Reopen the Akei'Ta Var

Started by Synthesis, July 12, 2017, 12:52:31 PM

The addition of subguild magickers is a change that basically has ATV written all over it.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Didn't they briefly re-open a couple years ago?  What was the reason for closing the clan again?

Re-open alla da things!  THE THINGS!  OPEN THEM!

*thumbs up*
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

They're just so remote, being a clan of desert elves that don't really interact with the other established tribes in the game.

With the closure of Tuluk, and their general area being... East and Southeast of Tuluk... they have very little social interaction outside of being "hippie Land Protectors of the East".

That said, I would not mind seeing a less "kill all the gith always forever so many gith omg gith" tribe opened up, but I really think efforts would be better focused on something else. But I do agree, subguild magickers were basically made for the hippie tribe.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on July 12, 2017, 01:16:08 PM
They're just so remote, being a clan of desert elves that don't really interact with the other established tribes in the game.

With the closure of Tuluk, and their general area being... East and Southeast of Tuluk... they have very little social interaction outside of being "hippie Land Protectors of the East".

That said, I would not mind seeing a less "kill all the gith always forever so many gith omg gith" tribe opened up, but I really think efforts would be better focused on something else. But I do agree, subguild magickers were basically made for the hippie tribe.

Pretty sure the ATV camp moved, but whatever happened happened during a period of time that I wasn't' playing the game, so I don't know what up with that.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I love the concept of the ATV, and was able to play one for a bit during its brief re-opening a couple years ago.  IIRC from a staff post, it closed primarily because the main staff member in question who was supporting it is no longer on staff. 

The ATV are territorial though (they have the best territory in the game), so it'd be a bit like playing an SLK.  The closing of Tuluk shouldn't affect their potential for interaction much, however, since there is still northern PCs to interact with.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

July 12, 2017, 01:39:22 PM #6 Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 02:12:59 PM by Riev
Quote from: Synthesis on July 12, 2017, 01:25:09 PM
Quote from: Riev on July 12, 2017, 01:16:08 PM

Pretty sure the ATV camp moved, but whatever happened happened during a period of time that I wasn't' playing the game, so I don't know what up with that.

They are like the Arabet camps now. They're a wandering tribe. I've caught them in a couple different areas, I think.

July 12, 2017, 01:57:28 PM #7 Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 09:58:22 AM by Molten Heart
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

July 12, 2017, 02:13:47 PM #8 Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 03:45:44 PM by Delirium

- Delirium

Watch the in-character info, guys. Had to moderate a post. Thanks!

Got to it before I did, someone pointed out I was being naughty. Thanks, hun! Basically, I was saying there's a very good reason this is probably not going to happen right now.

+1 open all the things
"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson

https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

Love the different elf tribes. I want to see them open for play.
He is an individual cool cat. A cat who has taken more than nine lives.

Tuluk closing was one of the reasons the ATV were closed again after being open a short while. There were also a few other issues that combined resulted in the tribe's closing around the last gith war. I doubt it will open again anytime soon. While the Anyali fascinate me, it appears staff don't want tribes open that are purely northlands based unless Tuluk is reopened in some form and also Anyali hasn't been open since like 2005? Seems more likely they'd reopen the Jul Tavan, but with Malken contemplating playing again maybe it's a bad idea...  ;)

I really want to have a go at a desert elf again, but the summary for the open tribes just don't give me any desire to play in them.  Am I overly salty about the Red Fangs being vanished years later?  Yep. 

Would give northern hunters some actual opposition and danger, I approve.

Quote from: Inks on August 08, 2017, 06:19:54 AM
Would give northern hunters some actual opposition and danger, I approve.

