The value of money and RP

Started by oggotale, October 21, 2018, 02:27:09 PM

Okay, so to summerise;

PC Leaders or those with position would find themselves needing more coin to push plots and make things happen, yes? More coin to make the world turn in their plans of plans.

Regular commoner PCs or solo hunters find themselves having too much coin and usually (maybe) not very interested in being part in plots or could fund their own personal fun plots if they want to?

Though, I still feel the value of money < value of RP.

Quote from: senseofeven on October 25, 2018, 03:40:10 AM
Okay, so to summerise;

PC Leaders or those with position would find themselves needing more coin to push plots and make things happen, yes? More coin to make the world turn in their plans of plans.

Regular commoner PCs or solo hunters find themselves having too much coin and usually (maybe) not very interested in being part in plots or could fund their own personal fun plots if they want to?

Though, I still feel the value of money < value of RP.

That's easy to adjust for, though. Nobles today get larger stipends than they did 15 years ago, specifically due to the inflation of the IC economy. That's the easiest way for staff to deal with it. Just giving PC leaders access to more sid, which is what they've done. I think the system in place now is working as intended, for the most part. But I wouldn't mind seeing additional big ticket items for PCs to pursue IC.
I used to have a funny signature, but I felt like no one took me seriously, so it's time to put on my serious face.

Big ticket items, save for a Kuraci wagon if not an argosy. Save up your coins, and buy the supplies to start your own tribal camp and go build and fill it.

Pay for a statue to be made of yourself or in honor to someone.

Buy a door with a better lock for your apartment from Kadius.

Hire guards

Also, may try and buy your way up. Icly it should be possible, through enough sid and influence. Even if you don't get there your spending your sid on trying and you never know.

Secretively fund raiders. Buy a skimmer and hire a crew.

Find an area in a city demolished and offer to contribute to the rebuild that section with the implantation of your idea for what is build or how it should look.

Pay for expeditions across the known, either going with them or sending them. There are many things to discover in the known, not just in this tiny (large) city of Nak we are mostly all squeezed into. try not to get tunnel vision.

If you find you are over flowing with sid, start some movement to help the commoners around you and become a folk hero, rising in stature Icly with in the shadow of the highlord. Or whatever.

The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

Maybe crafting could be given a close look and the effect it has on the game economy.
Not all who wander are lost.

Quote from: Potaje on October 25, 2018, 12:20:51 PM
Big ticket items, save for a Kuraci wagon if not an argosy. Save up your coins, and buy the supplies to start your own tribal camp and go build and fill it.

Pay for a statue to be made of yourself or in honor to someone.

Buy a door with a better lock for your apartment from Kadius.

Hire guards

Also, may try and buy your way up. Icly it should be possible, through enough sid and influence. Even if you don't get there your spending your sid on trying and you never know.

Secretively fund raiders. Buy a skimmer and hire a crew.

Find an area in a city demolished and offer to contribute to the rebuild that section with the implantation of your idea for what is build or how it should look.

Pay for expeditions across the known, either going with them or sending them. There are many things to discover in the known, not just in this tiny (large) city of Nak we are mostly all squeezed into. try not to get tunnel vision.

If you find you are over flowing with sid, start some movement to help the commoners around you and become a folk hero, rising in stature Icly with in the shadow of the highlord. Or whatever.

Not saying that any of this is impossible, but the less value that money has the harder it will be to use it to get people to do things for you. You're not just dealing with the problem of its value for you, after all. If it's not valuable for anyone, the problem compounds and people stop accepting it in exchange for services (thus causing it to accumulate and devalue more).

One solution I'd like to see tinkered with is expanding into a secondary economy. In the 1960's Russian currency lost almost all of its value internally as there wasn't much you were allowed to purchase with it (because there wasn't much you could purchase and, like here, price inflation didn't exist). This caused a second black market economy to come into existence, operating side by side with the regulated economy.

Now Zalanthas doesn't have an officially regulated economy in the lore, but due to metagame constraints on the code's interaction with supply and demand the game operates as if it did have a regulated economy. Given this, a secondary form of currency that is built from the ground up to have scarcity, and thus follow a standard supply/demand structure would make things a lot more interesting. You could still use coded 'sid generation to take care of all your necessities, but if you wanted "the good stuff" your interaction with the economy of the game would need to get more involved.

Use the game's flaws to work to your advantage.

You're not going to convince the rich guy to go do something for you if he's already rich. Just like I can't convince Jeff Bezos to come mow my lawn.

But there's thirty wealthy assholes right now waiting for a set of Kuraci desert camo or an uber weapon (fancier bone sword) from Salarr.

Use your connections to go buy that set or weapon and have it waiting for when you meet the guy who needs it. "Sure, you can buy one from Kurac if you wait 2 RL months for their merchant to show up ... or I can give you this one as soon as you finish this task."

Quote from: Miradus on October 25, 2018, 01:42:19 PM

Use the game's flaws to work to your advantage.

You're not going to convince the rich guy to go do something for you if he's already rich. Just like I can't convince Jeff Bezos to come mow my lawn.

But there's thirty wealthy assholes right now waiting for a set of Kuraci desert camo or an uber weapon (fancier bone sword) from Salarr.

Use your connections to go buy that set or weapon and have it waiting for when you meet the guy who needs it. "Sure, you can buy one from Kurac if you wait 2 RL months for their merchant to show up ... or I can give you this one as soon as you finish this task."

That would be a small scale example of a secondary economy, with a currency of favors or Kuraci dessert gear depending on your perspective.

I think the currency has been vastly improved with the addition of the new classes and a lack of skin skill on most of them. Coin is valuable to my pcs even if I don't hoard it unless it is towards a goal.