getting a job/tribe

Started by Alone, October 31, 2003, 08:12:05 PM

Im a half-elf codewise but im ic a full blooded elf wich brings me too a problem, if I join a elven tribe I wont be able to do some elven things such as running for long distances codewise, and ill slow everyone in my tribe down, besides that I dont even know how to get into a tribe since your "born" into one, and I cant get a job because im an elf and elves are rarely employed apparently so what can I do am I screwed?.

That sounds like something for Staff to determine. I'm not sure it's considered "kosher" to pick a race for your character and then have the background be a different race.

That would be like me picking a half-giant and RPing my character as a human, and I personally don't think that's appropriate.

Regardless, if your character is not capable of being in a desert tribe (for whatever reason) then you should probably seek some city type of job. Perhaps one of the criminal clans, which you can find in the clan documents.

IC you are not a full-blooded elf. IC you are a half-elf that thinks he or she is a full blooded elf. You are right, almost nobody hires elves, and you are also right, that you need to be born into a tribe. However, there are many ways to make coin, and there is plenty fun to have. My suggestion: make some enemies. Sure, you -could- make yourself some friends, join a clan, or blah blah blah.. But trust me, its so much more fun for everyone involved if you make some bitter enemies. Go rip someone off. Go insult a well-dressed commoner. Piss on a tavern floor. It'll be a hoot. I promise.

Quote from: "Alone"Im a half-elf codewise but im ic a full blooded elf

Why didn't you choose elf at character creation then?  Did you make a mistake and press the wrong button?  If you'd rather not say it on the board, you can PM me with more information, since I'm a helper after all.  If it was an accident, then you should probably write to the staff so you can be turned into an elf, presto-chango.  If you chose half-elf even though you wanted to RP an elf, then all I can do is suggest that you spend more time thinking about what you're doing and why, as I see no reason why you should have done that.

Quote from: "Alone"wich brings me too a problem, if I join a elven tribe I wont be able to do some elven things such as running for long distances codewise, and ill slow everyone in my tribe down, besides that I dont even know how to get into a tribe since your "born" into one, and I cant get a job because im an elf and elves are rarely employed apparently so what can I do am I screwed?.

You cannot join a tribe after character creation.  If you want to do it with another character, then here are some helpful links.

http://www.armageddon.org/ic/
http://www.armageddon.org/ic/tribal.html

To join a tribe BEFORE creating a character, you can do a number of things.  Check out the first link and E-mail an immortal in charge of a staff supported tribe.  Check out the second link and create a character in a non supported tribe.  This is easier, and if you do a little work, you might even be able to find out if there are other people playing in these tribes currently, which does happen every so often.  If not, you can put a call on the GDB, or IM all your buddies and get them to make characters with that tribe in their background.  However, all of this is generally how you join a desert elf tribe.  In my experience, there is less PC interest for city elf tribes.

As for getting a job... well damn, there was another n00b who was just asking about that.  Read that post, I'm done typing!
Back from a long retirement

There are a couple pieces of bad advice that need to be fixed, I think.

First, it is possible to join tribes that you are not born into, however, they may be difficult to run and are often player run versus imm-sponsored tribes.

Secondly it's perfectly fine to choose a half-elf race and RP an elf who doesn't know his half-blood or who is trying to hide it and pass as an elf (likewise as human).

And exactly what you suggested would happen - you would begin to slow down the rest of the tribe and as they begin to suspect your half-blood, suddenly you're thrust into an interesting and perhaps deadly RP.

It's all good. Run with it, bro.
 taste the sands.
I smell my death.
Is that the Mantis head?
Oh, fek!

It depends, witchman.

If he picked the half-elf race, and his sdesc and character background shows that he is clearly an elf..such as

the green-eyed elf

with a background:

This elf was born in the city, his mother was an elven thief, his father was an elven ranger...

then I'd say he needs to get his coded race changed.

If he doesn't need to get his coded race changed, then I'm gonna roll up a dwarf next time and give it hair, and call it a human, and be one bad-ass mutha-fukkin club-wielding boot-kicking human warrior dood.

Or maybe I'll make that desert human I always wanted - roll up a coded elf, toss the pointed ears and the angular features, and make her a F-me PC human ranger according to her description and background.

The point is, the code is designed to support the roleplay. If you have no intention of BEING a half-elf, you shouldn't create one.

If he is, as suggested, just playing a half-elf who THINKS he's an elf, or is trying to pass himself off as an elf (but knows full well that he's just a scum-sucking breed) then all's well and good.

Bestatte,
You're arguing apples and oranges.
There is never a confusion between dwarf and half-dwarf.

And if in his background he mentions a father and mother that are both elvish and has picked a race of hal-elf, then I believe the staff would have caught it.

That probably not being the case, the point is mute.

If the player accidently selected half-elf but the background is still valid for that race, I say play with it.

Regardless, to tell someone that something possible is impossible (joining a tribe after creation) or that one can not pass as an elf if one is a half-elf is limiting and just plan wrong.
 taste the sands.
I smell my death.
Is that the Mantis head?
Oh, fek!

Quote from: "witchman"First, it is possible to join tribes that you are not born into, however, they may be difficult to run and are often player run versus imm-sponsored tribes.

Yes.  But I don't think we should lead anybody to believe that it's at all likely, because it isn't as far as elven tribes are concerned.  And if it IS happening a lot, then it most definitely shouldn't be.

Evil Roe Salad.  Who has posted a record-breaking four times tonight.
Back from a long retirement

Duh. Read the racial helpfiles, Bestatte.