But it would kind of be the only reason for the ATV to exist, aggravating and bothering Northern Hunters that happen to be hunting on THAT side of Tuluk. I think they'd need to be slightly more fleshed out than "Grasslands Wardens" as they're too often portrayed

August 08, 2017, 09:50:28 AM #21 Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 06:23:17 AM by Molten Heart
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

The ATV is one of my favorite clans and I'd be happy to see them open for play again. It would really require a staff member to weigh in on the likeliness of that happening, but when I last discussed it with Eurynomos via requests in late 2015 it was obvious the new, expanded docs needed quite a bit of work and a few in-game things needed to be sorted out too - all in all not the smallest of projects. To simplify it, there was neither interest or resources to keep the ATV going and they wanted to focus on the Tablelands instead, in regards to the d-elf tribes (remember, the Gith War HRPT kicked off shortly after). A more living northlands would be great, especially with the ATV around, and who knows, maybe current staff wanna give it a go again. I'd be positively surprised if that's the case!

Open more than one tribe in the northlands at the same time and they'll both have people to interact with and trade with on a regular basis besides rando hunters.

Yes that'd be helpful, but not having other people around wasn't the only or most important issue.

Which would go against the reason they closed Tuluk (or one of them) to begin with. The North was supposed to kind of end up a "we're not going to hugely support that sphere of the game so that we can consolidate and focus our efforts in other places" area to be in. Not that staff weren't watching or weren't willing/able to help, but that their focus would not be on Morin's or Northern issues.

Opening the ATV, opening 'another' tribe to give them something to do... kind of flies in the face of that. Unless the ATV somehow take over Tuluk and re-open it as the new Northlands Delt Trading Extravaganza, now with Vestrics!

Well, I'd like them to fly in the face of that.

Haha, talk about tree hugging bunny lovers then.. ;) Though the idea of a d-elf ATV sorcerer king is quite appealing, in a twisted way.

I loved ATV. Far more than slk or sun runners.

I hate the D elf restrictions on travel. As atv I took a lot of pilgimages to see different environments and hippily commune with the trees and bugs and whatnot and it was one of my favorite experiences.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Things I like about ATV:
- their beliefs create a natural conflict with other PC's
- their tribal lands share area with other hunting/travel grounds of other PC's, which is better for interaction and conflict with other PC's

Things I don't like:
- all this 'harmony with the land' BS doesn't feel very armageddony to me, the land is cruel, it wants to devour you
- power ranger hippies

Would I like it open:
- overall, I vote yes if only for the 'get off my land' conflict

What I would do different:
- I'd play an elementalist, but instead of being in harmony with my element/nature, I'd try to rp more of a bondage situation, where the element demands obedience, sacrifice and rituals to avoid the tribe being punished and oppressed by the land

August 08, 2017, 12:34:52 PM #30 Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 12:40:21 PM by Riev
Tuluk being taken over by an elven sorcerer king bent on preservation, both of themselves and the land, who tree-hugs resources and holds most of the wood and northern wildlife in an iron-fist is probably the most amazing thing I've ever heard.

Maybe even mix in the "control the elements" portion Roughneck is talking about, where the ATV try and force the land to grow things it shouldn't. Like increasingly-mad Dasari.

Oh man. Please.

Edit: It'd even make somewhat sense in Tuluki standards, being 'nice' to everyone but not trusting a damn person. Every elf in the city is out for themselves, and you know it, but you can only trust your close family. Or CAN you?

Added to edit: Except no way would this ever happen. Canonically, not a chance.

Quote from: Riev on August 08, 2017, 12:34:52 PM
Tuluk being taken over by an elven sorcerer king bent on preservation, both of themselves and the land, who tree-hugs resources and holds most of the wood and northern wildlife in an iron-fist is probably the most amazing thing I've ever heard.

Maybe even mix in the "control the elements" portion Roughneck is talking about, where the ATV try and force the land to grow things it shouldn't. Like increasingly-mad Dasari.

Oh man. Please.

Edit: It'd even make somewhat sense in Tuluki standards, being 'nice' to everyone but not trusting a damn person. Every elf in the city is out for themselves, and you know it, but you can only trust your close family. Or CAN you?

