the penned gladiator recruitment thread

Started by 650Booger, December 03, 2017, 07:55:26 PM

Just a casual, semi-periodic place to remind people that we need more penned gladiators!  this is a free second character for you.  make it some hideous concept you've always thought about but were ashamed to try.  then get yourself slaughtered on the sands for all of us to enjoy!  we have only a handful that are really keeping this alive, and I think it would be great to see more of us!

I will bump this thread occasionally as a reminder.
"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson

Penned gladiators are restricted in play to the Allanak Arena. As a slave you are not permitted from leaving and are expected to train and then train some more for the periodic Games where you will then be brought up to have a fight to the death with another penned gladiator or a fierce beast or some other opponent!

In exchange for this very limited avenue of play you are allowed to play a penned gladiator at the same time you have a regular character!
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

The request tool on the front page. Put in a role application to the Allanaki Gladiators and staff will get back to you.

the only thing I'd modify is that you're not really expected to train as a penner, and it's totally cool to just show up on gameday.
"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson

Training is fun though. Show up and let the Reigning Gladiators beat the shit out of you and gloat. They need roleplay fun too!

So to make a brief summary, this could be a PC that I bring only once per week / two weeks to see if he dies in the arena and don't need to devote any more time to? Or I could login to get beat up in training and act as a slave prop?

That sounds sick.

Can anyone apply for one?
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

December 04, 2017, 02:22:07 AM #9 Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 02:24:42 AM by Bushranger

Quote from: deskoft on December 04, 2017, 12:30:18 AM
So to make a brief summary, this could be a PC that I bring only once per week / two weeks to see if he dies in the arena and don't need to devote any more time to? Or I could login to get beat up in training and act as a slave prop?

That sounds sick.

Yep.

Quote from: ShaLeah on December 04, 2017, 01:39:43 AM
Can anyone apply for one?

Also yep.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

This is interesting to me, what time do these gladiator RPs happen? I haven't played in Nak in a few months.
3/21/16 Never Forget

They used to be announced on the GDB. Someone should do that again! I vote: Bushranger.
Why? Random.

I found the BEST ROLL CALL EVER for this, and after enjoying macho man for a minute, I couldn't find any info on how to apply?

Role Aplication request with Borsail as the clan?
3/21/16 Never Forget

December 05, 2017, 12:10:54 AM #14 Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 12:12:42 AM by Bushranger
Quote from: Bushranger on December 03, 2017, 09:15:19 PM
The request tool on the front page. Put in a role application to the Allanaki Gladiators and staff will get back to you.

They happen when the RPT for them is scheduled, usually on a weekend at peak time but it depends on the Templar/Noble/Staff who are planning it.

Quote from: lostinspace on December 04, 2017, 05:39:31 PM
I found the BEST ROLL CALL EVER for this, and after enjoying macho man for a minute, I couldn't find any info on how to apply?

Role Aplication request with Borsail as the clan?
Since, Allanaki Gladiators have become a real clan on the request tool.
There are people already knowledgeable in game.  Find them and kill them so no one has cures and then poison everyone. -Kefka 2018

we've been doing arena RPTs on alternating saturdays in the evenings server time.
I'm not involved in the planning anymore, I just show up when I'm told.  we have a subforum to talk about gladiator stuff and to coordinate times.
-Kim Stanley Robinson

Quote from: TavenYou can do a variation on this to brighten up combat, if you're careful. You do NOT want to overuse stock emotes in combat, because they quickly loose all meaning. But, for example, I had a gladiator PC once. For each special action (kick, bash, disarm, subdue) I typed up not just one emote, but several possible ones I could use, as well as failure options. Ones for grabbing my weapon and so on. Because when you're a gladiator, it's your job to entertain, and you're gonna die pretty fast. Here's some examples:

Alias Name     Movement/Action     Emote
a1     Attack     shout (the finger bones clinking in ^me braids with each pounding step as #me rushes into the fray, swords swinging) AIIIIIIIIIIIE!
a2     Attack     Cautiously, @ circles, eyes narrowed. Only cursory attention is given to the red, blood-stained stand, and the corpses littering it--only enough attention as is needed to avoid tripping. Then, with a sudden movement, #me lashes out, snake-like.
om1     Opponent's attack misses     em Side stepping an attempted blow, @ brings both swords in a slashing arc at ^me opponent
m1     Your attack misses     em snarls as ^me swing narrowly misses ^me opponent, the blade's keen, bloody edge barely missing skin.
rw1     Recovering your weapon     em Snarling as ^me sword is knocked away, @ twists to the side, stooping for ~2.sword while trying to fend off attacks with ~sword

Those may not be the best examples, but you get the idea. If you program your aliases client side, you can make them responsive so you can actually target your opponent. In addition, you can also stack commands within the alias--IE, when you're trying to emote picking up that sword, you can actually add in the command to the alias to pick up the sword, as well.

The thing to remember is DO NOT OVER USE OR ABUSE THIS because there's a point where pre-typed anything ceases to be an emote and starts to be spam. If every time you get disarmed, you use the same pre-aliased emote there is something wrong. Aliases like the above are meant to help spice up special combat where you just don't have time to type.

Found this and thought it was really clever, the idea of preparing some emotes before the fights, even if end up not using some of them, since wouldn't want to use any that are lined up more than once :)

And helps with that problem of sometimes it takes too long for someone to type so that it doesn't match up with what the game messages are implying - one thing I noticed is that when there's a max-length emote it's easier to notice in the spam as well :)
"And in her long nights, in her long house of smoke and miller's stones, she baked the bread we eat in dreams, strangest loaves, her pies full of anguish and days long dead, her fairy-haunted gingerbread, her cakes wet with tears."

^these are great!
-Kim Stanley Robinson

we could use some fresh apps folks!  our poor doyen shouldn't be having to stress about getting matches together.  let's get some new penned gladiators out on the sands!
-Kim Stanley Robinson

I also vote Bushranger.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

Just to point out...I'm pretty sure you can app a reigning as well if you want to make your next role a rock star that kills people in their face.
"People survive by climbing over anyone who gets in their way, by cheating, stealing, killing, swindling, or otherwise taking advantage of others."
-Ginka

"Don't do this. I can't believe I have to write this post."
-Rathustra

Does any of the Gladiator stuff happen during Euro time zones by chance?
A staff member sends:
     "Looks like you introduced him to *puts on sunslits* the school of hard Knoxx.  YEEEEAAAAAAH"

Quote from: JustAnotherGuy on May 15, 2018, 04:55:26 AM

Most RPTs happen Saturday 9pm server for Gladiators. Which would mean Sunday 2am for UK.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: Is Friday on May 15, 2018, 05:11:57 PM
Quote from: JustAnotherGuy on May 15, 2018, 04:55:26 AM

Most RPTs happen Saturday 9pm server for Gladiators. Which would mean Sunday 2am for UK.

Yeah, that's pretty damn late. :(
A staff member sends:
     "Looks like you introduced him to *puts on sunslits* the school of hard Knoxx.  YEEEEAAAAAAH"