Coder Transparency - Bandages

Started by nessalin, May 23, 2017, 03:40:07 PM

Quote from: Riev on June 06, 2017, 08:47:13 AM
If this works how I'm thinking, I like the idea that "anyone" can attempt to at least stabilize someone, and get them to someone with a better handle on things.

Maybe they take you to a magicker to heal you because they're the only one online. Maybe they don't. But its better than bleeding to death for 30minutes because nobody is online.
Yeah, as long as we are clear.  Anyone can ATTEMPT to bandage but that's not to say they will be very good at it.  It just means it will let you try!

Quote from: Nathvaan on June 06, 2017, 11:22:20 AM
Quote from: Riev on June 06, 2017, 08:47:13 AM
If this works how I'm thinking, I like the idea that "anyone" can attempt to at least stabilize someone, and get them to someone with a better handle on things.

Maybe they take you to a magicker to heal you because they're the only one online. Maybe they don't. But its better than bleeding to death for 30minutes because nobody is online.
Yeah, as long as we are clear.  Anyone can ATTEMPT to bandage but that's not to say they will be very good at it.  It just means it will let you try!

Oh. Yeah. Absolutely, you aren't stabilizing someone in critical condition if you've been a dung shoveler your whole life, but who knows? Maybe with the right bandages and situation, you can at least stop them from dying.

I'm sure it hasn't happened OFTEN, but to be at negative HPs and you can only wait and hope the NPC doesn't kill you, or that your HP hits positive, is boring and nervewracking at the same time. At least with this, anyone CAN at least try to help, instead of borrowing a knife from John.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I've killed rather a lot of people on accident with mercy on just because they went incapped and I couldn't bandage them.

I, and my future victims, think this is a great change.

If your droog is laying there with their chest cracked open breathing their last, couldn't hurt to shove a few wads of bandages into the opening, pray one up to Shai-Hulud, and hope for the best.  Fair chance you'll end up killing them. Might be that was going to happen, anyway.
"Unless you have a suitcase and a ticket and a passport,
The cargo that they're carrying is you"

Not sure if this is the proper place for feedback for this change, however...

Having played with this for the last couple of days, and having needed to be bandaged several times during those days, I do like how this is working much better than the old system. Haven't experienced any issues, yet.

I, also, really like how this is working so far.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Been toying with this some as of late. Sleeping seems more or less required with certain levels of wounded-ness (with lowest quality bandages, though) even at higher levels of skill. Will need to play with it more.
Quote from: Is Friday
If you ever hassle me IC for not playing much that means that I'm going to play even less or I'll forever write you off as a neckbeard chained to his computer. So don't be a dick.

Quote from: nessalin on May 23, 2017, 03:40:07 PM
Additionally almost any injury will be capable of being bandaged.

When will the code be fixed to allow a PC to bandage NPCs back from near-death again?
He is an individual cool cat. A cat who has taken more than nine lives.

I never saw the old bandage code. I loved its current version. It's pretty realistic. Just one question;

Logically bandaging someone else should be easier than bandaging yourself. Is it accounted for in the code?

Quote from: zztri on November 24, 2018, 05:50:34 AM
I never saw the old bandage code. I loved its current version. It's pretty realistic. Just one question;

Logically bandaging someone else should be easier than bandaging yourself. Is it accounted for in the code?

It is.

Not a real fan of new bandage code...But meh, fine.

One part I REALLY do not like is the pass fail on combat vs bandages. As it stands, no matter how well you are bandaged, if you enter combat with anything at all, they fall off. This IMO, is wrong. Poorly bandaged with scraps...Meh, fine, But expertly bandaged with high end bandages...it should take a LOT to make them come off.

As it sits, your 50 day warrior gets into a fight with a rat, something that cannot touch him and he will kill in 2 rounds...BOOM, bandages gone.

Oh, I can move, run, ride, craft, but if I swat a fly...BLAMMO...bandages give way.

Yeah...that should be fixed.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Haha. Yeah, that should certainly be fixed.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

If I recall correctly running is out of the window too. Which is pretty silly for your elf PCs who are essentially trapped stationery until they're topped off. But my experience with this I was using crappy lengths of cloth.

December 01, 2018, 08:11:54 PM #38 Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 08:18:33 PM by Vex
QuoteBeing in combat causes your bandages to loosen.
A striped sand-raptor narrowly evades your charge.

DELETED>
Being in combat causes your bandages to loosen.
You <DELETED> a striped sand-raptor's arm.
A striped sand-raptor slashes at you, but you dodge out of the way.

DELETED>
Your bandages tear loose and fall off.
A striped sand-raptor slashes at you, but you dodge out of the way.

This was from earlier.

Skill level Master, at maxed or very near it. I used a regular white bandage, made from linen. I don't have a capture of it, but, with with one of the best bandages in the game, the bandage remained in place for several combat rounds, and remained in place when I'd killed my opponent.

With the same character, at the same level, just now, I was able to run five rooms, with bandages progressively loosening, before the bandage fell off (when attempting to run into a 6th room). The same level of skill, same type of bandage.

I have not tried running with the "best" bandages, however, evidence indicates, it'll behave in a similar manner.

Working as intended, and in a reasonable manner, imo.
"Mortals do drown so."

Shrug, if so, I have just never seen it....every time, off first round of combat. No matter quality/skill.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Not sure if this is the proper place, but since it has to do with the new bandage code I figured why not.

Would it be possible to have bodies dragged to the pile not be instalooted of all their clothing?

If their clothing was left alone, it would be a decent source of salvage scraps to learn bandaging.
"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"

The people doing the looting likely have similar ideas. 

Quote from: Grogerif on September 15, 2020, 10:21:49 PM
The people doing the looting likely have similar ideas.
It's not real players who loot them, it's VNPCs  I dropped a body there once and it was stripped clean in like ten seconds
"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"

That's weird, I loot clothes from there all the time, or at least I used to.  Maybe it's something new?

Bandages have been changed again recently although it might not be obvious to some. Any info about that?

Quote from: Pariah on September 15, 2020, 04:24:05 PM
Not sure if this is the proper place, but since it has to do with the new bandage code I figured why not.

Would it be possible to have bodies dragged to the pile not be instalooted of all their clothing?

If their clothing was left alone, it would be a decent source of salvage scraps to learn bandaging.

This is players.

QuoteVigorous activity such as fighting, running, climbing, falling, etc... will lower the duration of the bandage, but not its effectiveness.

This seems to be instantaneous 100% of the time, not a lowering of duration.
Was this changed at some point, or has it always been "buggy" in relation to the originally stated intent.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.