Added to edit: Except no way would this ever happen. Canonically, not a chance.

that has to be one of the best ideas I've ever read on the GDB.

I don't know that I buy Tuluk being closed being a good reason to close a tribe in the first place. The tablelands doesn't exactly have a city state on it, either.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

The ATV was open for a while after Tuluk closed. It was not the only or even primary reason, but it contributed to the decision. Clearly, staff do not focus on the northlands, and at the time (late 2015) they wanted tribal focus on the Tablelands. Tribes aside, there is still no clan focus on the north.

Open ATV...

But also open Anyali! They've always seemed cool.

The anyali were neat but they were also a bunch of peace loving hippes that seemed really out of place in the world.

You'd have to adjust their docs a good bit.

Bump up overall average players actively playing by 12, and I'd be all for reopening things.

When I play, I'm lucky to see 25 people even online. Give me 30-35 people online during off-peak and I'm down for Anyali too!

Quote from: Riev on August 08, 2017, 12:34:52 PM

Oh man. Please.

I f'ing LOVE this.

Creating essentially an elven majority city state in the north would be amazing. The racial tension would be truly epic.. City elves posturing as nobles in the north, essentially stealing the Houses in some 'take over/purge'.. Elven Templars trying to subjugate D-Elves in an attempt to bolster their ranks and bring them into the fold.. Now THAT is some ginka-worthy drama.

You guys should realize that An Elven government will be even more brutal then a human one and such a city is basically non sustainable. Only reason why any city does not break down into a massive bloody civil war/exodus is the fact that the humans are the ones oppressing the elves, not the elves oppressing the humans.

Quote from: Dar on August 15, 2017, 02:25:17 AM
You guys should realize that An Elven government will be even more brutal then a human one and such a city is basically non sustainable. Only reason why any city does not break down into a massive bloody civil war/exodus is the fact that the humans are the ones oppressing the elves, not the elves oppressing the humans.

You realize that this fact is exactly what makes such a concept entirely fun to take part in. The speed at which their citystate crumbles is relative, but the RP journey of awesome it would be in the meantime would be epic.

Elven communities have thrived on Zalanthas for a good long time.  All that changes is the weaknesses in their form of government.

That being said...more 'temporary' changes to the world is actually awesome.  Particularly if they're filled with strife.  Hell.  Make a Game of Thrones-like zombie army in the sandstorms that wanders around the wastes hunting life.  Awesome.  Make Allanak take over the north and another rebellion.  Awesome.  Make a world-wide elven rebellion in open war with humans.  Awesome.

It doesn't matter if it will stand forever.  What matters is that it provides things to do and take part in.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I've always been partial to a hero-gith uniting all the gith tribes in the Known and securing their place as the owners of the Wastes.

However, I still feel that the ATV, like other clans, only work when there are people to interact with. They aren't "Northland Hippie Game Wardens", they have their own stuff going on, and trade, and etc. I think more people would need to be around, or more opportunities in the North would need to open up, and that just isn't going to happen.

With all that is going on in Tuluk (at least in my mind, I was there when it shut down) I think that an angry tribe of hippie magicker elves could certainly do something to Tuluk and its Bagheads. To me, Muk Utep would never have let something like that happen to his own people considering how he loves even the commoners in his city. So something is up, blocking his ability, or he's off gallivanting around with Tektolnes on their secret trysts. It doesn't just have to be "one day Tuluk died, now there are elves, yahhhh!", but I think that'd be an interesting storyline that could lead to excitement and a "short-lived" story arc.

After only 10-20 years, the elven dominion starts to wane as mutated plants and failure to take the forest back from the kryl leave them blaming each other. During this time, some Tuluki heroes rise up from the shadows and take the head off the snake. With the sorcerous power no longer able to leech off the remnants of Muk Utep's power, His Glory grows again. Children are born with His Gift for psionicism, and His Prowess for battle. As Tuluk rises from the Ashes, Allanak seizes their opportunity at an early foothold in the young citystate. Its now separated into two factions. The Southern half of the city is in Tuluki hands, but if you cross Dark Moon Road, be careful. Everything from Freil's Rest to the north has been ransacked and taken over by the Southern Heathens, establishing supplies and a foothold for years to come.

