasonable, given technology levels.  Expecting something this week, or even this month, is unreasonable.

If you pass a very detailed design to someone else to MC, it better be done IC'ly.  It isn't your MC to make, even if you are ordering the item.  We have had to address issues with folks passing along exact descriptions by OOC means, in terms of exactly what they want.  This is not acceptable behaviour.

The more fancy or fanciful the item MC'd, the longer we are going to take to approve it, most likely.  This will probably disproportionately affect Noble/Templar orders, so players of those roles should expect it.  1-2 RL months for such a MC is not uncommon.

I don't even want custom items. I just want something that is sitting around in the warehouse half the time.

But I dunno, getting a hold of a trainee/merchant is damn hard these days. And it's a vicious cycle.

Merchant isn't on? Log off. Noble isn't on? Log off.

It doesn't leave much room for commoners with money to do their thing. There's such a focus on the connection of noble of GMH, which I understand cause more coin. But how many of us have PCs just sitting on thousands of coin?

The economy is a fickle bitch. People wear the same armor for years, have the same clothes for years. Just wear armor 24/7.. it's odd. There's no demand from a majority of the playerbase (I could be wrong). Merchants feel like a role that caters to nobles or recruits. They barsit and way nobles a ton, yeah, but I feel like the GMHs don't expect non-nobles to need/want anything. And maybe that's a little bit of our own faults too.

I wrote this on 1 hour of sleep, sorry if jambled.

August 19, 2020, 01:32:11 PM #68 Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 01:34:29 PM by Decameron
Quote from: Gentleboy on August 19, 2020, 03:46:48 AM

The economy is a fickle bitch. People wear the same armor for years, have the same clothes for years. Just wear armor 24/7.. it's odd. There's no demand from a majority of the playerbase (I could be wrong). Merchants feel like a role that caters to nobles or recruits. They barsit and way nobles a ton, yeah, but I feel like the GMHs don't expect non-nobles to need/want anything. And maybe that's a little bit of our own faults too.

My experience had been quite different when I played one. Typically, I wouldn't sit around spending all my time waying Nobles. I would, however, get an enormous amount of ways from commoner clients wanting 'a [item].' A 'good [item]'. Or "a big [item]". Which tends to lead to having the same conversation multiple times a day. The amount of volume can certainly be crippling.

I wouldn't be worried about giving leaders in GMH more to do unless they are seeking it. I feel like most players aren't enjoying the role or storing on it 'because they are bored and don't have anything to do', it's because it's a thankless job that often leaves very little room to provide your own character any sense of growth unless you're willing to dedicate a good portion of your OOC day to handling duties first, and then having a character.

Quote from: Decameron on August 19, 2020, 01:32:11 PM
Quote from: Gentleboy on August 19, 2020, 03:46:48 AM

My experience had been quite different when I played one. Typically, I wouldn't sit around spending all my time waying Nobles. I would, however, get an enormous amount of ways from commoner clients wanting 'a [item].' A 'good [item]'. Or "a big [item]". Which tends to lead to having the same conversation multiple times a day. The amount of volume can certainly be crippling.

I wouldn't be worried about giving leaders in GMH more to do unless they are seeking it. I feel like most players aren't enjoying the role or storing on it 'because they are bored and don't have anything to do', it's because it's a thankless job that often leaves very little room to provide your own character any sense of growth unless you're willing to dedicate a good portion of your OOC day to handling duties first, and then having a character.

I think this is why I was able to enjoy my Kadians. As a disabled veteran, I can play all day, if I choose to. So it kept me busy when I would otherwise be bored.

Noble isn't on? Yay!

Templar isn't on? Yay!

Barrier and scheme to hire crimson wind to ambush the wagon of another GMH.