What to do with Tuluk

Started by ghanima, October 21, 2017, 04:38:15 AM

Quote from: Riev on October 31, 2017, 01:12:32 PM
You people are, simply, awful.

I didn't think WP had a serious "do this" suggestion. It was a "here's the kind of stuff that can be done, now!"

Except it can't. Because anyone that tries to do anything in game is met with "but that really wouldn't happen because <x>"

Nobody was objecting to his other awesome suggestions.
Quote from: Is Friday
If you ever hassle me IC for not playing much that means that I'm going to play even less or I'll forever write you off as a neckbeard chained to his computer. So don't be a dick.

GG
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

October 31, 2017, 01:51:02 PM #102 Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 03:55:48 AM by Molten Heart
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Pick gate
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

Yeah. That was pre coffee spitballing.

But thanks for nitpicking it.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Let's not derail the thread with talk of something that would quite easily snowball from cause and effect due to easily uncovered in events in other locations and be one of those "NOPE" calls for whoever happens to be leadership in the Byn at the time by talking about how it could happen with staff support. That aside...

Tuluk is still alive and no matter what may be going on inside the gates, they will need supplies. Cutting off those supplies could branch into legionairres coming to the aide of fleeing tribals and spark other things. I like that.

Rounding up a band of fleeing refugees for mysterious purposes would be useful too, either as slaves, or to indoctrinate them with hatred of the city they fled, training them, with the eventual plan to send them back as spies and saboteurs, sleeper agents, whenever the gates, inevitably, reopen. Secret role-call, anyone? Or hell, maybe just arena entertainment.

The overall idea to schedule little RPTs like this is, overall very good. Just because I find fault with one pre-coffee spitball doesn't mean I dislike WP and/or his entire post.
Quote from: Is Friday
If you ever hassle me IC for not playing much that means that I'm going to play even less or I'll forever write you off as a neckbeard chained to his computer. So don't be a dick.

November 01, 2017, 04:23:24 PM #106 Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 04:25:33 PM by Miggy
Quote from: Fredd on October 21, 2017, 10:00:51 AM
Quote from: nauta on October 21, 2017, 08:56:27 AM
So this suggestion might fall flat on its face, but its a combination of three insights:

3. Allanak has a much more robust (if spartan) culture and history to it than Tuluk.

Completely disagree. As someone that has played right hand noble aides in both cities and learned a lot of history. I loved Tuluks flavor, culture and history more then i ever liked Nak's.
They had different feels.

Putting Nak where tuluk is not a good idea. The reason they chose Nak over the north, was danger, and scarcity of supplies. You HAVE to ride north for wood, hides, and other supples.
You have to ride south for....Spice?

No if they were gonna close one city, they chose wisely. But they did it wrong. Shoulda been a war, and they could leave the ruins of a city there filled with raiders and shit. It could be like a wildlands Labrinth
I would LOVE this.
Foraging for awesome artifacts, groups of dangerous raiders, other groups vying for territory, treasures, roaming beasts.... etc.
Not all who wander are lost
-Gandalf the Grey-
Quote from: Lizzie on November 09, 2018, 12:42:11 PM

But - would like to see random bits of brain matter among the pools of blood. That'd be cool.

I like that. Let's make going north of Luir's crazy. Not so dangerous so that no one will go there, but crazy wild fun dangerous. A wilderness that seeks at all times to kill you and never sleeps. Like normal, but dialed up to 11.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

..... you want dialed to 11?

go into the grey forest.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

Quote from: evilcabbage on November 02, 2017, 06:49:50 AM
..... you want dialed to 11?

go into the grey forest.

I mean that's exactly what Cind was talking about.

But to what end, exactly? The Forest is just full of dangerous mobs, who don't drop or skin anything anyone needs or requires. Its a zone that wants to kill you, but has no value other than to be a challenge.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

there are plenty of things you can skin in there that most certainly are very useful.

not everything has to have something people 'require', or 'need', just something people 'want'.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

Bring back the halflings.

Open it back up.

Let's see how long PCs last THEN.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

November 02, 2017, 01:57:58 PM #112 Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 02:00:24 PM by Fredd
Quote from: ShaLeah on November 02, 2017, 10:59:56 AM
Bring back the halflings.

Open it back up.

Let's see how long PCs last THEN.

While not related to tuluk really. I 100% support this. Halflings had one of the neatest cultures I ever got to read about.

I'de love the chance to play them.
Make them Karama 2 I'de say, since Pvp is kinda built in.

Quote from: evilcabbage on November 02, 2017, 10:07:33 AM
there are plenty of things you can skin in there that most certainly are very useful.

not everything has to have something people 'require', or 'need', just something people 'want'.

Not to mention, the plants.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

It's mostly the plants that make the Gray Forest worth going into.

