Helmets, Helmets Everywhere

Started by Erythil, May 13, 2020, 04:08:25 AM

A ton of NPCs that previously had sdescs are now mysterious helmet-people.

I would suggest that there might be an unforeseen consequence of the (largely fine) new helmet code: a lot of door guards and the like that use scan to look for sneakies are currently blinder than they should be.  It's possible NPCs are already immune to the penalty but I thought I'd break it up.

Either certain very popular helmets like the black chitin helmet should perhaps be modified to be visorless, or there should be a way for such common helmets to be visor-up by default, so that the plethora of guard NPCs wearing them don't all blind themselves. My two sids.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

May 13, 2020, 10:24:48 AM #2 Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 10:30:31 AM by Oryx
In the case of door guards and door mercenaries, but also templars if I haven't caught them all, could you please bug these NPCs when you see them? That makes it easier for me to find them. Thank you.

Edited to add:
There have also been a few reported instances of helmets interfering with long descriptions some NPCs had, particularly that were telling as to their job - such as tattoo artists. If you bug these when you notice them, that would also be a help.

pls no visor on the ravishing, raven haired templar kthnx
<Maso> I thought you were like...a real sweet lady.

Quote from: Brytta Léofa on May 13, 2020, 12:43:42 PM
pls no visor on the ravishing, raven haired templar kthnx
Seconded!!
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

May 13, 2020, 09:58:22 PM #6 Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 11:14:06 PM by X-D
Is it a bug or feature when it says that having it down makes it harder to sneak?

I find that one rather odd.

Bah, still get it, just at a different time...what gives?

A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Does having the visor down increase your armor? It may be nice to have a help file for helmets in general, that describes the +/- of having one with a visor, even vaguely. "May affect some skills relying on perceiving your surroundings. Adds additional armor when the visor is down."

Sneak is all about paying attention to your surroundings.  Line of sight, places to hide, which direction somebodies head is pointing.  where to put your feet so you are not making noise, etc. . .

I can understand lower helmets impacting vision, hearing and even sneaking.

However, not many helmets are designed for stealth. So the few that are should be exempt.