Thanks, and a bug/code comment

Started by Anonymous, November 03, 2003, 01:05:13 PM

First, thanks to the imm who pardoned me. I was writing a note to mud to explain why I was sitting there doing nothing, waiting for the crimflag to wear off, when "someone" pardoned me of the "crime."

Second, without giving out mechanics info, I think I now understand (maybe) what either "Alone" or "Cuttlefish" or someone was talking about with their frustration regarding selling something to a shop and getting crimflagged.

I BOUGHT something from a shop..that looked interesting. It was bloody, so I figured maybe I could find out if it was worth even more than that after I cleaned it. So I cleaned it, and "offered" it back to the shop.

Well the merchant offered to buy it alright. RIGHT after he said it was a special item and I was now wanted.

I had VIEWed the item on the merchant list. It showed no indication of being the property of any particular clan.

I had assess -v'ed the item, and it showed no special mark indicating it was the property of any particular clan.

I didnt try to offer it back to the merchant who sold it to me until after I did both of those things.

It looks like there's a couple of different bugs going on here. First, the omission of at least -some- indication that it's a special item belonging to a certain clan. Either on assess -v or within the main description, a sigil, or a mark, something.

The second is if Salarr knows that it's special and illegal for me to sell them, then they should also know that it's illegal for them to buy from whoever sold it to them in the first place.

In otherwords, the item shouldn't have appeared on the list, and the merchant should've refused to buy it.

I did bug it. I'm posting here just to say that yeah this does happen, though I wouldn't have believed it til it happened to me.

I'm also posting to thank whichever IMM was so quick to handle it and for embarrassing the hell out of me when I scolded the wrong NPC for selling it to me.

You people are great! I can't say it enough!

Wasn't me.  Luckily, that's never happened to me.  I'd say that is a real bug, though.  The only person I saw posting about something similar was when he claimed he was given his sword back.  Don't know if that was ever sorted out.

I wonder, does the merchant code just look at the merchants inventory and create a sell list out of that?  If so, could you just "give" a merchant any item and it would show up on his list?

Just curious.

I don't think the "list" is actually the merchant's inventory like a PC's inventory is. I think it's a special code snippet. Either that or some of those merchant NPCs have amazing uber leet strength and encumbrance, to be carrying so much shit in their inventories :)

Quote from: "Bestatte"I don't think the "list" is actually the merchant's inventory like a PC's inventory is. I think it's a special code snippet. Either that or some of those merchant NPCs have amazing uber leet strength and encumbrance, to be carrying so much shit in their inventories :)

That's why the House agents get their shop and don't go anywhere, they're too encumbered to move :P