suggestion: allow self whisper while passed out drunk

Started by Lotion, April 06, 2020, 11:28:38 PM

You might be using a language some others can't understand and somewhere in the docs I remember that you're not supposed to talk through emote because that bypasses the language check.

If you're passed out...you're unconscious.  So shouldn't be talking.

At best, you could do something like...
Quoteemote Lips spluttering, @ mumbles incoherently.
think OMG, I'm sooooooooooooooo drunk!
(adjust to taste...)
Previous of note: Kaevya the blind Tor Scorpion, Kaloraynai 'Raynai' the beetle Ruk, Korenyire of SLK, Koal 'Kick' the hooved Whiran, Kocadici/Dici/Glimmer, Koefaxine the giant Oashi 'Aide', Kosmia 'Grit' the rinthi
Current: Like I'd tell you.

Sleeptalking and mumbling to yourself in your sleep are both things people do.

Agreed...but sleeping is different to unconscious.
Previous of note: Kaevya the blind Tor Scorpion, Kaloraynai 'Raynai' the beetle Ruk, Korenyire of SLK, Koal 'Kick' the hooved Whiran, Kocadici/Dici/Glimmer, Koefaxine the giant Oashi 'Aide', Kosmia 'Grit' the rinthi

Quote from: Lotion on April 07, 2020, 12:52:13 AM
Sleeptalking and mumbling to yourself in your sleep are both things people do.

You're right, they do but we don't actually know what we're saying.  For realism sake I'd say have an in between wake and unconsciousness, like a twilight where we could use the talk say or whisper commands but they'd come out as incoherent mumbles depending on how close to passing out you are. During that twilight you should also be able to hear people talking around you, maybe pick out a word or two out of the mumbling.

I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Perhaps reduce total skill in languages as you get close to totally plastered.

Was going to say, there is already code to 'not understand language', that it could fairly easily grab from.  Reducing language skill would work.

The negative is easy to pick out, that a player could choose to have their character incoherently mumble something or give away a topical verbal clue or unbelievable interaction to the scene at hand.

What benefit comes from this change that would enhance roleplay beyond what "emote mumbles incoherently as he lays on the ground, twitching a little." does already?
Fallow Maks For New Elf Sorc ERP:
sad
some of y'all have cringy as fuck signatures to your forum posts

If you are passed out, drunk, you can't talk. You're passed out.

If you're RPing being drunk but still 'conscious', use whisper me. If someone has the language and listen, they have a chance to overhear what you are mumbling.

If you need to say something, but are trying to be coded asleep (for reasons), just wake up, whisper self, and go back to sleep.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Of course you can roleplay and emote it but what is code there for if not to enhance the roleplay? We didn't have whisper self previously.  The drunk code SUCKS on movement but does nothing for speech? An in between wake and unconsciousness middle would do wonders for realism and immersion I think.  Sometimes we just need something to teach us how to roleplay with more realism.

I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Quote from: ShaLeah on April 09, 2020, 10:55:59 PM
The drunk code SUCKS on movement but does nothing for speech?

afiak, the drunk code does slur your character's speech. However, the slurring is not echoed to the drunk character's player...only other players can see it.

Quote from: number13 on May 07, 2020, 12:40:27 AM

afiak, the drunk code does slur your character's speech. However, the slurring is not echoed to the drunk character's player...only other players can see it.
This is possibly a case of players being good at roleplaying drunkenness and you not realizing it's not coded.

Sleep talking is a thing and I'd love to make it so that a character can expose a vulnerability but in a way so that you have to know the right language and also have good enough listen.

Quote from: number13 on May 07, 2020, 12:40:27 AM

Quote from: Hauwke on May 07, 2020, 12:52:46 AM
I've never experienced or noticed that.

I think I noticed it only once.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Why not make it so if someone 'thinks' while they are passed out and intoxicated, they might say it out loud?