Death Reports: Closure to prevent players walking away from a game they love.

Started by ShaLeah, March 05, 2018, 02:24:51 PM

I like the idea of having an emote time on death.
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

Quote from: Feco on March 14, 2018, 06:07:23 PM
If someone is using locked, remote, or closed off rooms to make sure someone gets dead, they're doing just that.  Making sure someone gets dead.  These are probably more common, which isn't surprising.  I'm pretty sure murderers in real life have taken advantage of a locked room a time or two, and for good reason.

They're making sure that their precious characters face zero risk and zero consequence. That's the honest truth of it. If you just can't bear the risk of hiring an outside assassin or getting a templar intervention to fix your problems, then I can't respect you as player.

Quote from: tapas on March 15, 2018, 01:50:20 AM
Quote from: Feco on March 14, 2018, 06:07:23 PM

Every time you murder a PC, you give that PC's friends excuses to form long-standing grudges and cut off potential resources. It's not a proposition to take lightly, if your PC has any concern for their own well-being, which, honestly, some don't, then they will try to find another means of effecting change, because rampant murdering tends to stack up and affect one's ability to earn a living.

They're making sure that their precious characters face zero risk and zero consequence. That's the honest truth of it. If you just can't bear the risk of hiring an outside assassin or getting a templar intervention to fix your problems, then I can't respect you as player.

Who cares who you respect as a player? It is part of the game regardless. Not my thing but if people want to trap and murder it is a legitimate strategy (unless they are leaving a rotting corpse in their own apartment, they should be discovered if so and often are discovered doing this.)

There is nothing wrong with stacking odds in your favor, at all (as long as you take the virtual and coded world into account), especially when you aren't playing a tough character and want to remove someone you hate/ a rival. That's betrayal for you. Deal with it.

Zalanthas is a harsh world and survival is more important than honor to the vast majority of its inhabitants

QuoteThere is nothing wrong with stacking odds in your favor, at all (as long as you take the virtual and coded world into account), especially when you aren't playing a tough character and want to remove someone you hate/ a rival.

If this were hearthstone, I'd agree with you. But this is a collaborative game that requires trust between players. Yet I'm asked to tolerate the other player taking advantage of that trust and hitting the ez win button.

QuoteDeal with it.

Why should I?

Because it is about IC trust not player trust whether someone murderizes you or not. Players aren't required to give you a fighting chance. You need to separate IC/ OOC in your own mind. Unfair executions and murder happen in RL too, in fact the vast majority are unfair with one party having almost no chance almost always. Not really sure what your hangup is, stop seeing it as unfair gameplay and start seeing as a hopeless ic situation.

Quote from: Kankfly on March 15, 2018, 12:28:55 AM
I'm going to suggest it here.

What if we had like... a minute delay before sure death?

So for example, you are 100% certainly going to die, but instead of an instant beep and mantishead, there is a minute delay where you get to emote (only emote) out your last dying emote(s), just so you can have some closure on your PC?
Because:
>emote asks why u pk him u loser asshole

That's why.

On the other hand, it might be nice if the final death blow was not withheld, but rather, could have an emote built into it, set up in advance by the PKer. So when it does come, the player behind the victim has a *chance* for closure, if the killer feels one is warranted. Example:

think Oh there's victim, up yonder hill 3 rooms. I'm gonna kill him and collect the bounty.
pkscriptend Happy birthday, breed. Your mama said she never did love your daddy.
e;e;e backstab victim

End result:
Bla blah blah you get pked.
>-3 the hooded guy kills you, saying in your language, "Happy birthday, Breed. Your mama said she never did love your daddy."
<mantis>
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

So for example, you are 100% certainly going to die, but instead of an instant beep and mantishead, there is a minute delay where you get to emote (only emote) out your last dying emote(s), just so you can have some closure on your PC?

I love it. Best roleplay enhancing idea I've heard in ages.

If for some reason someone uses emote like that, then I believe that warrants a pcomplaint. Just like with anything else is abused in an absurd and ridiculous way.
I ruin immershunz.

I don't like the minute delay on death, sometimes you want someone dead now not later. Patrols, you need a certain item off them, or somesuch. I like how death in this game can come instantly, like real life. The one min thing seems like a mush thing. I really like Lizzie's idea above, I would like a pkill say that appears on the death email as well as ig as you die. Now that would be amazing.

What difference would it make if they died one min earlier and not one min later? It's a 100% sure death, there's no surviving. it just gives you and the killer time to emote some last stuff.

With death reports it will require more work both on staff side and player side.
I ruin immershunz.

Quote from: Inks on March 15, 2018, 08:13:13 AM
I don't like the minute delay on death, sometimes you want someone dead now not later. Patrols, you need a certain item off them, or somesuch. I like how death in this game can come instantly, like real life. The one min thing seems like a mush thing. I really like Lizzie's idea above, I would like a pkill say that appears on the death email as well as ig as you die. Now that would be amazing.

Then have an 'execute' command that will totally finish your victim off, or put your dying buddy out of their misery.

I run into way more situations where I need to kill someone, but would enjoy having the one minute of rp after, than situations where I don't have a minute to spare for some gasping last breath emotes, a villainous rant on my motives, and the extra time of sweet victorious revelry as my opponent bleeds out.

On the dying side, your dying PC gets a chance to tell someone they love them, tell their boss what an asshole they are, and emote your GD heart out like a dying cowboy hero in an old Clint Eastwood movie.

