How to fight/duel effectively?

Started by RiftTalon, May 21, 2017, 07:24:40 PM

To me, the use of 'threaten' has allayed this a bit. Someone can rush in and threaten you, emoting or saying something. It puts a slight slow-mo to PvP scenes as I've seen them unfold, recently.

I don't think emoting = role-play, but at the same time, I don't think flee w;s;e;s;w;w;s is role-play either. These are extremes. Someone can be thinking or feeling, or reacting after the fact, or tossing out emotes as they are running, without having to submit their RP to the court of public opinion. Ultimately, I think, Staff would decide if someone is blatantly disregarding RP for the sake of their PC's longevity, just as they would decide if someone is just a Griefer and not putting in any particular thought/direction to PKing people.
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

I have had plenty of times my PC was attacked without emote with one of the enter room bash/charge whatever methods. I tend to just be flattered that they were that afraid of him. Still roleplay though.

As to adding in the extra icing, it all depends on how much of an upper hand you have.

The more you have the less risk to it. Now, if I am taking my single PC verses multiple PCs...guess how many emotes your getting? A Big fat zero till near the end. And I will not feel in the least bit bad about it.

On the other side, if my uber 50day combat PC backed by his 3 uber combat PC buddies comes on yours alone...I will work to give the best most flowing and intense scene with emotes, thinks and shit as possible...course, if when I enter the room you just go, flee self;s;s;s;e;s;e;s;e...then when next we meet it will be all code, but I will have mercy on and try and give you a good death emote anyway. :)
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Absolutely true about threaten, and chase!  They're wonderful additions!
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

the amount of emote or say or shout you can type within the space of a delay of a command or a reel or whatever is definitely roleplay.

if someone is silent while being killed..they are silent.

But if they say,

'Please... don't..'

Well. Gets your heart wrenching just a little bit, doesn't it?
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

As I stated earlier in the thread, I've had instances during fights where halfway through I outright disengaged, and emoted backing off about a cord, still ready to fight but backing off.

The other person did so as well, and after a standoff, more roleplay happened.

I've had instances where all the RP was in semotes and all I got was a mantis head because I was in a store (wrong place, wrong time).

If it makes sense for my character to run, I'm going to flee. My character would run away. I may try to put thinks, and if I think I got away, emote ducking behind a large sand dune, but my character would run and they would run fast. The issue with running is when someone spam-runs into a compound/clan gates knowing you can't come inside, despite having just been stabbed and dealt like 80% of their life in under a second.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

April 03, 2019, 10:36:31 AM #30 Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 11:56:21 AM by Sokotra
Quote from: X-D on April 03, 2019, 04:09:57 AM
I have had plenty of times my PC was attacked without emote with one of the enter room bash/charge whatever methods. I tend to just be flattered that they were that afraid of him. Still roleplay though.

As to adding in the extra icing, it all depends on how much of an upper hand you have.

The more you have the less risk to it. Now, if I am taking my single PC verses multiple PCs...guess how many emotes your getting? A Big fat zero till near the end. And I will not feel in the least bit bad about it.

On the other side, if my uber 50day combat PC backed by his 3 uber combat PC buddies comes on yours alone...I will work to give the best most flowing and intense scene with emotes, thinks and shit as possible...course, if when I enter the room you just go, flee self;s;s;s;e;s;e;s;e...then when next we meet it will be all code, but I will have mercy on and try and give you a good death emote anyway. :)

Maybe they ran because they expected the larger group to kill them immediately.  It's kind of a vicious cycle.

Also, having played plenty of loner/scoundrel type characters in the past, it's frustrating and makes you hesitant when you've tried to realistically roleplay to reasonably escape certain situations only to have your roleplay ignored and be forced to completely submit yourself to how they want the situation to play out.

I just try to find some realistic middle ground between coded and uncoded roleplay, but can be difficult when you know the other party has the all round advantage and is bent on ignoring your roleplay for the most part. 

I guess try to give each other the benefit of the doubt, because neither side really has complete context of what the other is all about.

I don't think there's much disagreement here (if there's any at all).

I think we're all roughly on the same page, no?
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Quote from: Sokotra on April 03, 2019, 10:36:31 AM
Also, having played plenty of loner/scoundrel type characters in the past, it's frustrating and makes you hesitant when you've tried to realistically roleplay to reasonably escape certain situations only to have your roleplay ignored and be forced to completely submit yourself to how they want the situation to play out.

I have had PCs die because I ooc/gone that I'm afk for a moment, only to come back to a situation where I'm codedly subdued and placed into a situation where I can't escape. Even though in that situation, I was on the other side of the room, being wary, etc etc. That PC died because I tried to flee and I hadn't scrolled up to see that they said "If you try to run we'll kill you" because they had emoted a full screen of stuff while I was AFK.

That is on them at that point. If you made them aware you were not capable of responding for a moment, they should have at the very least waited until you were back.

On the other hand, I always scroll back and try to read any RP that happened before I so much as touch the enter key to remove the gone flag.

Mostly all on the same page.

Now to another point, I really do wish that AFK command was a flag not just staff can see. Put it in assess......Does not have to have the reason.

Assess dude
Dude is tall
Dude is healthy
Dude is AFK
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Agreed.
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

I agree as I've been PKilled a few times I've been AFK, usually when my internet has been cut off thanks to a power outage or a line has been cut, and that's really irritating when you don't even know how or why you were killed.

Having the AFK flag show when you use the Gone command or have been idle for a time would be very useful.
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

I've yet to be killed by another because I was afk. Many other reasons though, and I've been playing a long time. That said, I think an assess flag that you are afk would be good.
The problem with leadership is inevitably: Who will play God? -Muad'Dib

So let's all go focus on our own roleplay before anyone picks up a stone to throw. -Sanvean

As Cabooze can contest, there are people in this game who will kill your ass while afk, especially if you are AFK.

Are these a minority? I've never been pk'd while afk so IDK.

I've never been PK'd while AFK.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

I have not been KILLED while AFK, just put into situations while unable to respond.

That's why, in the spirit of the thread, fleeing is roleplaying. If SETTING UP the scene is going to get you killed, but your PC wouldn't realistically be standing there taking a beating... run. Nobody WANTS to lose their time invested in a PC, and no killer wants their face/desc to be seen because as soon as there is a 'bad guy' in game, everyone 'tok-piles on them just for interaction.

Quote from: Riev on April 04, 2019, 10:39:40 AMas soon as there is a 'bad guy' in game, everyone 'tok-piles on them just for interaction.

QFT

I've been killed at least twice while AFK/Disconnected. Once I was killed as a half giant when I got disconnected along the north road. I did see that Soh beforehand. I imagine they simply didn't care and had arrows to waste on a big non-moving target. So yes, I'm down with a flag.

I hate to be that guy but this seems to have devolved well beyond the original topic, and well beyond what's good for the new player section.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC