Content and creation

Started by Shabago, May 13, 2020, 10:10:08 AM

Thanks for all the details, I rarely go linkdead [or log in at all really] and didn't know.

Lairos's proposal seems most optimal then. Just automate what staff are doing manually currently -- sending messages to people to say "Sorry that person is linkdead."

Given there are already mechanisms like what Mansa posted it should be easy to do!
ARMAGEDDON SKILL PICKER THING: https://tristearmageddon.github.io/arma-guild-picker/
message me if something there needs an update.

Some of us live in regions where the hellscape of winter can take out power and access to the internet for days at a time. Stop assuming every single person has immediate instant access to the internet and that it's their fault if they go linkdead.

Huh. I've gotten staff to log out linkdead players many times in the past. Lots. It just takes a quick wish generally. Maybe policies have changed, but I don't know why they would have.

wish all Dudeface is linkdead at the span, can you purge him please?

I'll pull up the logs where staff refused to log a player off when I am done with work if someone wants them. It was actually the subject of a staff complaint. Point being their policy on this is variable. Therefore all the people asking for an automated solution to linkdead players are in the right; policies with variable enforcement are not good policies and are best remedied by automation. The voicemail idea raises concerns but the other ideas are good here.
ARMAGEDDON SKILL PICKER THING: https://tristearmageddon.github.io/arma-guild-picker/

As a busy person I have been in favor of the voicemail idea in the past but LindseyBalboa is right that it kills roleplay opportunities.

I guess it's not policy or such, but usually when I send a psi to a LD character (and it seems somewhat important), I think Staff gets notified that it's to a LD player, they'll sometimes send me a message and say 'That person is LD' and then log them off, or just log them off without sending a message. Maybe that doesn't happen as much anymore or it's not official, but enough that I've noticed it as a trend in the past at least.

I also don't think people go LD on purpose for the most part. In my case it's when I'm logging in while it's business hours, and my client disconnects me after not being active for like 2 minutes. Just as well my internet goes out sometimes for an hour or two on end. I think people for the most part try to log off when they can, if not, I'm not aware of the reasons why they would willingly be LD.

See a LD player.. Wish up, staff are there for that kinda thing IMO

Going linkdead is not always preventable. I am sorry, but if my computer literally blows out a puff of smoke, and ceases to work (actually happened once to me, mid game. Not armageddon, but same point.), my first priority is unfortunately not really if I logged out of the game I was playing, but more among the lines of "What in the unholy Krath just happened to my PC?"
In any case, it would be cool if there was some sort of way to at least tell the other side that the person is linkdead :)
Try to be the gem in each other's shit.

I have found the mobile phone app "MudRammer" useful for getting back in to Arm to deal with a linkdead pc.  It is for iphone, but there are other free mud client apps for both types of phones.
Its the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fiiiiiine.