A couple more suggestions:

When the PKed is on the 1-minute (or however long) timer, their things can be taken by the 'steal' command, as if they are an unconscious PC.

During the 1-minute timer, the PKed gets to use 'quit die' if they don't want to act out a scene and just wants to die (for whatever reason).

I kind of like the 'execute' idea, but not -too- on board with it. What if the PKed wants to throw out some emotes but before they can, the PKer uses 'execute'?
I ruin immershunz.

They're usually dumb reasons.

Most people would not wanna know.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

+1 to Kankfly's suggestion.

Quote from: roughneck on March 15, 2018, 09:03:34 AMOn the dying side, your dying PC gets a chance to tell someone they love them, tell their boss what an asshole they are, and emote your GD heart out like a dying cowboy hero in an old Clint Eastwood movie.
I do like the idea of an incapacitated PC maintaining consciousness for a short time. Maybe during the higher negatives (from 0HP to -5HP, for example). Or as a supplement to Kankfly's 1-min timer suggestion. They're on the verge of death, losing blood and unable to move, but they have a last chance to say something before succumbing to their wounds.

In terms of implementation, a not-so-intrusive idea for implementing this would be to change things so that:

1. You don't actually die when you reach -10 hps.

2. You die when you reach -50 hps (or some number).

3. Each 'tick' if you are -11 or below will suck 2-5 hps.

4. If -11 or below, you can't restore hps, period (by magick, or otherwise).  You are dead.  You just haven't left your body yet.

5. During this time you can quit die to actually quit.

It *should* work out to a couple minutes still 'in game' but basically dead, so you can pick up on emotes and so on just like when you are verge of death and all that.

Then at least you can toss out a few blood gurgling emotes --- and yes, emote can be abused, but so what!!! --- and your murderer can toss out a few murdering-you emotes, etc.

as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Quote from: Lizzie on March 15, 2018, 06:46:18 AM
Because:
>emote asks why u pk him u loser asshole

That's why.

People can do that anyway. Many, many times you know you're doomed before the final blow hits. Even if you can't talk, you can often emote, and even if you can't emote, you can ooc. People do this kind of thing sometimes but it's pretty rare and I don't think adding a few seconds onto the end of a pc's life is going to make it all that much worse.

Just for added discussion:

I once had to kill someone, who was caught sneaking to Undertuluk for "reasons". He was caught going there numerous times. I was playing a Sergeant, and the Templar had enough and said "take care of it". I assumed this meant kill him, but I gave him a chance. When I asked WHY he was going there, he said he never did, and the person reporting it (a loyal Templarate assassin) was a liar.

So at that point, I kind of HAD to. At which point they OOC'd that they had to log off because it was "all too much". When it was explained that it isn't fair that they avoid consequences by trying to quit out, they sent in more OOC complaints about me because they "talked to someone who I'd talked to previously and said I was feeling bored in the role, and obviously I was killing them because I have no imagination".

That player, I believe, still hates and distrusts me.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

That player is awful Riev and it doesn't matter what they think. They want to "win". Rather than realise that we have all died as soon as we create a character. And few pick how that story ends.

I'd be cool with a death emote. Especially with a prompt like.

You begin to slip into death's cold embrace.
(You may perform a final emote action).
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

I once killed an elf because he wouldn't follow orders and his last words were "OOC: this is some bullshit"

I still laugh thinking about it.

I'm crazy on board with a minute for death scenes.

The issue I see is that this probably would not be easy to code, give that death is a calculated event, with built in ersatz timers and limits and reversibility already, that would all need to be modified.

Also, you have to imagine that you won't get the best RP from people who are dying, because the player IRL has adrenaline pumping through their veins, without the pain, dissociation, or lapsing consciousness of someone actually dying.  Better to get misspelled, slightly off-character death emotes off than no emotes, though.  I think you'd have to prevent them from using the Way, otherwise every person murdered would have the opportunity to tell people who killed them.  Probably prevent them from moving also.  I'd say just make them unconscious, but then they couldn't look into the eyes of their killer, which would be a mixed benefit and problem (can't spill IC information you don't have, but sometimes knowing who killed you is key to understanding the reason.)

I think the benefits way outweigh the risks of twinkish misuse or less than ideal realization.  Also, even just getting to fire off an emote or two immediately puts power put back into the hands of those who just had it taken away.  This might help alleviate feelings of being 'cheated' by death, and allow players to end their stories in character, if not as they imagined.
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

It's one of the reasons I like to keep mercy on, at least as far as kill is concerned. If you don't utterly splatter the PC sometimes you give them the chance at just this idea... not that I go around killing a lot of people...
Quote from: Is Friday
If you ever hassle me IC for not playing much that means that I'm going to play even less or I'll forever write you off as a neckbeard chained to his computer. So don't be a dick.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on March 15, 2018, 06:13:57 PM
I once killed an elf because he wouldn't follow orders and his last words were "OOC: this is some bullshit"

I still laugh thinking about it.
You may have gotten me in my early days ::)
yousuck

Quote from: Grapes on March 21, 2018, 06:29:13 PM
It's one of the reasons I like to keep mercy on, at least as far as kill is concerned. If you don't utterly splatter the PC sometimes you give them the chance at just this idea... not that I go around killing a lot of people...

Yep, this. Though sometimes I hit too hard and mercy doesn't work, but in general it's a good way to at least offer them a final emote and give them a chance at one too.