A way to make elementalists scary

Started by Eyeball, August 01, 2019, 09:45:03 PM

August 15, 2019, 08:02:57 PM #75 Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 08:05:21 PM by Brokkr
Quote from: Riev on August 15, 2019, 07:50:26 PM
If you piss off a gemmed at the Gaj

Quote from: Brokkr on August 09, 2019, 05:57:53 PM
Sometimes I wonder if folks perception is colored by whether they play primarily inside or outside of cities.

We've made some places safer, by design, than others.  That isn't a flaw, that is working as intended.  If your yardstick is the Gaj, then no one except a Templar or AoD or [censored] is scary.

If you are saying mages were once scary when I was sitting in the Gaj and now they aren't, that has very little to do with magickers and subclasses and everything to do with http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,47646.msg831573.html#msg831573

Quote from: Riev on August 15, 2019, 07:59:34 PM
Which, I think is the point of this thread. A way to remind everyone and reinforce that elementalists are, in fact, scary.

Stop RP-shaming people because they aren't as immersed or deep into the world/characters as you are. We're all here for different reasons.

I am simply stating facts which you seem to be taking as "RP-shaming" whatever that is. Holding players accountable is what makes a player base strong and helps people improve, nothing wrong with correcting players or reminding them of the virtual game world.

Quote from: Brokkr on August 15, 2019, 08:02:57 PM
Quote from: Riev on August 15, 2019, 07:50:26 PM
If you piss off a gemmed at the Gaj

Quote from: Brokkr on August 09, 2019, 05:57:53 PM
Sometimes I wonder if folks perception is colored by whether they play primarily inside or outside of cities.

We've made some places safer, by design, than others.  That isn't a flaw, that is working as intended.  If your yardstick is the Gaj, then no one except a Templar or AoD or [censored] is scary.

You severely overestimate how safe people are at the Gaj

I just take into account player behaviour, and that those who could do something most often don't, unless they feel they have a decent chance to escape retribution.

yeah that guy died, which basically further proves the point Brokkr makes.

but also, yeah, the Gaj is incredibly fucking scary, if you've played long enough to see things go down there.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

It doesn't make sense for every character to be completely afraid of magick, but it does for the majority.  I have had characters that hate magick that won't be around it, or around anything associated with that kind of abomination.  I have had characters that tolerate it, but are afraid of it or that are afraid of it, but give the people a chance.   Not every character you make that is mundane has to be completely terrified of majick.  It should depend on you original background, your pc experiences though out actual play. Were those experiences positive or negative?   If you are in Kurac you might not have a complete disdain for Breeds for example, but if you are AOD, you probably hate breeds, just another sharp really.  Is magick codedly scary, even in sub-guilds Ayyyy, there are a hand full of spells that will one shot the majority of the player base in a solo if they are prepared, there are others that are worse than that.  Should you roleplay a healthy fear of witches, yeah, but it should depend on where you are from and what your experiences are with it to an extent.   If you make a freshy Allanak hunter thats 20 and his dad taught him to hunt and you have no experience with magick other than the superstitions then yeah, you should probably rp that fear.  If you are a guard for house Oash and have worked there for five years, your attitude is likely going to be different.
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

August 19, 2019, 11:42:15 AM #82 Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 11:49:08 AM by gotdamnmiracle
Would it be possible to have room effects similar to the sawdust effect with certain crafted goods that result from the repeated use of certain spell types?

What I'm asking is would it be reasonable to, if enough viv spells were cast in a certain location, a thin short-lived fog covers the ground. And etc for each other type of caster. This would dissuade holing up and spamcasting and allow other players to react to the room effects with out said caster present.

I'm sure you guys are creative enough to come up with other room effects specific to each caster type.

Edit: And I'm not saying that there be scary coded effects or anything. I just want a teensy bit of extra rope to RP around.
He is an individual cool cat. A cat who has taken more than nine lives.

Quote from: gotdamnmiracle on August 19, 2019, 11:42:15 AM
Would it be possible to have room effects similar to the sawdust effect with certain crafted goods that result from the repeated use of certain spell types?

What I'm asking is would it be reasonable to, if enough viv spells were cast in a certain location, a thin short-lived fog covers the ground. And etc for each other type of caster. This would dissuade holing up and spamcasting and allow other players to react to the room effects with out said caster present.

I'm sure you guys are creative enough to come up with other room effects specific to each caster type.

Edit: And I'm not saying that there be scary coded effects or anything. I just want a teensy bit of extra rope to RP around.

These are the kind of ideas I like to see. Would love this.

Quote from: kahuna on August 19, 2019, 12:10:00 PM
Quote from: gotdamnmiracle on August 19, 2019, 11:42:15 AM

Dis gud.

These are the kind of ideas I like to see. Would love this.
Alea iacta est

Something like this:

Casting 2+ times?
krath:
The ground is burnt and blackened from heat.

viv:
The ground is wet and unnaturally damp.

ruk:
The earth has shifted unnaturally here with several cracks.

wind:
The ground has a large open wind chasm here.

Just a few ideas for what messages we could see.

I was thinking more like 10+ casts in the same room over the last day, but essentially yes.

And I like fog for viv just because of how unnatural that would be on Zalanthas. You could also mention humidity. "The air here is uncomfortably sticky with humidity."

For krathis, if it's an outdoor room you'd get something like "Suk-Krath seems to peer directly through the hazy clouds above, sending wavy shimmers of heat in all directions."

I like your Rukkian one.

And whira coulybe something as innocuous as "The winds here feel surprisingly unruly and undecided, tugging at your clothing from one direction this moment and another the next".

Nilaz could be about how unusually  temperate (and cold even) the space feels (think the Langoliers like how everything is tasteless and lifeless). And drovI think would have to play on shade, but not that it's a restful shade, but almost feels like it is dark for dark's sake, etc. these can be tweaked obviously to be more or less intense and several iterations would be best.
He is an individual cool cat. A cat who has taken more than nine lives.