Banding together

Started by Anonymous, November 04, 2003, 01:29:33 AM

This is sort of a funky idea, but I just wanted to toss it out there.

In the game there are single NPCs that are listed as being 'a unit of x'.  These units are normally fantastically buff, so buff that taking them on mano e unito is suicide.

My thought here is to create a command called band <target> which will, effectively, make a similar unit out of a number of PCs.  It would all be done with smoke and mirrors though.  Each attack from a 'unit' type PC (this would probably require a flag on that unit if it wasn't already the case) that is successfully landed against any member of the 'banded' would be split up into a random number of damage amounts that would then be randomly assigned to the members of the unit as a whole.

So, let's say Joe is here and he types band Jack.  Now Joe and Jack are a banded unit.  They come up against a unit of Allanaki soldiers and get a quick hit for 100 total points of damage in round one.  That damage is divided by the code into 3 portions of 26, 43 and 31.  Then it is randomly assigned.  Since its a small group Joe gets 26 points of damage, but Jack gets hit with 74.  Uh oh.  Next round Jack gets done in and Joe quickly follows.  This to me would realistically represent the situation for an undermanned squad going up against a complete unit.

Now, let's say Joe and Jack were smarter than that and they got a much larger group together of say, 10 PCs.  Now you have a much greater chance of lasting more than a few rounds while you and your gang strike back against the unit.  People are going to get banged up, but not gang banged.

Also the other members of a banded unit would automatically assist a member who was in combat at any time they become unengaged.

Obviously it would call upon good IC leadership to organize this so that you don't have multiple members all attacking different units and undermining the process.

The flip side would be that the 'banding' process would give no benefit when facing NPCs that weren't flagged as a 'unit'.  So you could band up all you wanted against a bahamet, but it wouldn't matter.  Someone is going to get fucked.  Proper fucked.

The great thing about that is that it prevents one guy from getting gang raped by 30 bufffed npc's at once.....

I like it! :P
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

Hmmm sounds interesting the only problem is that its kinda unrealistic because if there were 6 pcs taking on a half-giant with a club, and he bashes the shit out of one dood then all the others get the damage, see my point?

The code already pretty much does this, if you're in groups. The only differences are that you don't get the complication of having to somehow create a 'unit' of PC's. There isn't a random 'attack', to hit multiple opponents, however using the 'change' command, a victim of a mob can very easily switch the opponent they are working on, to someone else. You can also target -anyone- in the room with a 'kick', 'bash' or other similar type command, so you can spread damage out very easily that way.

Assuming you live long enough, getting ganked by 3+ PCs.

-Tlaloc
Tlaloc
Legend

Tlaloc - I'm not addressing multiple PCs or NPCs here, but the individual 'unit of allanaki soldiers' NPCs which can absolutely demolish even the buffest PC singlehandedly.

Its at that point in a large battle when whether or not you are with your buddies back to back fighting against the hord that it doesn't matter.  You are still going to have a entire unit of half-giant soldiers all attacking you.  It was an idea to level the playing field for those specific situations when you go up against a single NPC representing dozens or more NPCs.

I personally wouldn't like to see a BAND of NPCs going up against PCs. It's really kind of fucked up. But thats just me.

This could be solved by having things alittle more realistic in the first place. Have an acctually group of five-ten NPCs coded specifically to work together. Least there'd be some chance instead of just one attack dealing out 100+ damage.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

First off, I like the band idea. It is somewhat simular to an idea I was batting around with Quirk and Creeper. I am all for it.

Secondly, there are PCs who can take on entire units. Believe me. I did it, and won. Boy, it feels good.  :twisted:
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870