Quoteegardless of these attributes, however, half-elves can virtually always pass for either humans or elves, and share the skin tones and hair-and-eye colours of both parents.

True, maybe he should get some suspicious looks, but not all elves are the same, anyway. He can pass for a full elf if he feels like it. Read the docs before posting.

As for the tribes... something to pursue IC. You'd slow the tribe down, also IC.

Quote from: "Anonymous"Duh. Read the racial helpfiles, Bestatte.

Quoteegardless of these attributes, however, half-elves can virtually always pass for either humans or elves, and share the skin tones and hair-and-eye colours of both parents.

True, maybe he should get some suspicious looks, but not all elves are the same, anyway. He can pass for a full elf if he feels like it. Read the docs before posting.

As for the tribes... something to pursue IC. You'd slow the tribe down, also IC.

It's irrelevent to the concern of the person who started this thread.

If you'll read the first post, he says in-character, his character is a -full blooded elf.-

Not someone who passes for an elf, someone who IS an elf. Unfortunately, if I'm not mistaken, a half-elf might not be 100% fluent in Allundean. An elf would be. A half-elf WOULD be fluent in Sirihish. An elf would not be. A lot of other things come with one race, that don't come with another. Especially if he is claiming that his "pure-blooded elf" is a desert elf and he attempts to actually live as a desert elf. He wouldn't be capable of walking, let alone running, in the desert more than a few minutes real-time before he became exhausted and got eaten by a gith. And since his background is that he is a -full-blooded elf,- he wouldn't be riding a kank.

A full-blooded desert elf who can't survive in the desert wouldn't have lived to whatever the starting age is for the mechanics of the d'elf character in the game. His tribe would've either killed him off or left him to die when they found out that he was so amazingly defective that he couldn't even run to keep up with his tribe.

It sounded to me as if he intentionally picked half-elf, possibly for its attributes, or maybe some misunderstanding about stats or skills or something...and also intended for his character to BE an elf. Not pretend to be one, not believe himself to be one, but have the actual background - mother/father bloodlines - of an elf.

If he's trying for the city-elf, he might be able to pull it off, though he'd have some serious explaining to do with any other elf he meets up with regarding his lack of fluency with Allundean. Could make for some interesting roleplay, but judging by what he wrote in his post, it doesn't sound at all like what he intended.

The code of the half-elf race just plain doesn't support the choice of a full-blooded elf. He can try it, but as a first character I'd say it's a pretty bad decision, even if the staff says it's allowed.

Yes I am codewise a half-elf and I am not pretending to be and elf or thinking I am, I am ic an elf and it was in my backround that im an elf, and in my desc. Either the staff missed it out or its allowed and if its not allowed ill write to the mud, can someone tell me where to write too?.

I have just recently came back to arm and I forgot that in my background I wrote that I am a full blooded elf but my parents left me to die in the desert and I was raised by humans making me half-elven but not by blood.

QuoteI have just recently came back to arm and I forgot that in my background I wrote that I am a full blooded elf but my parents left me to die in the desert and I was raised by humans making me half-elven but not by blood.

That's not how things work. Just because you're raised by another set of people doesn't suddenly alter your genetic heritage.

Elf = your genetic heritage
Half-elf = some mistake that an imm forgot to correct
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

Carnage Carnage Carnage my genetic heritige is elven its just that because of the way I was raised I didnt end up like other elvs.

I think what Carnage is trying to tell you is that you can't be a half-elf just because you were raised by humans.  Your character should be a elf codewise and ICly.  You may not act like an elf, but your still an elf.  You should contact some of the Helpers and have them explain a few things to you.  They can be extremely helpful.

Quote from: "Alone"Carnage Carnage Carnage my genetic heritige is elven its just that because of the way I was raised I didnt end up like other elvs.

You should probably re-read the racial pages then. A half-elf isn't a half-elf just because he was raised by something other than elves. A half-elf, by definition, is the result of an elf and a human having sex. It is nothing else, ever.

Just because your character "didn't end up like other elves" doesn't make him something other than an elf. He's still an elf. A degenerate elf maybe - an unwanted tribeless elf, but still an elf, and NOT a half-elf.

As you yourself say, it was an oversight on the part of the staff, contrary to the few who insisted that what you wrote wasn't what you meant.

In short, as I understand it, and considering the logic behind it, you cannot pick one race via the coded mechanics and apply it to a character of another race.  If, however, you want to roleplay that your character is delusional, OR if he knows that he's a breed and just wants to convince others that he's an elf, that would be totally acceptable and interesting RP.

Ah, I misunderstood. You're right, Bestatte.

QuoteCarnage Carnage Carnage my genetic heritige is elven its just that because of the way I was raised I didnt end up like other elvs.

THAT IS NOT HOW GENETICS AND THE GAME WORK!

If both of my parents are humans and I'm raised by wolves, I don't suddenly become half human half wolf. If both of my parents are wolves and I'm raised by humans, I STILL don't suddenly become half human half wolf. I might get their mannerisms, I might pick up on their culture, but I don't suddenly shift in my biological heritage.

Half-elf isn't a elf raised by humans nor a human raised by elves. It's when a human and an elf fuck. That's what pops out. Your character's parents were not human and elf. They were both elves. Elf + Elf = you being a elf. Elf + Elf + Human upbringing does NOT equal you being a half-elf. It doesn't matter. It's an error in your race that some imm forgot to correct.

Any questions?
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

Creeper, you're so friggin' l33t.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

Yeah... But what does that have to do with this thread?

Creeper
21sters Unite!

Whoops. Meant Carnage.

I get you two confused, what with you both being so friggin' l33t and all.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."