Leather for breakfast?

Started by Tamarin, November 04, 2003, 01:14:26 AM

Anyone ever notice that "cuirbouilli" translates into french as "boiled leather"??  Strange, eh?
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Not to make it nice to eat, mind you.

Boiling the leather (in wax) makes it stiffer and a better armor.

I know all this...I just think its funny how latin languages were borrowed for this game...or darksun, or whateverthehellitsfrom.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Well... Considering thats the acctually name of RL armour... It's make little since to call it flibjke or what have you. In game it may really be called something different. In sirihish or whatever language it is in it certainly would be different, but we speak English therefore everything has to be translated to English.

A rose by any other name would smell just as sweet... That doesn't mean you go around saying it's a daisy.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

I sure hope cuirbolli is semi-rare or pretty powerful. I dunno how people would waste water just to make armour ;)

Who says it was boiled in water?   There's lots of undrinkable liquids that can come to a boil.

heh

ewwwwwwwwwwwwww. No wonder my armour smells like piss

Hey.  I'll have you know - my flibjke armour is damned good, thank you very much.
ife, like a dome of many-coloured glass,
Stains the white radiance of eternity.
 --Percy Bysshe Shelley

Quote from: "John"heh

ewwwwwwwwwwwwww. No wonder my armour smells like piss

You should look up the tanning process on the web, John. What Arm implemented as "tanning" is just one tiny part of the process.

Add a huge vat of horse-piss and bat guano, and you have the beginning of a tanning workshop. And no, I ain't kidding. Tanned leather makes use of some pretty nasty stuff to bring it from sinew-and-flesh-encrusted raw hide to finely tanned leather.

Also, leather is clearly a lunch food.