N00b influx...

Started by Marauder Moe, October 24, 2003, 08:39:10 PM

Has anyone else noticed that there seem to be a lot of new players both IG and on the boards here?  I'm not sure what my point is, but it just seems remarkable.  Some have been playing well, some not so well (but keep trying, I'm sure most of us have made 'those' mistakes ourselves).  New players are definatly good, though.  Welcome to Zalanthas!  :D

I noticed that too - lots of inquisitive newbies lately, and it's very exciting.  Welcome, all of you!
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

Bring your friends is right, and make sure you play on Sunday, November 2nd.  :twisted:
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

Anyone who ever wants my opinion on any thing PMail me.

Welcome to Armageddon!!!!!
Trust me yu'll see that alot in a short period of time:]
Quote from: FiveDisgruntledMonkeys
Don't enter the Labyrinth.
They don't call it the Screaming Mantis Tavern to be cute. It's called foreshadowing. First there's screaming, then mantis head.

Yup Hello I'm new heh...well kinda new..I've tried Arma before but I quit because it was too difficult to understand at first...now with a little MUD experience under my belt I'd like to try something with a little more roleplaying.

That was me, all logged in now.

Question: What does RPT and HRPT stand for?

Heh obviously I find out what it stands for as soon as I post about it...Role Playing Time and High Role Playing Time- but maybe someone can explain what they are in more detail?

Recommended Playing Time = RPT

Affects portions of the world

Highly Recommended Playing Time = HRPT

Could affect the ENTIRE KNOWN WORLD!!!!!!!
:twisted:
OMG I can't wait

I hope 'Nak switches leader to someone besides Muk
They don't call it the Screaming Mantis Tavern to be cute. It's called foreshadowing. First there's screaming, then mantis head.

RPT: Recommended Play Time.

- Generally player or clan run events or activites that involve a smaller group.

- Anything from hunting with friends to a party at the bar or a match at the arena.

HRPT: Highly Recommended Play Time.

- Generally Player spawned but Imm assisted events that involve a large portion of the world.

- Anything from a massive battle between the armies of north and south to some defiler that cast a spell to make everyone blow up.

- Something that anyone would be stupid to miss. These times are huge changes to the world and the history of the game and this is your chance to be in it. And then die  :twisted:
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

:twisted: I just like that.

I hope it doesn't kill me.. i'll have to break into the guard quarters and hide :)
But yeah.. I played Arm a couple years ago(but stopped because I couldn't last 3 hours) when I had no exp.. then i played other muds that really turned me off on the whole "MUD" idea because of repitition after repitition. then One decided to make me pay $50 when I already donated like $100 which really pissed me off... and I was fighting other people for an NPC that popped up everytime the room was empty.. Which is why I came back :)

Emote continues to ramble on about the experiences.
l armageddon è la mia aggiunta.

Quote from: "sacac"I hope it doesn't kill me.. i'll have to break into the guard quarters and hide

Maybe there is another spot not so dangerous to hide in 'Nak if you are a commoner

-hint hint- the slums or ghetto or 'Nak

Has it just been within the last couple of days, or is this been going on longer?  I wonder if it had anything to do with this top-leve comment on slashdot:

http://games.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=83465&cid=7301513

It's what reminded me of Arm and made me come back.

Quoted by the guy on there :) Hecubes (?)
QuoteHeh, I've tried playing Armageddon MUD many a time. Frankly, getting killed by half-giant assasins who suddenly sneak up on you was not my bag. It's really sad because they took my favorite DnD theme world, made a kick ass skill system, and then forced the players into pure elitist roleplaying. WTF is the point of having a skill based game that forces you to sit around in the town square all day engaging in mindless banter with the other schumcks while looking out for elven pick-pockets?

I'm thinking that people looking for permanent death are in the extreme minority. I recall the annoying process of character approval in Armageddon as one of the factors that finally drove me away (besides all the dumbass PK's). Permanent death also makes you avoid risks and seriously slows done the game play, and most people don't have that sort of time to invest. I grew extremely tired of getting quite far in Armageddon, only to be PK'd by some random half giant power gamer (ok, I'm a little bitter). There seemed to be a dual standard in that game.

It just makes me want to play more :) especially that first part :) I have sat in the bars for hours trying to get people to share the information with me :) And that is where RP is the funnest :)
l armageddon è la mia aggiunta.

I think it was the thread on TMS that called us a sex mud.  ;)  Sex sells.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

I have to Agree with AC on that one.. seems the influx also has a bit of a mud sexer smell to em..  :?

Not that I'm judging..at least they're playing.
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

Yer Average N00b here.
I have come to Armageddon exactly because of the accidental advertising made on Slashdot, and it have attracted me with the mentioning of "dark sun", "excellent skill system" and nevertheless "very elitist roleplaying".

The thread is at http://games.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=83465&cid=7301513  It was started by me.

Recently, whenever I have seen a thread come up about MUDs or MMORPGs, I generally speak my piece then mention ArmageddonMUD.  I truly and completely believe that Armageddon is the best there is when it comes to a good RP environment.  It is the perfect mix of RP and code in my opinion.  I imagine there are many others out there who would agree if they just knew this place existed.  Getting a thread that just mentions Armageddon and has a link to the MUD on any page that graces a story Slashdot's top news stories is a few thousand extra hits to Armageddon.  I just make sure that any such comments are insightful and isn't a blatent advertisment.  The comment is the reason why I post and why it gets modded up so that people will see it, but mentioning Armageddon is nice bonus.

If you ever wanted to see something utterly horrifying, simply get Armageddon's link on one of Slashdots top news stories.  Can we say good by server?

Welcome to all of you. Traditionally this mud has had a steep learning curve. We've been trying to even that out somewhat over the past few years, but it is a complex world.

The following links may be of interest to you:
http://www.armageddon.org/intro/helpers.html (player helpers)
http://www.armageddon.org/intro/whatyouknow.html (What your character would know)
http://www.armageddon.org/rp/racial/ (roleplaying the different races)

The newbie help file, which you can access by typing "help newbie"
from within the game, has a lot of useful info, as does the top40 help file, which you can access by typing "help top40"
from within the game.

Some of the players here have been around over a decade, including myself - may your adventures be as interesting and intriguing as ours have been.

Cheers,

Sanvean

Ok, now I've been here on and off for over a decade and I did not know of the top40...grumble, sigh, where is that n00b stamp at.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

A top40 helpfile!? I think thats some new invention Sanvean is trying to pass off as old. I've never heard of it.

Meh :)

Creeper
21sters Unite!

Creeper: The Perpetual Newb
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!