Coder Transparency - Cure/Poison Crafting

Started by nessalin, January 20, 2017, 09:04:29 AM

#12 and #31 are the hardest parts to get.  Focus on those and the rest should fall in place quickly.
"Unless you have a suitcase and a ticket and a passport,
The cargo that they're carrying is you"

hi nessalin,
It was finally when I thought I had a good understanding of the new system, but your statment confused me again:

"The brew command uses a purely dynamic system (an object with certain qualities is considered a valid ingredient) while the craft command uses a purely static system (only exact objects can be used in specific recipes).  The cure/poison crafting brings the dynamic nature of the brew command into the crafting system."

In which do you imply that with the new CRAFT code, only exact objects can be used in specific recipes, meaning that, in order to build a cure X, only specific objects (herbs, whatever) can be used. This is different than what I perceived. I thought cure X can be crafted with a different combination of different objects (based on their qualities)

I am still pretty sure that if the old brew is removed today, 90% of playerbase will die to common poisons. It seriously is complicated, and the combinations are (not going to reveal much, but based on what I have found) incredibly high. (around quarter million, in combinations of 1,2,3,4 and 5)

Feel free to delete parts you find sensitive, sorry

Actually he's saying the opposite. The new brew crafting can accept multiple recipes for the same result.

So fluffberries and elfbark might make cure #1... but fuzzleaf and kittyflower also makes cure #1. Because fluffberries and fuzzleaf, and elfbark and kittyflower, have similar properties.

The rest I highly encourage you to figure out through experimentation, it's fun!

Tip: use the 'assess' and 'taste' command on herbs.

Thanks for the feedback.

After a few months of watching the new code being used I'm starting to think it's overly complicated, more so than the magic code prior to the addition of the symbol command.

July 14, 2017, 11:05:17 AM #79 Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 09:56:16 AM by Molten Heart
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

We could throw out a sponsored role app for Dasari slaves, to undertake a grand experiment by the noble. That way it'd be in the same game world as the rest of the playerbase works out of, but with enough relative isolation that no one gets interrupted/pked by politics. Short-term experimental player-run PCs, without having to store our current PCs.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

July 14, 2017, 11:13:02 AM #81 Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 09:56:09 AM by Molten Heart

-James Brown

July 14, 2017, 11:17:25 AM #82 Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 11:26:25 AM by purpledragon
I agree with Lizzie that is is quite fun.
It is extremely! Despite the complications, I would feel so disappointed if it's reverted back :( (Some players have invested so much so far I believe)

The only recommendation I can have could be to include more HINTS at plant helpfiles, but not on individuals, the COMBINATIONS.
If it is mentioned in helpfiles as such "These leaves are reputed to cleanse the blood, when used alongside .... and ...."

From there, players can link herbs to tastes, and discover pieces of puzzles while having a great fun.

I am not telling to reveal all out for the deadliest of poison crafts, but for the common 3-4 cures.

I like the idea of some sort of "lore" command. You could roll a lot of things into it, but based on your skill level in brew, you could type "lore brewing" and see what recipes your character would have figured out.

Maybe that makes it too simple?

Quote from: nessalin on July 14, 2017, 10:30:55 AM
Thanks for the feedback.

After a few months of watching the new code being used I'm starting to think it's overly complicated, more so than the magic code prior to the addition of the symbol command.

You're right that it's complicated and difficult, but I think it'd be okay if there was more of an indication about what your typical herbs do in the helpfiles, representing some common herbal lore. Right now I don't know where to even start learning what does what. I'm completely lost and it's very hard to test things out and find out IC in this case.

The inability to test the results of a poison/cure attempt is the leading problem that's come up with the system being used so far.  Some questionable hoops have been jumped through to justify testing (which is fine, really, it's new and we're all seeing what works and what doesn't).

I, for one, like more complex systems in this kind of thing.  Not because of hard-mode, but because in my mind, more complex systems have more room for future development.

In other words...complex leads me to believe that poison crafting, poisoning, and medicine will all be very viable professions.

In the past, with simplicity, it just wasn't, because everyone and their gortok was pumping those things out like mad, and it was so transparent for -everyone- to understand everything that it was...well...gimmicky.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

July 14, 2017, 12:10:46 PM #87 Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 09:55:52 AM by Molten Heart

-James Brown

One difficulty is that there isn't really an IC reason for medicines to suddenly be harder to figure out, so it's kind of weird that all of a sudden no one knows the medicinal effects of common plants anymore.

The helpfiles do give some hints already, but I think going through the plant helpfiles and updating them would be a good solution.

So, I've had more time to play with this, and I have two new questions:

• Is it expected behavior that two items of the same type might have different (or might change their) herbal values?  I had some stuff happen that seemed kinda weird when tasting two things of the exact same (stackable) type.  Namely, I got two different messages.  Not sure if it's a bug, or expected.
  • Should we be treating mash cures like transitory things?  (Are they transitory things?)  So, for example, should we consider it unrealistic to have a bagful of puffy balls of powder, or whatever?  Taking the chance that tablet crafting will destroy a perfectly functional mash cure seems a little like gluttony for punishment, otherwise.
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

This is awesome and now I want to try playing again.
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

Having the same questions that James had back in August and don't see any answers....
What kind of jerkoff shakes a tent in the dark? Go out there and see who or what that is.

If you have questions, the best place for the correct staff to notice and respond to them is the request tool.

Bringing this up now since the full conversion happened:

Are tablets that were made from when brew was still enabled, now ineffective at what they once cured/caused? Or has nothing changed in that regard?

Or is it simply that what's left in the game-world of them are now all that there will ever be of the 'old' cures?

Nothing changed functionality wise with tablets, the only change was that the old brew code has been shut down.

April 21, 2018, 02:05:37 AM #96 Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 02:09:14 AM by sleepyhead
So, small suggestion. Can we not make it so that vials are destroyed when trying to craft with them and failing? It's so weird imagining that my PC...what...trips and shatters the vial all over the place every time he/she tries to make a liquid dose and can't quite manage? Heh.

I'm digging playing with the new code, btw. There are still some weird things but I think it's more figure-outable than it seemed at first.

Have you given any more thought to being able to taste mashes?

When you're in the process of brewing multiple items over multiple RL days, it's pretty annoying to try to keep track of which sticky ball of yellow powder came from which object.

I mean...the only way to do it is to keep numerous container objects on you and religiously separate items of different taste into designated containers.  Which...yeah, okay, it's workable, but it's pretty annoying, and if you accidentally f*** it up, it's chaos.  You could accidentally end up with a tablet that does god knows what, which means you essentially have to junk everything of that color in that pouch just to be sure that your mistakenly-placed powder ball isn't going to f*** up your system.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on September 02, 2018, 02:52:42 PM
Have you given any more thought to being able to taste mashes?

When you're in the process of brewing multiple items over multiple RL days, it's pretty annoying to try to keep track of which sticky ball of yellow powder came from which object.

I mean...the only way to do it is to keep numerous container objects on you and religiously separate items of different taste into designated containers.  Which...yeah, okay, it's workable, but it's pretty annoying, and if you accidentally f*** it up, it's chaos.  You could accidentally end up with a tablet that does god knows what, which means you essentially have to junk everything of that color in that pouch just to be sure that your mistakenly-placed powder ball isn't going to f*** up your system.

Does using analyze on your mashes or tablets solve that problem?
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

Yeah the command is analyze, not taste. I have had to go ooc to explain this to people IG, so it'd be nice if taste in this instance returned the same thing as analyze, or maybe gave you a hint that analyze might be the command you want