Just please bring back Tuluk and its rich culture and clans. It is my favorite part of this game and without it, it is just not as fun for me. I miss the Bardic Circle, the Faithful, the romanesque feel, the cotton fields, and the stark difference to Allanak. I miss the that. I even miss the halfling, fearing that they're waiting in the shadows with their blowdarts to eat my face.

I get that many of you are Pro-Allanak, that's cool. Power to you. I'm Pro-Tuluk. I miss the Light.

I really like this idea of a wilderness Rinth. I guess I've been won over. I think we should use the opportunity to make it the covetted magicker community, except it's miserable. It's filled with gangs constantly vying for power, horrible and strange goings on, bizarre creatures patrolling ash caked alleys, and maybe we don't just open the gates to it, but rather open a tunnel to it. Make it a legitimate dungeon that opens into a den of defiling and nightares.

Or just another raiders den.
He is an individual cool cat. A cat who has taken more than nine lives.

November 02, 2017, 06:20:57 PM #116 Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 06:24:43 PM by Fredd
Quote from: Tiktak on November 02, 2017, 04:47:55 PM
Just please bring back Tuluk and its rich culture and clans. It is my favorite part of this game and without it, it is just not as fun for me. I miss the Bardic Circle, the Faithful, the romanesque feel, the cotton fields, and the stark difference to Allanak. I miss the that. I even miss the halfling, fearing that they're waiting in the shadows with their blowdarts to eat my face.

I get that many of you are Pro-Allanak, that's cool. Power to you. I'm Pro-Tuluk. I miss the Light.

I am probably one of the biggest pro tuluk people you'll meet (there is literally a statue of one of my PC's in the warrens) But if you take game population into account, there is no way we can populate a second city. That would mean doubling the clans, essentially.  The playerbase, and admin base, can't support that.

They could get away with opening one  of the lost tribes I feel though. Maybe two, if they were mid Karma roles. Halflings. Or hey, bring back the old gith race. Mesa Gith would add a good bit of danger to the game, and fun. As much as the halflings would. Each for there own different reasons.

Then theres those treehugging elves everyone misses.

And I'm still pro war-then ruined tuluk

Anyways, TLDR Not enough people. But they could definately open one of the three more PVP proned tribes, and that would have the effect most people want.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Adding neat new stuff brings back people and draws in new ones.

Quote from: Delirium on November 02, 2017, 06:28:12 PM
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

Quote from: Veselka on November 02, 2017, 06:34:02 PM

As the game is right now, it feels small. I run into the same players with new characters more oft than I like. There isn't the buffer of being able to get 'away' from your last character's social circle sometimes. Yes, you can go to Luir's or even Morin's but that isn't always enough, nor does either location have the same opportunities that cities offer. It gets stifling.

And as the great saying goes .... if you build it, they will come. Have a world built for more players, to attract more players, don't downsize and expect that to be enticing.

40 players at peak with major taverns empty doesn't sound like consolidation is going too well, anyways.

--Immanuel Kant

Quote from: Tiktak on November 02, 2017, 07:49:41 PM
Quote from: Veselka on November 02, 2017, 06:34:02 PM

As the game is right now, it feels small. I run into the same players with new characters more oft than I like. There isn't the buffer of being able to get 'away' from your last character's social circle sometimes. Yes, you can go to Luir's or even Morin's but that isn't always enough, nor does either location have the same opportunities that cities offer. It gets stifling.

And as the great saying goes .... if you build it, they will come. Have a world built for more players, to attract more players, don't downsize and expect that to be enticing.

I agree. The thing is, the 'plots' are as much the same as the characters. Your new PC might add in some dynamic to plots, or create plots around themselves. But Tuluk provided a whole different set of plots, of PCs, and long-lived concepts to dig off of.

--Immanuel Kant

Especially considering how many people left because Tuluk closed.

Quote from: Fredd on November 02, 2017, 06:20:57 PM
Quote from: Tiktak on November 02, 2017, 04:47:55 PM

I am probably one of the biggest pro tuluk people you'll meet (there is literally a statue of one of my PC's in the warrens) But if you take game population into account, there is no way we can populate a second city. That would mean doubling the clans, essentially.  The playerbase, and admin base, can't support that.

I have to VIOLENTLY disagree with you on this, as we technically have the same number of staff now as we used to (depending on current activity) while sustaining multiple spheres.

We can support, and have supported, this before. At the time of closure, Tuluk had gone through a lot of changes and iterations by people trying to improve it and, unfortunately, those efforts did not 'revitalize' in the manner they hoped. At that point, to keep it running, it required far too much micromanagement and staff to assist "in the proper way".
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Tuluk doesn't have to come back as... Tuluk was. In fact in my opinion it absolutely shouldn't.

I don't care whether it's destroyed or brought back as some vastly simplified nightmare civilization.

It's just painfully awkward to RP around a ginormous plot-piece that is in extended limbo.

You have this huge opportunity to do crazy fun plot-piece stuff and it's just... sitting there.