The staff finally opens the Tuluki gates and allow gameplay inside.

Two thirds of the entire VNPCs are gone. Every building is destroyed. Ever bit of coin that used to be in the Nenyuk's is gone. The gardens withered. Shit and debris everywhere.  The newly chargenned show up and find a a blood covered Templar, sprawled on top of a pile of skulls, where the Sanctuary used to be, suckling onto a human phalanx.

"What the hell happened!?!?!?!" the newly chargenned character asks.

The blood covered templar shifts his eyes, "Ummh ... Elves did it? Umh. Yeh! They've uh took over and did all of umh ... that. But that's alright. Time to repopulate. Come on in, my children."

Having played a (relatively) long-lived ATV PC in the last iteration of the tribe, I can say with confidence that there are a whole bunch of problems (code and otherwise) that need to be fixed before it is playable. The tribe struggled to sustain a player base before it was closed and there are reasons for that. Without Tuluk as a playable city, it doesn't make a ton of sense to me to do the necessary revamp work for a clan that will have 2-4 PCs playing in mostly isolation.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Quote from: HavokBlue on August 18, 2017, 07:25:54 PM
Having played a (relatively) long-lived ATV PC in the last iteration of the tribe, I can say with confidence that there are a whole bunch of problems (code and otherwise) that need to be fixed before it is playable. The tribe struggled to sustain a player base before it was closed and there are reasons for that. Without Tuluk as a playable city, it doesn't make a ton of sense to me to do the necessary revamp work for a clan that will have 2-4 PCs playing in mostly isolation.

Which describes my experience in every elf tribe or the Arabet. Heck, I've been in tribes before when I was the ONLY one in it.

Tribes are for telling your buddies OOC, "hey, come play with me", and then you and one or two friends go fill out a tribe for awhile, breathe some life into it, and then everyone dies after awhile and the tribe goes down to a vNPC population only until someone else gives it a shot.

Never played in a forest elf tribe, but it sounds like it'd be fun.

Quote from: Miradus on August 18, 2017, 08:43:14 PM
you and one or two friends go fill out a tribe for awhile, breathe some life into it, and then everyone dies after awhile and the tribe goes down to a vNPC population only until someone else gives it a shot.

Never played in a forest elf tribe, but it sounds like it'd be fun.

Yep.  I don't enter a tribe expecting other PCs (when they are there, that's fantastic); I go into a tribe because I want to enliven that part of the Known.  As long as my PC can enter Luir's, I'll be fine.

Now that I'm better at winning Armageddon, I would love to play in the ATV again.  I bet I wouldn't get kryl'd right off the bat.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

My hope when I enter anything like a tribe is that others will see there's someone there having fun, then their next death they'll roll up and join me.

And hopefully I can win Armageddon someday like you. :)

Ive found my personal win at Arm lately, doing real fine with it.

On the other hand, I do one day want to try my hand at a tribal elf just because I know it will be fun if there are others with me.

What is wrong with all of you? The current fad is Celves. CELVES. Adjust your hopes and dreams accordingly

Quote from: Hauwke on August 19, 2017, 01:32:41 AM
Ive found my personal win at Arm lately, doing real fine with it.

On the other hand, I do one day want to try my hand at a tribal elf just because I know it will be fun if there are others with me.

Give it a try. Desert elves (at least the Soh ... never been anything else) are a lot of fun, particularly if there's one or two others who aren't overly concerned about longevity. A desert elf has elevated stats (the master race) and great survival skills once you know the Pah pretty well. It's actually much easier to play there once you know what to avoid than it is anywhere else.

Sort of like being a city elf in the rinth. It's the safest place in the game in terms of hostile mobs ... just watch out for other people.