Sharpening vs Honing tools?

Started by Miko, April 18, 2020, 10:23:30 PM

I am just going to quote the ask the staff question that went unanswered a year ago:

What is the distinction? I find it to be elusively subtle. Could you provide an example of a tool that does the latter instead of the former? Especially since I have one which states upon being assessed that it's useful in sharpening but actually works only with "requires a honing" crafts. Thanks.

Ha!  This is my question too!  I've been trying to find a 'sharpening' tool for a month - I was going to write a request hoping for an example if what sort of thing it might be if I didn't find it by the end of April!

Count me in as a +1 on this...enquiring minds need a hint!
Previous of note: Kaevya the blind Tor Scorpion, Kaloraynai 'Raynai' the beetle Ruk, Korenyire of SLK, Koal 'Kick' the hooved Whiran, Kocadici/Dici/Glimmer, Koefaxine the giant Oashi 'Aide', Kosmia 'Grit' the rinthi
Current: Like I'd tell you.

I have run into issues like this in the past, and it is indeed very unclear regarding what you can use versus what appears to be required. I can only say to try every tool you can get your hands on if it sounds even similar to what you're looking for. And remember that if an item REQUIRES the usage of a tool in its crafting recipe, you don't need to hold it, it can be in your inventory or even on the floor.

Tool usage is a nebulous area though, and one you're not likely to get specific answers for, because like the rest of crafting, you are expected to experiment and discover in game.

Quote from: Miko on April 18, 2020, 10:23:30 PM
I am just going to quote the ask the staff question that went unanswered a year ago:

What is the distinction? I find it to be elusively subtle. Could you provide an example of a tool that does the latter instead of the former? Especially since I have one which states upon being assessed that it's useful in sharpening but actually works only with "requires a honing" crafts. Thanks.

Honing tools are typically things like whetstones, which when you 'assess' them say they're useful in sharpening blades. (Confusing, yes.) And usually give a bonus to (certain?) knifemaking and swordmaking rolls, while also being a requirement for those same recipes.

Sharpening tools are typically things like elaborate toolkits with weird recipes, and an assortment of chisels/rasps/whetstones/whatever. And seem to give a bonus to most weaponmaking rolls, while also being a requirement to making certain fancy blades and other items. Supposedly most are bound to the clans that made them, but there's a few "accessible" indie-craft ones.