Staff And Player Consensus? Remove HGs from play

Started by Is Friday, April 11, 2018, 09:38:00 PM

It helps if you read the post in the voice of the shopkeep from the comic book store in The Simpsons.
Quote from: Is Friday
If you ever hassle me IC for not playing much that means that I'm going to play even less or I'll forever write you off as a neckbeard chained to his computer. So don't be a dick.

May 01, 2018, 06:47:02 PM #77 Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 03:23:38 AM by Sorry

:)
"And in her long nights, in her long house of smoke and miller's stones, she baked the bread we eat in dreams, strangest loaves, her pies full of anguish and days long dead, her fairy-haunted gingerbread, her cakes wet with tears."

I have to say, that all-in-all, the player base is awesome, and I have always been pleasantly surprised by all/most half-giants on arm.  If a tad bit of realism comes into play, imagine a Half-Giant, towering over a Human  This Giant is going to have strength, it is going to be able to squish you.  Half-Giants can kill you, add it to your gameplay, accept it, and understand it.  Do you think a mac truck will have the same impact as a Ugo? 

Let's stop removing things from the game and bring back the good old times.  It's horrible that someone can spend years RL and gain enough Karma (Another broken concept imo) and then, the option is removed in the name of change.  Change for the worst is still change, so what is actually accomplished?

Quote from: TheWanderer on May 01, 2018, 01:39:20 AM
The primary issue here is most of you have never mudsexxed a half-giant. Once they've been disrobed and placed in an incredibly vulnerable state, a lot of players finally peel back the numerous layers of their seemingly mediocre character to reveal the much more complex individual beneath. You're then privy to the subtle intricacies of a far more nuanced, well-rounded giant, which in turn upends these pervading falsehoods. I suppose it further illustrates why you can't trust an ill-informed player opinion over staff opinion on most of these subjects. You people never know what the fuck you're going on about.

The fact that none of you seem to know this speaks volumes about the playerbase and its diminished ability to tell tales that venture beyond a shrinking comfort zone. It's disheartening, honestly.

"Art is bold, daring, controversial, and always risky." Maybe you'll grasp this simple concept one day and refrain from requesting the subtraction of another outlet in this game. Don't play prey to their simple-minded masquerade.

Quoted for truth.
There are people already knowledgeable in game.  Find them and kill them so no one has cures and then poison everyone. -Kefka 2018

So it really is enjoyable for the human male to throw his hotdog down the half-giant hallway? Or is it just one way?

Is this deception because of the half-giant's supposed incapabilities?

Hm. How philosophical.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

My assumption is that its a metaphor, one for finding a way to let an emotionally stunted person let their guard down and reveal that their emotions are actually a thing deep down and that they are people and what have you.

Quote from: boog on May 04, 2018, 11:37:24 PM
So it really is enjoyable for the human male to throw his hotdog down the half-giant hallway? Or is it just one way?

Is this deception because of the half-giant's supposed incapabilities?

Hm. How philosophical.

para phrased from predator:

Human tell his female giant while going down on her "Gee your @#%%^ is as big as a house",  'Gee your @#%%^ is as big as a house'
Female giant says to human, Why'd you say it twice?'
Human says 'I didn't.'
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

Personally, I think fostering a culture of removal after removal after removal is detrimental to the health of any game.
Tuluk
Gypsies
Nerfing sorcerers
Nilazi
Magick classes

All the while things like the Atrium
Fales
Bureaucratic boosts
City RP

These things get a boost and I believe it is at the expense of the games and many formerly loyal players.  I am unsure why the game is going in this direction, but IMHO it is very negative.  Sorry if I go against the narrative of the majority of the players or staff, but honestly, I don't want to login to a game where I sit in a tavern and rp getting shaken down because I can't gut someone because of the crazy crime code that a game cop 50 rooms away instantly knows I am a criminal.  I also don't appreciate everything being stagnant on the outside of the cities and God forbid I am a desert elf and can't leave the area to interact with anyone.

All of these things can be rectified by removing restrictions that have been hampering the game as a whole and ensuring that people selected for roles over and over actually stick it out instead of bolting early, YET somehow, keep getting more and more roles. 

My $0.02

Quote from: frankjacoby on May 08, 2018, 11:37:25 AM
Fales
Bureaucratic boosts
City RP

These things get a boost and I believe it is at the expense of the games and many formerly loyal players.

I agreed with you about removing content right up until you said the above.

How does the Atrium or Fale or anyone else get "boosts" exactly? If these clans are taking the limelight that's because they're proactive. There's nothing stopping you from doing the same with any other clan. Sign up (or app for a sponsored role), climb the ranks, and put your clan on the map by being active. If you don't like these clans conceptually, no problem. Are you ready for the solution? It's really unpredictable, I know: don't join them. There are plenty of other clans with very different concepts to choose from.

Removing more game content is quite possibly the absolute, number one worst thing you could do for the game at a time like this. Literally the worst thing short of shutting Arm down entirely. You and I are in total agreement there. Assigning blame on any single clan in this game (literally any one) and saying they are being given boosts somehow, sorry, I just don't see it. If Kurac is active and Salarr and Kadius are quiet, that's not Kurac's fault. Maybe Salarr and Kadius (in this hypothetical example) need to just step it up a notch. And maybe you could be that person to do it. Rather than hating on active clans, let's all get active ourselves. There's nothing bad about a little competition.

Personally, I think fostering a culture of removal after removal after removal is detrimental to the health of any game.
Tuluk
Gypsies
Nerfing sorcerers
Nilazi
Magick classes

Fales
Bureaucratic boosts
City RP

I actually find myself agreeing with this. Ghanima, it is a bit impossible to combat power that has become sort of a monopoly. When the most active and main bulk of the game reaches a certain point, where is the balance? I'm sort of playing devil's advocate here, but I am curious. There seems to be a great contention against the political side (or at least Allanaki politics) of the game, any idea why that is?

May 08, 2018, 06:14:32 PM #87 Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 06:16:34 PM by Strongheart
Maybe not impossible, but keep in mind that there are people who play this game extremely actively. They can pump so many counter measures into their play that the only thing that can stop them is meta-gaming players or staff intervention. I feel like I'm being pessimistic here but I'm just basing it off first-hand observation.

Quote from: TheWanderer on May 01, 2018, 01:39:20 AM
The primary issue here is most of you have never mudsexxed a half-giant. Once they've been disrobed and placed in an incredibly vulnerable state, a lot of players finally peel back the numerous layers of their seemingly mediocre character to reveal the much more complex individual beneath. You're then privy to the subtle intricacies of a far more nuanced, well-rounded giant, which in turn upends these pervading falsehoods. I suppose it further illustrates why you can't trust an ill-informed player opinion over staff opinion on most of these subjects. You people never know what the fuck you're going on about.

The fact that none of you seem to know this speaks volumes about the playerbase and its diminished ability to tell tales that venture beyond a shrinking comfort zone. It's disheartening, honestly.

"Art is bold, daring, controversial, and always risky." Maybe you'll grasp this simple concept one day and refrain from requesting the subtraction of another outlet in this game. Don't play prey to their simple-minded masquerade.

Also, I love this ;D

The various clans of the game, get boosts not because favoritism, but because they go to their staffer with an idea, they talk it out and organize stuff a month in advance, then get things done for them because they are civil and actually have expectations in line with what can be given. Awhile back I organized something and staff quite happily done animations and made things kickass for me with very little prompting.

In the time I have been here, the overall attitude toward city RP has been about the same to me. People stay in the city because they dont want to solo RP, or have to fight a scrab every 10 seconds. Sure, things have changed in terms of what sort of city RP goes on, but thats the fault of the players for changing that.

Great point, but was it the fault of the players for getting rid of Tuluk and the Gypsies or nerfing sorcerers, Nilazi and the various other magick classes?

Not that I'm arguing your point, I'm just mostly curious about your thoughts on some of the directions taken not made by the majority of players.

I would say Tuluk has been the only major removal over the years. At least in my view anyway. The gypsy removal was before my time as far as I know. I am probably wrong though.

I also wouldnt say that magickers have been nerfed, they have been changed and in some ways made significantly stronger and in others made significantly weaker. I would say they have instead been balanced. A ranger Rukkian for example has the ability to go anywhere, and kill just about anything on their own dependant on which Rukkian they are.

Nerfing Sorcerers and removing Nilazi and drov sucks though I think. Sorcerers were meant to be significantly overpowered, they were meant to be able to kill anything with a wave of a hand and they cant quite do that now.

People need to stop viewing changes from what they like as nerfs, they are changes, try to view them as such instead of jumping to a negative view.

For better or for worse changes, I agree. I don't mind the change but I do feel that full elementalists have no reason not to exist and the same goes for Drovians, Elkrosians, and Nilazi.

Quote from: Strongheart on May 08, 2018, 06:08:16 PM
Tuluk
Gypsies
Nerfing sorcerers
Nilazi
Magick classes

Fales
Bureaucratic boosts
City RP

I actually find myself agreeing with this. Ghanima, it is a bit impossible to combat power that has become sort of a monopoly. When the most active and main bulk of the game reaches a certain point, where is the balance?

What power are you trying to combat though? I don't get it. How is it that the game's most social oriented clans are suddenly seen as all powerful monopolies? You realize that you're talking about two clans that have no actual, physical power, right? Or were those just two random examples? I might be more sympathetic if you said the AoD or something like that (not because I think the AoD is too powerful but because they do have physical power, being a combat oriented clan). But seriously, of all the clans you are guys are afraid of and think are unfairly beating the system it's the clan that teaches people how to pour tea and another clan that sits around and sips tea? THOSE are the ones you think are outbalancing the system? Wow. Maybe I should go join them with my next character and get in on all the power they are stealing from the rest of the game world. I can't wait to play an Atrium student because then I'll be invincible and immune to murder, corruption, and betrayal, right? I'm going to be a superpower in my bisht and everyone will fear me. It's going to be so awesome.

Seriously, you guys are gonna have to talk specifics if you really want to make this case. What are bureaucratic boosts? What other boosts are there? I'm not saying they don't exist, I just don't see them from my angle. But like I said, maybe I should sign up for these clans and see for myself. And maybe then I'll get to play a character who isn't prone to being pkilled or on the receiving end of other nasty business.

True or False

1) Some people play low strength / agility non HG warriors. Most people store or kill them off early on.

2) A half-giant with exceptional wisdom is a real thing.

3) Humans are playing in a world where mekillots exist and complaining about the ally that can help them slay the mekillot.

4) When a half-giant blatantly powergames it is more obvious and more annoying.

If all of the above are true then we should fix those things and only those things that are true. Small changes can add up to big changes.

It's just kinda funny because this thread was about removing half-giants (who ARE physically powerful) and now it's turned into complains that the barbie doll clans are the ones that are outbalancing things. If that's your take, you guys must love that defilers and full elementalists were removed. We should remove rangers too. They have a monopoly on archery. Also Kadius because they have a monopoly on fine goods.

We should also change the game's setting. A harsh desert world filled with corrupt societies is unfair. Let's make it into a utopia where everyone gets their equal share and no person is above or below the other. That'll show them!

I am okay with removing half-giants but only if a new race replaces them.

Let me play a motherfucking kenku I will pay money.

If braxat were slightly more intelligent and domesticated, I think they'd a way cooler race to play than half-giants. Enslave the vast majority of them, a tribal remnant remaining in the wilds but always in fear of being hunted and captured by Allanak, while the domesticated braxat try to preserve pieces of their tribal culture as they're assimilated.

Quote from: ghanima on May 08, 2018, 12:39:28 PM
Fales
Bureaucratic boosts
City RP

These things get a boost and I believe it is at the expense of the games and many formerly loyal players.

I agreed with you about removing content right up until you said the above.

How does the Atrium or Fale or anyone else get "boosts" exactly? If these clans are taking the limelight that's because they're proactive. There's nothing stopping you from doing the same with any other clan. Sign up (or app for a sponsored role), climb the ranks, and put your clan on the map by being active. If you don't like these clans conceptually, no problem. Are you ready for the solution? It's really unpredictable, I know: don't join them. There are plenty of other clans with very different concepts to choose from.

Just taking a few random examples, I say this because you see advertisements about fale parties or random social things that get hyped, my view is that there should be some balance, but taking away the harsh and dangerous in exchange for taverns and parties seems to be a bit contrary to the Raison d'etre of Armageddon in general.

Again, just my $0.02, please don'tget hard feelings thinking I am against social rp completely.